IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Quick transmission fluid question..

Old 11-03-08, 01:03 AM
BlitzSix
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick transmission fluid question..

I just read this thread, but didn't want to bump it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=236728

Now am I missing something? Why is everyone chanting that the tranny is sealed and there is no way / no need to change the fluid? I'm looking at my maintenance schedule right now and it says to replace automatic transmission fluid every 72 months / 96000 km and to replace manual transmission fluid every 48 months / 64000km.

06 IS250 here.
Old 11-03-08, 06:37 AM
Jefe's IS
Pole Position

In theory it's sealed so contanaments will not get in. Unless you overheat the fluid and there are no contanaments there should be no reason to change the fluid. Most modern auto trannys are this way. The exception is for those vehicles seeing a lot of towing or plowing. Specifically plowing. Very hard on auto trannys.
Old 11-03-08, 07:35 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BlitzSix
I just read this thread, but didn't want to bump it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=236728

Now am I missing something? Why is everyone chanting that the tranny is sealed and there is no way / no need to change the fluid? I'm looking at my maintenance schedule right now and it says to replace automatic transmission fluid every 72 months / 96000 km and to replace manual transmission fluid every 48 months / 64000km.

06 IS250 here.
It's physically impossible to change all the fluid in the auto transmission on the 2IS.

You sure you're reading your manual right?

Here's the service schedule direct from lexus-

http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/Sedans.pdf

72 months says driving while towing-replace transmission fluid (ES only)

You have an IS, not an ES.
Old 11-03-08, 07:46 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes,

The 2gen is a sealed unit and does not require the T-IV fluid to be changed. Remember, you should never tow anything with the "IS" anyway. This car is not designed for towing.
Old 11-03-08, 07:56 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to thread jack but can't you change the trans fluid for the IS350? I was even told by a Lexus tech that there's just a fill and drain plug. I'm doing my research before I proceed but I have gone out and bought OEM fluid already. I'm just looking for a simple drain & fill.
Old 11-03-08, 08:59 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Not to thread jack but can't you change the trans fluid for the IS350? I was even told by a Lexus tech that there's just a fill and drain plug. I'm doing my research before I proceed but I have gone out and bought OEM fluid already. I'm just looking for a simple drain & fill.
There is a fill and drain plug.

Through which you can drain about 15-20% of the total fluid in the system.

Not exactly useful for changing your fluid.

Useful for topping it off if you just fixed a leak, or draining a bit out if you overfill it.
Old 11-03-08, 09:02 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

i wonder how much it would cost to sit there and tell them to do a complete flush with a barrel of tranny fluid lol

in all seriousness, it sucks not being able to completely replace the fluid easily. (you know, for people who keep their cars for 100k+ miles who want to replace the fluid once in a while)
Old 11-03-08, 09:17 AM
felixcat
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

If you look at the service manual you will see, even for adding trans fluid, the procedure is not easy and strait forward (you also need to monitor the temp if I remember correctly).

So I won't go to the dealership and let them touch the transmission unless there is something wrong in it. Sometimes they just do more damage than repair.
Old 11-03-08, 09:34 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz
There is a fill and drain plug.

Through which you can drain about 15-20% of the total fluid in the system.

Not exactly useful for changing your fluid.

Useful for topping it off if you just fixed a leak, or draining a bit out if you overfill it.
Well i already bought some fluid so I might as well drain what I can I guess. Thanks Kurtz
Old 11-03-08, 10:26 AM
BlitzSix
Driver School Candidate

Well here are the pics, I don't really know what to say heh in response to everyone saying it's sealed. Why would they say to replace the fluid then? Maybe it's because I'm in Canada but I don't see why they would make this different than in the US..

Old 11-03-08, 11:22 AM
felixcat
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I see what the Canada version is right now.

On the contrary, if you look at the US version, it clearly states that the unit is sealed and no need to change the trans fluid, except for the ES. I don't have the manual in hand right now but I read that words letter by letter.

Originally Posted by BlitzSix
Well here are the pics, I don't really know what to say heh in response to everyone saying it's sealed. Why would they say to replace the fluid then? Maybe it's because I'm in Canada but I don't see why they would make this different than in the US..

Old 11-03-08, 11:58 AM
BlitzSix
Driver School Candidate

So you're saying the whole transmission is differently designed in Canada vs the states?

That doesn't really make sense.. US and Canadian cars usually only differ in terms of VERY minor things such as some options or misc interior compotents, etc..

I've never heard of cars having a whole different transmission... why would they do this? I don't understand the logic.
Old 11-03-08, 12:07 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

I'd say it's an error in the Canadian manual.

For one, folks posted in the other thread actual diagrams from TIS of the transmission being a sealed unit, showing the physical impossibility of changing fluid, and there was even a chart showing you could just about disassemble the drivetrain and still not get half the fluid out.

For another, 96,000 km is only ~60,000 miles and the WS fluid used in the 2IS is sure as heck good way longer than that.

Maybe somehow verbage from either the 1IS or the ES ended up in that manual.

I wonder if newer 2IS manuals in canada say that?

Hrm....no, the canada website still says it-

http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/experience...nance_oms.jsp#

Even the 09 IS350 lists the same verbage about changing it.

So either canada magically has a different transmission or something weird is up

Last edited by Kurtz; 11-03-08 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-03-08, 12:15 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

where does it saythat the transmission is completely sealed, all transmissions are technically sealed, but you can still get into them. my 06 is 350 has a drain plug, and i'm pretty sure it has a pan that you can pull off, if u really wanted to get all that transmission fluid out of there and replace it, it is possible, but is pretty pointless to drain ALL of it and put in ALL new fluid. anyway most of the fluid is in the torque converter which should also have it's own seperate drain plug, and is in all the valves and clutch plates and steel in the trans.

anyway saying that these transmissions are completely sealed and you cannot get into them to change fluid is nonsense. the one thing that all new cars manufacter's are doing is removing the dip sticks and filler tubes so it makes it hard to change fluid or do a service by yourself, its really hard without a lift and you'll most likely get a atf bath. you have to fill the vehicle up thru the drain plug while its running to get it to suck up the fluid.

Edit* just read all the service requirements every 12k miles for 06-09 IS's notice is says "inspect transmission fluid levels". case and point.

Last edited by xuningshen; 11-03-08 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-03-08, 01:20 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xuningshen
where does it saythat the transmission is completely sealed, all transmissions are technically sealed, but you can still get into them. my 06 is 350 has a drain plug, and i'm pretty sure it has a pan that you can pull off, if u really wanted to get all that transmission fluid out of there and replace it, it is possible

No, it's really not.

Go look at the original thread.

Removing the pan entirely gets about 20% of the fluid out of the system. Hardly a fluid change.

Seriously, check the first post in this thread, which links to that one, which is like 8 pages of discussion, including service charts and diagrams, showing it's not possible to change the fluid.

You can add some, though it's a mild pain, if fixed a leak.

You can drain some if you overfilled.

You can't change it though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quick transmission fluid question..