VP Racing Fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-08, 06:25 AM
is350drive
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VP Racing Fuel?

Hey all.

For sometime now, i have been thinking of adding vp racing fuel to my is350. i was thinking of mixing normal gas and vp gas. I was thinking this beacuse here in Dominican Republic our highest octane gas has at tops 89 (thats how bad it is here. I was probably thinking about mixing half and half, this will bum me up to about, maybe not sure, 95-100 octanes?. Is this bad for the engine? has anyone done this? What is the highest octane gas you can put on a non-modified engine?

THanks
Old 12-19-08, 06:32 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you could put racing fuel in your car it can handle it...

http://www.ranney.com/mjr/fuel_blend.html

but if your mixing check out the racing fuel mixing calculator... if your doing half and half its going to cost you a bit more and it would only give you about 95 octane even... so that won't harm your car whatsoever but you have to be consistant with it... and to be honest the time and money invested might not even be worth the hassle
Old 12-19-08, 07:21 AM
is350drive
Lead Lap

what do you mean consistent? can't i just put racing fuel to try, or once i do it i have to keep doing it?
Old 12-19-08, 07:24 AM
BoOst3d
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

race fuel is usually leaded and lead messes up your cats and o2 sensors. also, if your car isnt tuned for higher octane than your car will rich leaner
Old 12-19-08, 07:30 AM
is350drive
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lam N 002
race fuel is usually leaded and lead messes up your cats and o2 sensors. also, if your car isnt tuned for higher octane than your car will rich leaner
VP has unleaded "racing" fuel. It just has higher octane. 109.
Old 12-19-08, 09:24 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by is350drive
what do you mean consistent? can't i just put racing fuel to try, or once i do it i have to keep doing it?
i'm sorry let me explain...

you can try it once and stop... it won't hurt your car at all... you can always go up without a problem... it's the opposite direction that im worried about..

i'm just saying you've been using like you said probably 89 octane for quite a while now... where as the recommended octane is "premium" which ranges from 91-93 usually 93 though...and keep in mind most gas stations use 10% ethanol now..... so that 89 octane your not even getting that....

so just to put things in perspective... a buddy of mine... had a lexus and during the gas inflations where gas prices rose to 4-5 dollars a gallon he was cheap and decided to put 87 in the car... well putting in 87 when it's recommended to have 93 caused some knocking in the car over time and even when he went back up to 93 it didn't help the situation... although his lexus was about 10 years old... technology may have changed when relating to your gas octane now but i doubt it changed that much...

so i'm just saying unless your consistent running out to grab race fuel and mixing it to get that higher octane... it won't really benefit much for your car... because next time you go and grab regular gas... all the quality that you threw into your gas tank gets shot back down to what you have now... you know?
Old 12-19-08, 09:34 AM
is350drive
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Batmobile
i'm sorry let me explain...

you can try it once and stop... it won't hurt your car at all... you can always go up without a problem... it's the opposite direction that im worried about..

i'm just saying you've been using like you said probably 89 octane for quite a while now... where as the recommended octane is "premium" which ranges from 91-93 usually 93 though...and keep in mind most gas stations use 10% ethanol now..... so that 89 octane your not even getting that....

so just to put things in perspective... a buddy of mine... had a lexus and during the gas inflations where gas prices rose to 4-5 dollars a gallon he was cheap and decided to put 87 in the car... well putting in 87 when it's recommended to have 93 caused some knocking in the car over time and even when he went back up to 93 it didn't help the situation... although his lexus was about 10 years old... technology may have changed when relating to your gas octane now but i doubt it changed that much...

so i'm just saying unless your consistent running out to grab race fuel and mixing it to get that higher octane... it won't really benefit much for your car... because next time you go and grab regular gas... all the quality that you threw into your gas tank gets shot back down to what you have now... you know?
yep, i get it! thanks a million for explaining. Id guess ill try it once to see if there is any difference. Thanks once again
Old 12-19-08, 08:13 PM
Low Life
Pole Position

Race fuel will do nothing but slow your car down, race gas burns slower than pump gas, the higher the octane the slower the burn, causing your car to run richer due to not combusting at the rate it should.
Old 02-27-09, 02:57 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you try it?
Old 02-27-09, 04:02 PM
ocbc
Rookie

First off, if the car is designed to run with a certain octane, running anything lower will effectively DAMAGE your engine. This is why, in the story above, the car no longer runs correct after running a lower octane.

One of the main reasons to run a higher octane is to prevent detonation, there are others, but that's the main idea here. What the OP is suggesting is that mixing race gas into the fuel to get the min. manufacturer's rating is 100% valid. There could be issues running 89 octane and not the 91-93. Now if he puts in race gas and it doesn't do anything or he runs race gas mixture for awhile and wants to go back, nothing will be hurt. Will running 100 octane do anything for your car, NO, but it will not HURT it either. You should mix to get the 91-93 octane rating, anything above that is a waste of money.

Do you need race gas? This is the first thing you should be asking yourself. Is your car detonating? are you getting bad millage? if the answer to those questions is no, then your probably fine on 89 octane.
Old 02-27-09, 05:12 PM
09 LEX 250
Driver

Originally Posted by is350drive
Hey all.

For sometime now, i have been thinking of adding vp racing fuel to my is350. i was thinking of mixing normal gas and vp gas. I was thinking this beacuse here in Dominican Republic our highest octane gas has at tops 89 (thats how bad it is here. I was probably thinking about mixing half and half, this will bum me up to about, maybe not sure, 95-100 octanes?. Is this bad for the engine? has anyone done this? What is the highest octane gas you can put on a non-modified engine?

THanks
USLESS uless your boosted or sc!! waste of time and money for a n/a car
only what the factory calls for in your manual is what u should use