IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Have factory sound system, want to upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-09, 01:07 PM
anonymous4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have factory sound system, want to upgrade

I’ve just leased a IS250 with the stock sound system and I’m unsatisfied with it. What are my options? Is it possible to upgrade to a ML system? If not, I’m thinking of replacing the speakers with aftermarket speakers, how many of the 13 speakers should I swap?
Old 01-05-09, 01:49 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

The Search Function would have brought you here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-overview.html

It's a pretty good read

Lou
Old 01-05-09, 04:27 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

yes its possible to upgrade to ml. only problem is that its gonna cost u a pretty penny. try to find the dash in the trunk yard would be a start. then u will have to get the speakers and ur set.
Old 01-05-09, 09:11 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

you'll need to find yourself a ML head unit, amps and speakers.....
Old 01-06-09, 09:12 AM
anonymous4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the ML head unit different than the factory head unit? I heard there was an option to get the ML system without nav for $940-

http://my.is/forums/f159/ml-package-...ilable-351285/

Would this option still be available if I already have my IS? Could I upgrade the system for that price?
Old 01-06-09, 10:01 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anonymous4
How is the ML head unit different than the factory head unit? I heard there was an option to get the ML system without nav for $940-

http://my.is/forums/f159/ml-package-...ilable-351285/

Would this option still be available if I already have my IS? Could I upgrade the system for that price?
1) The CD Headunit with ML and non-ML are likely the same
2) ML with Navigation is a 6-disc DVD changer
3) If you have a car without ML, you cannot upgrade it to ML for $940

You need to buy an ML amp and ML speakers, maybe you could find them in a junkyard or ebay.
Old 01-06-09, 10:49 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
1) The CD Headunit with ML and non-ML are likely the same
2) ML with Navigation is a 6-disc DVD changer
3) If you have a car without ML, you cannot upgrade it to ML for $940

You need to buy an ML amp and ML speakers, maybe you could find them in a junkyard or ebay.
I have ML without Nav. It's an MSRP $940 option, invoice price is $752.

You can't add it after the car is built though.

ML without nav is a 6-disc CD changer- I'd imagine the head unit is different because the amp/wiring connecting to it is different (including number of channels and other things), and my head unit physically says Mark Levinson on it.

Someone with a wiring diagram (or TIS access) could likely tell you exactly how different though.
Old 01-06-09, 11:05 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

The harness connections on the ML DVD unit and the NON ML CD unit are the same. The only difference I can recall is the blue Video feed wire, and a Digital output(Which I dont think is used for CD audio). I installed an Navi and an ML DVD unit into my cousins car.

I suspect the only difference between an ML CD unit and a non ML CD unit is a stamp on the front that says Mark Levinson. The major differences are in the amp and speakers.
Old 01-06-09, 12:52 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

The harness connections on the ML DVD unit and the NON ML CD unit are the same. The only difference I can recall is the blue Video feed wire, and a Digital output(Which I dont think is used for CD audio). I installed an Navi and an ML DVD unit into my cousins car.

I suspect the only difference between an ML CD unit and a non ML CD unit is a stamp on the front that says Mark Levinson. The major differences are in the amp and speakers.
Where does the ML amp get the center channel information then?

I would've expected an additional output on the ML head units for that purpose (I know on previous HUs I've had multiple pre-outs for each channel I needed to direct to an amp)
Old 01-06-09, 03:47 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

^^^^You got so many posts by repeating everything three times

Lou
Old 01-06-09, 08:06 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Where does the ML amp get the center channel information then?

I would've expected an additional output on the ML head units for that purpose (I know on previous HUs I've had multiple pre-outs for each channel I needed to direct to an amp)
Unless you have the DVD changer, I would guess that the center channel is matrixed from your left and right channels. CDs are stereo and do not have surround sound.

On the DVD units, there is a Digital output
Old 01-06-09, 08:27 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

BTW, when I installed the DVD changer into my cousins car without Mark Levinson(no digital input on his amp)... the DVD changer worked without any issues. The sound is processed into Dolby 2.1 instead of 5.1.
Attached Thumbnails Have factory sound system, want to upgrade-3fast009.jpg  
Old 01-06-09, 08:44 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Nope, no DVD changer- you don't get that without the ML -and- nav... the Lexus website continues to provide misinformation on that point. (Which is how I got my ML system for free)

But I suppose my point is, unless you're suggesting there are two different ML amps, one for non-nav and one for nav, then whatever inputs the amp is expecting would need to have the relevant outputs on the head unit.

