Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY JDM LED Side Signal Mirror Covers *56K Warning*

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-08, 01:07 PM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job but way too much work for my lazy a$$.
Old 12-11-08, 01:24 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. IS350
What exactly do you mean by "don't use the (-) wire for the turn signal as is too week"?
you will have two leads for the OEM turn signal. 1 (+) and 1 (-)....the (-) aka Negative wire to the turn signal wont work. You have to ground them to the car and a good ground point. I did this a long time ago and found the wire under the hood. When the Tech and I first tried them we tapped into both wires. Only 2 leds worked. Bottom line is these need a good ground source. I only know where the ground is under the hood that we found to work. Just make sure you get good contact
Old 12-11-08, 01:31 PM
Mr. IS350
Driver

Originally Posted by passnu2
you will have two leads for the OEM turn signal. 1 (+) and 1 (-)....the (-) aka Negative wire to the turn signal wont work. You have to ground them to the car and a good ground point. I did this a long time ago and found the wire under the hood. When the Tech and I first tried them we tapped into both wires. Only 2 leds worked. Bottom line is these need a good ground source. I only know where the ground is under the hood that we found to work. Just make sure you get good contact
Great! Thanks you for that info! My covers from Nigel get here tomorrow and will be doing this on sat morning. I'm somewhat nervous about the wiring but I'm def. feel more comfortable now if doing it. Thanks!
Old 12-11-08, 02:15 PM
jayz250
Rookie

I'm scurred, got mine yesterday (thanks Nigel btw). Thanks Mister T for the DIY....but I'm still scurred lol.
Old 12-11-08, 02:20 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

trust me this is very easy. im working on getting them for the GS and doing this all over again. funny how something so simple makes the car look so much better. I have to hunt and find the wires like I did when I fist did the IS. That was the hardest part I think but we tapped the correct wire on both sides the first time so that helped out. I am also glad I had the tech to help as I would have seen only a few LEDS working I would have returned them for no reason to only have it happen again lol I would have gone crazy figuring this out. I am glad to see that a few people found the wires inside the car to tap. If you dig up my old thread I think I attached a PDF for the wire colors and they are the same inside the car as under the hood. You can also run them under the hood if you feel more confident as its less wires bundled together and You couldnt see the wire at all from running them that way. I think I will do the same on the GS.
Old 12-11-08, 02:32 PM
jns350
Lexus Champion

^^^ sup Mike^^^ finally got this mod done...its been what?!?! 5-6 months when I first asked you about this...it seems that the CF overlay and the led cover combo works..haha...cant wait to see your GS with the covers also...BTW..I used the left front seat bolt to ground my wires with a terminal eye connector...works good..and I found the red and the green + wires almost side by side together....wish I did this sooner before the 09's came out with stock ones...makes the car look better..and now I found myself being a more considerate and carfull driver...now that I like to use my turn signals more often
BTW:: again, thanks Thien for the DIY..cut my time in half I believe
Old 12-11-08, 03:06 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ Lol...Yea I recall all the PM's I told you it wasnt so bad! I cant wait to do this on the GS. I sent the guy I got the 1st set from for some prices for me. Problem is it will take a few months to get through customs and have them paint but I cant beat their price. GS is finally starting to come together. Just need some rims and cant decide on what to get! Too many nice rims to choose from by the time I get this done I will be looking for another car lol...
Old 12-11-08, 03:52 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jns350
and now I found myself being a more considerate and careful driver...now that I like to use my turn signals more often
Justin, this was also my reaction when it was done.
Old 12-11-08, 10:36 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another question. You know those 3 nuts you need to take off to remove the mirror. It was easy to remove the 3 nuts but putting one of them back on was PITA! The glass window was in the way and i haven't figured a way to put it in.
Old 12-11-08, 10:39 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow
Another question. You know those 3 nuts you need to take off to remove the mirror. It was easy to remove the 3 nuts but putting one of them back on was PITA! The glass window was in the way and i haven't figured a way to put it in.
hrmmm i just used a socket extension and got it in pretty easily...
Old 12-11-08, 10:50 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

me too but it wouldn't go in.
Old 12-12-08, 12:57 AM
Mister T
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by A/C
I've just had these LED mirrors installed by workshop guys.
One important notice for you all to consider. You actually don't have to connect the passenger side mirror to drivers side wiring )) There is some wiring for the passenger side turn signal, its located somewhere under the glove box. In order to get to it you'll have to disassemble the whole glove box and panels under it. Both ways are of about equal time consuption, but "the glove box way" is much cleaner.

You'll have to look at the electrics scheme in order to locate the proper place to connect the wirse, from what I saw the interactive scheme was located on Toyota web site somewhere and proper workshops (not only stealers) have access to it.

In my case two guys did it in about 2 hours, but they did the wiring very very clean. Total price was 100$ for mirror installation and 100$ for painting.
Thank you for your insight on the "glove box way" of wiring the passenger side. Routing it to the driver side is just one successful way of doing it, but if someone is willing to try going thru the glove box, please provide you input with details and we can update this DIY so others can consider it.

Originally Posted by jns350
thanks Thien for the DIY..cut my time in half I believe
Job well done Justin. You're the first success story to surface from this DIY and that should be encouraging news to other who have concerns.

I had the window rolled all the way down and threaded each nut on first with my fingers and then tightened with the socket wrench.
Old 12-12-08, 01:27 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

I'm going to try to check my wires tomorrow. I'm too tired to go f*** with it now.
Old 12-12-08, 06:17 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

you must not be doing something right with an extension on the socket is very easy to get to. just take your time. only thing i hated was that blk adhesive that was right there! lol...I kept getting my hand on it
Old 12-12-08, 12:23 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
you must not be doing something right with an extension on the socket is very easy to get to. just take your time. only thing i hated was that blk adhesive that was right there! lol...I kept getting my hand on it
Maybe my extension was too big? I don't know but i'll figure it out tonight.

The black stuff is crazy! I got it wrapped around my socket wrench when i wasn't paying attention..lol

Quick Reply: DIY JDM LED Side Signal Mirror Covers *56K Warning*