IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hid drl

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-08, 05:33 PM
sykocus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hid drl

I just noticed that the plug-in module people are using from vleds to get red of the flicker with led drl's is designed to be used for HID kits as well. A HID kit would cost about $100 more then LED DRL, but it would be the ultimate in getting rid of the dirty white DRL's. Plus it would really light up the road when you're out in the country
Old 11-23-08, 07:08 PM
papaalex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has any member already did HID in the highbeams/DRL?
Old 11-23-08, 08:13 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the hibeam housing isnt designed to run a hid bulb, putting in a hid bulb would be pretty irresponsible endangering the oncoming traffic.
Old 11-23-08, 09:01 PM
sykocus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
the hibeam housing isnt designed to run a hid bulb, putting in a hid bulb would be pretty irresponsible endangering the oncoming traffic.
using your highbeams at night with oncoming traffic is irresponsible regardless if it HID or incandescent.
Old 11-23-08, 09:20 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

Originally Posted by papaalex
has any member already did HID in the highbeams/DRL?
im wondering the same....
Old 11-23-08, 09:32 PM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe that you can't run HIDs as drl, because your drl is running at low power and won't be able to run the ballast to keep the bulbs running. Plus, the ballast requires more power to start up than for a regular halogen bulb.
Old 11-23-08, 09:56 PM
Shank2117
Pole Position

actually a memeber here did use HIDs as his DRL and worked perfect. it looks like an led from far.
Old 11-23-08, 10:10 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ i would like to know who did it.

I tried it once and didn't succeed. It ran great as a high beam, but HIDs do take a while to start up and like they said above, it's irresponsible to use your high beam for a long time. As a DRL, the HID would flicker after awhile. Mine didn't flicker until 2 week in.
Old 11-23-08, 10:21 PM
sykocus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tchan1
I believe that you can't run HIDs as drl, because your drl is running at low power and won't be able to run the ballast to keep the bulbs running. Plus, the ballast requires more power to start up than for a regular halogen bulb.
That's where the vleds thing comes in. I meant to post a link, but guess i forgot.

http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/P...id/0/SFV/32481
Old 11-24-08, 10:22 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

talk to passnu2 i believe he put it on his car before he traded it in. Let me clarify, he put HIDS in the high beams not sure if he had DRL functioning or not.
Old 11-24-08, 01:50 PM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You can run the HIDs in the DRLs - as its what I anticipate doing after the new year. You have to run a relay to turn them on as the DRL is 50% voltage at the bulb. A special relay will switch a solid power lead from the battery to provide appropriate power. DRL mode should stay on, so the HIDS fire during the day and shut off at night - hence the term "daytime running lights". Night driving wil not affect other drivers w/ the lowbeams on.

I did this with my old SC400. Worked nice.
Old 11-24-08, 02:14 PM
A/C
Driver

I am yet to see a successful example of HID DRL. There's no problem in installing aftermarket HID highbeam, but as it was mentioned correctly, DRL runs in low power mode and the HID ballast won't run. Many people here tried it and failed. And if it SOMEHOW actually runs (I seriously doubt though), its gonna be a true highbeam blinding everyone in sight.
Old 11-24-08, 07:57 PM
sykocus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by A/C
I am yet to see a successful example of HID DRL. There's no problem in installing aftermarket HID highbeam, but as it was mentioned correctly, DRL runs in low power mode and the HID ballast won't run. Many people here tried it and failed.
That problem would be addressed by the the plugin module from vleds which I mentioned.

Originally Posted by A/C
And if it SOMEHOW actually runs (I seriously doubt though), its gonna be a true highbeam blinding everyone in sight.
I don't think it would be bright enough to be dangerous during the day, and if you are in the habit running your highbeams at night without regard to other people on the road then you creating a hazard to other drivers whether your highbeams are HIDs or not.
Old 11-24-08, 08:17 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by slee18
talk to passnu2 i believe he put it on his car before he traded it in. Let me clarify, he put HIDS in the high beams not sure if he had DRL functioning or not.
Not me I only put the HID's in the Fogs. I never messed with the DRL. I change the City lights to a blue wedge. I would also like to see this done I am sure you can just run off the wires from the OEM Lights and not have high beams if you wanted. 3 sets of HID lights in the Lexus would light up the road and you would not need high's IMO. So who is up for the challenge
Old 11-24-08, 08:30 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think i'll give it a try again with the harness the vLEDS have.

Quick Reply: Hid drl