Unless you're suggesting the amp mixes the l/r channels on both nav and non-nav ML systems for all inputs other than DVD

The fact the DVD changer worked -without- using the digital at all (and indeed without the ML amp) suggests that the DVD changer has nothing to do with the ML audio system itself though

BTW- you're wrong about requiring DVD for surround sound... the ML system in the 2IS will play 5.1 from CD and CD-R according to ML themselves-

http://www.marklevinsonlexus.com/overview.asp?model=is

"DTS 5.1 from CD"

Seems it'd need the center channel info from the head unit for that

Actually, reading further there, the specs tab explicitly says the -head unit- sends it's info to the amp in an "All Digital Signal Path"... again suggesting the ML head unit is different, regardless of having a DVD or CD changer attached to it.

I suppose they could be lying, but I sure wish somebody with TIS access'd just post the diagrams of the backs of the relevant head units (or relevant part #s) to settle it though.
Old 01-06-09, 09:41 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Nope, no DVD changer- you don't get that without the ML -and- nav... the Lexus website continues to provide misinformation on that point. (Which is how I got my ML system for free)

But I suppose my point is, unless you're suggesting there are two different ML amps, one for non-nav and one for nav, then whatever inputs the amp is expecting would need to have the relevant outputs on the head unit.

Unless you're suggesting the amp mixes the l/r channels on both nav and non-nav ML systems for all inputs other than DVD

The fact the DVD changer worked -without- using the digital at all (and indeed without the ML amp) suggests that the DVD changer has nothing to do with the ML audio system itself though

BTW- you're wrong about requiring DVD for surround sound... the ML system in the 2IS will play 5.1 from CD and CD-R according to ML themselves-

http://www.marklevinsonlexus.com/overview.asp?model=is

"DTS 5.1 from CD"

Seems it'd need the center channel info from the head unit for that

Actually, reading further there, the specs tab explicitly says the -head unit- sends it's info to the amp in an "All Digital Signal Path"... again suggesting the ML head unit is different, regardless of having a DVD or CD changer attached to it.

I suppose they could be lying, but I sure wish somebody with TIS access'd just post the diagrams of the backs of the relevant head units (or relevant part #s) to settle it though.
Come on man. I was the 2nd person to install Nav in the IS. Have you seen the back of your CD player? Have you seen the Harness on your ML unit? Try playing DTS 5.1 from CD, let me know how it works out.

Here is the Format Compatibity list from the ML system
Wide Format Compatibility
****(2-channel stereo, 2-channel Surround,
****Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1 from CD, CD-R,
*****DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, *decodes
*****MP3/WMA, includes auxilliary input)

Can you use all those? NO.

Last edited by tqlla3k; 01-07-09 at 03:56 AM.
Old 01-07-09, 04:21 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Come on man. I was the 2nd person to install Nav in the IS. Have you seen the back of your CD player? Have you seen the Harness on your ML unit? Try playing DTS 5.1 from CD, let me know how it works out.

Here is the Format Compatibity list from the ML system
Wide Format Compatibility
****(2-channel stereo, 2-channel Surround,
****Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1 from CD, CD-R,
*****DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, *decodes
*****MP3/WMA, includes auxilliary input)

Can you use all those? NO.

Have YOU seen the harness on the back of my cd player? Or have you just seen the one on a non-ML CD player?

You just explained the ML amp has -more- inputs than the non-ML one. I have an ML amp. I've seen it in my trunk. Therefore it makes sense my HU has more outputs than a non-ML head unit...and thus is not the same unit with a stamp on it.

Have YOU tested 5.1 from a CD on a ML unit? 5 posts ago you said you were guessing about it not using digital from CD, now you're somehow positive it doesn't?

I haven't said I know for sure either way, I'm just reporting what Mark Levinson claims I've got.

The owners manual even lists two different CD head units (A and B) with different settings on em. One is the ML CD unit, one is the non-ML one. Mine displays the settings listed for the ML unit including surround sound. Unless you're suggesting identical head units somehow display different settings by magically knowing what amp is in the trunk (without anything but analog cables in your theory) even though according to you they are identical head units incapable of doing surround in the first place.

If you'd like to read it yourself it's under "Optimal use of the audio system" and it explains the Type A system (non-ML) has a setting for Position Select. The Type B system has surround on/off.

Actually...the type A has a physical button based on the picture... (P. Sel) which mine doesn't have. That alone proves there's two physically different CD units.

And sure, I'll let you know how it works out soon as I get a chance to pick up a 5.1 CD. It was never a hugely popular format (neither was DVD-A of course) but I still see some for sale online.

My system decodes DTS. My head unit plays CDs. My speakers support 5.1. Seems pretty likely to work.

Last edited by Kurtz; 01-07-09 at 05:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Have factory sound system, want to upgrade