IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Getting Very Upset!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-08, 11:30 AM
Harrisch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so far everyones response that i have read has been either, your car will get you girls...or stop whining like girl and enjoy your is250....

as a kid in a previously similar position to you, heres my take on everything...

in highschool, i had a scion tc, loved that car, it was a load of fun....and then during grad parties senior year i got in a little over my head and spun the car over a ditch....the car wasnt too damaged, we missed three trees...a couple break lines and stuff were cut underneath and a couple paint scratches but "no big deal", it could have easily been repaired......but my dad was so mad, and i was so traumatized i didnt want to drive....and we sold the car

i was going into my freshman year of college so i talked to my dad repeatedly saying that i didnt want a car, that i couldnt take it to school, etc, etc making my argument, but one day, the post is back in the archives somewhere, i came back home with a couple friends to find a brand new 6mt is250 sitting on my driveway with the big lexus bow on it....i was 18, awesome ****ing day....even though i didnt want to drive

now i agree the car isnt the fastest thing out there...but in my honest opinion, its the perfect step forward if you want to learn how to actually drive before you move onto something quicker.....its perfectly balanced, rear wheel drive, you can kick the rear end out and have a lot of fun with it....its plenty smooth, its definitely got passing power, and it looks sick....

at the end of the day, take your car through a twisty mountain road and drive it as if you dont know what 400hp is...and trust me youll appreciate it, im 19 and i do....

not to mention the fact that my best friend, with his intake and exhaust and bodykit and turbo and wheels and blah blah blah on his car, although faster than my car.....when we pull up to a party, or just in front of the library....i get the looks...and as much as he loves his car, he still begs to drive mine, it isnt as fast, but its perfectly balanced, and it gets attention....

furthermore, keep the is for a while and you can make into an awesome car for sure....maybe not a drag queen, but a great weekend warrior for the mountains and curvy roads....get some sticky rubber (highly recommend pilot sport ps2's), upsize the wheels a little, throw on some sway bars and coilovers, and even though you wont be able to take just anyone off a stop light...as soon as a turn comes and your exit speed is 20 mph higher, you wont care that they got the headstart....

tortoise and the hare situation i suppose....lighten up, look beyond the fact that people think the 250 is a slow worthless car....with a clutch pedal and rear wheel drive....i have as much fun with my IS as ive had in corvettes - sure it wont snap your neck, but it will ENGAGE you, and at the end of the day, thats what driving is about isnt it? that and getting the girl, which the IS is great at...
Old 12-31-08, 11:50 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Harrisch
....maybe not a drag queen
This was a great post! However, I don't think you meant to compare the IS to a drag queen.
Old 12-31-08, 12:06 PM
kjl2007
Pole Position

You know I didnt expect this thread to turn up into a big deal, Some of you claim I'm a spoiled kid, hell, yeah I am . But Im sure all as kids you always wanted more. I LOVE my car dont get me wrong, I just wish sometimes it had a little bit more power, just a little.
Old 12-31-08, 12:19 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Harrisch, well put
Old 12-31-08, 12:23 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kjl2007
You know I didnt expect this thread to turn up into a big deal, Some of you claim I'm a spoiled kid, hell, yeah I am . But Im sure all as kids you always wanted more. I LOVE my car dont get me wrong, I just wish sometimes it had a little bit more power, just a little.
If you want just a little more power, may I suggest, if money isn't an issue, F-Sport Intake or Joe Z Intake, JUN-TW Headers, Joe Z PTS True Dual Exhaust, Lighter wheels Forged, stickier tires Michelin PS2 or Nitto Invo IMO, Sways, Coilover setup. I think you'll notice a power and performance difference with that upgrade.
Old 12-31-08, 01:00 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The flaming is probably unfair, since no one on this board knows anything about you (except that your mom & dad are generous ). Hopefully you now have some ideas on where and how you can mod your 250.
Old 12-31-08, 01:19 PM
irfan
Rookie

just ask the girls what they think is better, the civics or the is250. sure you cant smoke a civic but who the hell REALLLLLY cares? no one. except the civic drivers (or the 92 mazda protege drivers), who wish they had a better car.

