IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car almost got broken into! Alarm drained my battery!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-08, 04:59 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Car almost got broken into! Alarm drained my battery!

I was at a shopping mall eating with my friends. Made sure I locked my door. Friend parked right next to me. Was in the mall for 1-2 hours. When I came back out, I heard a soft alarm going **BEEP BEEP BEEP** very quiet. So I went to the front of my car and listened and I heard it was coming out of my car. I soon went to make sure everything is intact. (made sure if anything on my car got stolen) Thank god nothing was stolen. But went inside my car to start my car. It wouldn't turn on. I knew it was battery problem and called Lexus road side assistance. They jumpstart it. My dash shows VSC icon, CHECK icon with the engine. So I brought it to Lexus. Explained to them what happened. They told me that someone tried to break into my car. The Lexus alarm doesn't turn off until you come back. (which I thought that's really dumb) Luckily nothing was lost. Didn't break my window. Would of lost at least $1,000 of stuff. Nothing was visible but my EDFC in my ash tray was visible. And my radar was in my trunk.

What's funny is I was looking at 2 way alarm last night also. Right now I feel paranoid. Might planning on getting Viper 2 way alarm with proximity. Anyone have any experience with a 2 way alarm on the IS?
Old 10-29-08, 05:28 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

what.. to turn the alarm off you have to bring it back to lexus?
Old 10-29-08, 05:37 PM
toomurf
Pole Position

@ least your car had no damaged
Old 10-29-08, 05:51 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

i think he means the alarm keeps going untill u deactivate it with your fob, which i don't htink is stupid at all, cuz if ur no where near ur car and the alarm turns off after 5 minutes the theif can go and try again. i think its a good safety precaution, so the alarm was going off for who knows how long, and it killed ur battery so when u tried to crank it over it wouldn't start.

u got lucky haha
Old 10-29-08, 06:06 PM
SGMIS3
Pole Position

How did they break into your car without breaking the window? I was under the impression its very difficult to jimmy a lexus.
Old 10-29-08, 06:09 PM
Gus738
Driver

i agree alarm is great if it does NOT go off until you are there. IF the battery goes off car wont start unless you have your key coded keys with you right? (for the average thieves of course)

Originally Posted by xuningshen
i think he means the alarm keeps going untill u deactivate it with your fob, which i don't htink is stupid at all, cuz if ur no where near ur car and the alarm turns off after 5 minutes the theif can go and try again. i think its a good safety precaution, so the alarm was going off for who knows how long, and it killed ur battery so when u tried to crank it over it wouldn't start.

u got lucky haha
Old 10-29-08, 06:16 PM
2k2 R1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS350ty
How did they break into your car without breaking the window? I was under the impression its very difficult to jimmy a lexus.
if I'm not mistaken factory alarm doesn't have shock sensor...so breaking the glass wont set off the alarm.
Old 10-29-08, 07:32 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

I have about 2 cars. This is the only car that actually goes off until I come back and deactivate it. Which I think its strange. Why would you need the alarm to go off for hours? Luckily no one called the cops or I could of gotten a ticket.

What I was told by my SA is someone either tried to break into my car. With something, anything. Or someone hit my car. But I didn't notice any marks or anything. So that isn't a possibility.
Old 10-29-08, 07:32 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Yup. Alarm will sound only if they try opening the door from the inside. I don't know how the alarm went off if the door is still closed and no windows broken.
Old 10-29-08, 07:46 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Off topic, but has anyone noticed that when your alarm goes off, the headlights or HID's (whichever you have) flash on and off one at a time alternating between passenger headlight and driver's side for the duration the alarm is on. That's going to take a big toll on HID's wouldn't it?
Old 10-29-08, 07:59 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

I'm glad to hear your car is okay! Bummer about the drain on your battery.
Old 10-29-08, 08:04 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

wow, glad nothing was lost, yet you still have your car. Ya thats awkward, I was under the same impression, alarm will go off if locked and opened from the inside.

What mall were u at? Stonestown, Serremonte?
Old 10-29-08, 08:06 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Check with the mall security... Maybe they got something on camera.
Old 10-29-08, 08:16 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Thanks.. I was at Serramonte. No camera at serramonte. Its a land parking lot. Not like inside a parking garage. Maybe the thieve tried to steal my EDFC on my ashtray. And then the alarm went off and ran.

I was thinking there might be a problem with my alarm? Maybe a defect? This can be a possibility too.
Old 10-29-08, 08:17 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS350ty
Our alarms are jokes. You might as well leave the doors unlocked so you don't have to pay for a new window. There is no shock sensors or internal motion sensors. Never leave anything visible that is valuable. Although, that won't stop a thief from breaking your window and looking around (since the alarm won't go off).

Quick Reply: Car almost got broken into! Alarm drained my battery!