IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Keeping the IS350...now what mods to do??????

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-08, 09:37 PM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Keeping the IS350...now what mods to do??????

I have done my driving of all the models that I was looking at...IS-F, nice, but from the inside its the same car, and really nbot that much faster than the 350...so why pay an extra 20k? Audi S5/A5....Very nice cars....S5 at 60+, no thanks...A5 at 50k, nice but underpowered....997 Carrera...Porsche still hasnt fixed the sudden engine failure issues with the M96 engine so no new Carrera for me and the TT/GT2/GT3 are out of my price range. So its time to mod the IS350. I want better handling but still retain a good ride so 19's, wider rubber and coilovers (Megan LP or Tein CS I think). Then exhaust, and then body kit. I think I found a GFX kit in Back Onyx, so it'll just be the GFX kit I think. Rims....hmmm...debating that one....I like Volk, Enkei, AME....and maybe even BBS but they will be black. Exhaust options? Anyone see any flaws in my plan? Ideas? Oh I do LOVE the IS-F seats....anyway to get those bad boys in my IS350?
Old 12-10-08, 09:40 PM
aznboi27
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck. LOL.. and have fun!
Old 12-10-08, 11:02 PM
blake0387
Driver

Nothing wrong with that at all. I may seem a bit biased but I would definitely reccommend the Megan Racing catback exhaust. The sound is amazing and it has zero highway drone.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the wheels. Do you want to get something lighter than stock or does that not really matter to you? Answering that question will go a long way in narrowing down your choices.
Old 12-10-08, 11:17 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Congrats on staying with the IS. Don't really see any flaws in your plans. Just do what you like. I'm sure it will come out great.

I've seen IS-F seats in ISx50 and they look great. But this mod is a bit on the expensive side unless you're able to get a deal of some kind.

I would personally go with the TEIN CS and if you're looking for a simple kit, you can't go wrong with the GFX kit. Maybe HKS for exhaust? Good luck with the mods!
Old 12-10-08, 11:58 PM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Thx so far! On the wheels side....I am really leaning towards black AME Tracer FS01's....Or Custom painted (black) Enkei GTC01, or Volk Progressiv ME's....

OH and I forgot to add...Big Brake Kit!!!!!!!

Strictly for looks! lol.....

Last edited by DaWhole9; 12-11-08 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-11-08, 06:32 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Dawhole,

IMO F-sport sways will really help you in the handling dept.

I drove/flogged the IS-F at the Lexus driving academy, and immediately bought the upgraded sways afterward in hopes that it would help handle more like the F did (specifically, the more direct steering that it had). It did just that, and made a huge difference
Old 12-11-08, 06:49 AM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

for the sporty look... the GFX is not too bad..... or u can get WALD.. for exhaust... i'll go with Greddy... or Tanabe.... as for coils... CS is fine ;D
Old 12-11-08, 06:57 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me know if you find out a way to get "F-Sport" (i.e. ISF) seats into your IS. I like 'em so much better than OEM!
Old 12-11-08, 01:47 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would get the Tein suspension for comfort... megan suspension for the most drop...

i would also get sway bars on both front and rear

and ...... my rims? in the classifieds now!
Old 12-11-08, 02:22 PM
jns350
Lexus Champion

"F-sport sways" FTW should make that suspension hang sweet during cornering.....it's on my wish list
Old 12-11-08, 02:29 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jns350
"F-sport sways" FTW should make that suspension hang sweet during cornering.....it's on my wish list
dude you are going like crazy! I need to see some pics of your car

OP: Springs and some nice 19" rims/tires (PS2) will make the car handle much better IMO. Cosmetics I would do the Side Mirror as it looks so HOT on the dark color cars! Really the other suspension mods and F sport stuff you really wont benefit from with a DD that you dont track IMO. My IS was planted with the drop and tires and handled much better. The GS feels the same way just from lowering it but I did drop this more then the IS.
Old 12-11-08, 04:52 PM
nick01
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaWhole9
Thx so far! On the wheels side....I am really leaning towards black AME Tracer FS01's....Or Custom painted (black) Enkei GTC01, or Volk Progressiv ME's....

OH and I forgot to add...Big Brake Kit!!!!!!!

Strictly for looks! lol.....
I have the enkei rims and thats what im going to eventually do
Old 12-12-08, 01:07 PM
Joshg120
Driver School Candidate

i suggest the volk sf winning in black 19" my friend has them and there an awesome wheel would look great on ur black is
Old 12-12-08, 05:39 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaWhole9
997 Carrera...Porsche still hasnt fixed the sudden engine failure issues with the M96 engine so no new Carrera for me...
Never heard of it until now, so some quick research and...
According to POA there is no problem and there have been only a few isolated incidents with M96/97 engines, due to crank shaft vibration.
Seems to be one of those internet facts like springs that settle.
But now it will be in the back of my head everytime I drive the 997, thanks pal!
Megan for sure if you do coliovers (love them) no point in throwing away money so you can have a "JDM" brand, Do at least a rear swaybar, no need to waste money on exhaust it does nothing, unless you want it louder. Can't go wrong with some good rubber- everything else depends on your own taste.
Old 12-12-08, 07:09 PM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Giggity
Never heard of it until now, so some quick research and...
According to POA there is no problem and there have been only a few isolated incidents with M96/97 engines, due to crank shaft vibration.
Seems to be one of those internet facts like springs that settle.
But now it will be in the back of my head everytime I drive the 997, thanks pal!
Megan for sure if you do coliovers (love them) no point in throwing away money so you can have a "JDM" brand, Do at least a rear swaybar, no need to waste money on exhaust it does nothing, unless you want it louder. Can't go wrong with some good rubber- everything else depends on your own taste.
Well I EXPERIENCED the failure, and its still happening...search IMS failures, then intermix, both happen regularly....its a problem usually about 75k miles...so t takes a Porsche longer to get there because they are "usually" driven less....I sold mine before the 2nd engine hit 75k as it was out of warranty then and I didnt want a 15k repair bill....in fact its such a problem read the current issue of Excellence...plenty of info on it there....so much that 3rd party engine rebuilders are popping up as an alternative.,,,Thanks for the info on the Lex!

Quick Reply: Keeping the IS350...now what mods to do??????