congrats to your parents for being successful enough in life to get you that car.
Old 12-31-08, 01:21 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

well, at least you're honest about being spoiled...

while there are plenty of ways to make more power, there just isn't much beyond what's offered on the market, and anything one-off (read: custom) will be expensive.

but since you're a self-proclaimed spoiled child, "expensive" shouldn't be in your vocabulary.
Old 12-31-08, 04:27 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

No offense but i HATE people who complain about the car they have when they didnt even buy it..

I had a 91 Corolla when i turned 17.. YEA I STARTED TO DRIVE WHEN I WAS 17!!.. of course i didnt like it but it got me from point A to B.. Put an intake on it n it made my drive more fun.

Moving foward.. Car was hit n totalled by some fat chick and now have a 92 Sc400 with some mods.. yup 1 year upgrade.. car has problems but i dont complain much since it still drives n i didnt pay for it.. but i did pay for the rims, kit, drop, tires n such.. im 19 now n I still drive a car that is ALMOST as old as me..

Be happy with what you have.. n not what u want to have...

As for going faster.. why go fast.. quit street racing.
Old 12-31-08, 05:54 PM
nwhuey
Rookie

get a job and pay for a new car i guess? im sure you can sell your is250 for a good chunk of change and go buy a civic which you an modify?

Btw i work for the PD in Pasadena, and I guarantee you that if you drove a civic which was heavily modified you will eventually get a ticket. You'll be fine with the is250, if you had bought it yourself you would appreciate it a lot more.

Last edited by nwhuey; 12-31-08 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-31-08, 06:57 PM
kjl2007
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nwhuey
get a job and pay for a new car i guess? im sure you can sell your is250 for a good chunk of change and go buy a civic which you an modify?

Btw i work for the PD in Pasadena, and I guarantee you that if you drove a civic which was heavily modified you will eventually get a ticket. You'll be fine with the is250, if you had bought it yourself you would appreciate it a lot more.

I have a job, and I do pay for all of my aftermarket parts. I just wish there was something out there that would give the 250 a nice amount of HP.
Old 12-31-08, 07:04 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

I have a job, and I do pay for all of my aftermarket parts. I just wish there was something out there that would give the 250 a nice amount of HP.
what do you consider "a nice amount"?

something(s) that'll get it to par w/, say, the is350?
Old 12-31-08, 07:08 PM
kjl2007
Pole Position

Originally Posted by projectdna
what do you consider "a nice amount"?

something(s) that'll get it to par w/, say, the is350?
ha, well if that was possible that be great. But not even that much is necessary...
Old 01-01-09, 02:43 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

ha, well if that was possible that be great. But not even that much is necessary...
intake and exhaust is about it for bolt-ons. headers, maybe, but it's not something most 2is owners have tried.

anything else beyond ^ will probably need a lot of money to make it work.

but instead of spending "a lot of money to make it work", might as well trade up to the is350...
Old 01-01-09, 05:54 AM
juicius
Driver School Candidate

If you're being smoked by a Civic, then you're obviously talking straight line. Generally, younger kids with little driving experience "test" their cars on straight line speed. Might as well, as something more twisty may get them killed. If you really must race, don't go straight line. Those other front drive cars have the advantage. But take something twisty, you can have them beat if you have some skill.

Besides, can they drift with their front drive buzzsaw? Go to a close mall parking lot or something, bring some orange cones, and impress the girls. Your parents will pay for new tires.

Or organize a road trip over some twisty mountain roads. Half way through, you can swap dates. See if they prefer sitting on the buzzing, bouncing crapcan of a Civic, or your refined and luxurious ride. Guess who they'll ask for another roadtrip the next weekend.

Straight line is overrated.

Quick Reply: Getting Very Upset!!!