IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Interior DR door panel cracked - dealer says not covered under 4yr/50mi

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-08, 06:35 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the dealer is having the same thought that I'm having. How the hell do you crack a door panel by resting your elbow there? Show them your elbow...if there is unreasonable bonyness there, you're out of luck.

Old 10-21-08, 11:41 PM
IS250_6Spd
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not a "defective" door panel. You rest your elbow there and that will happen sooner or later.
Old 10-22-08, 12:00 AM
IS350JDM
Lead Lap

Enough talk, let's see some pics first.

How heavy are you bro? I'm 150lbs medium build and I swear my elbow cannot put enough stress to break the door panel.
Old 10-22-08, 06:40 AM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by IS250_6Spd
It's not a "defective" door panel. You rest your elbow there and that will happen sooner or later.

I can understand 10 years down the road, but 2 years? There are no rubbing wear signs in that spot.

Last edited by WhatYaGot; 10-25-08 at 05:52 AM.
Old 10-22-08, 06:42 AM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Originally Posted by IS350JDM
Enough talk, let's see some pics first.

How heavy are you bro? I'm 150lbs medium build and I swear my elbow cannot put enough stress to break the door panel.
5'10 / 140 lbs. - Pics will be put up later today.
Old 10-22-08, 06:44 AM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Originally Posted by 15951
I think the dealer is having the same thought that I'm having. How the hell do you crack a door panel by resting your elbow there? Show them your elbow...if there is unreasonable bonyness there, you're out of luck.

I am having the same thought. How does the panel get a crack from exactly where my elbow sits? This is why I am making a claim.
Old 10-22-08, 07:19 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ the panel should have been MFG to with hold an arm resting on it. I have never had a car where its cracked, but yes most of the cars did leave a little dimple mark from where I put my elbow. I already have a slight mark on the GS from the whole month I have had it. I call this BS that you cant rest your arm on the door panel with out it cracking???

FIGHT THIS!
Old 10-22-08, 02:24 PM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Pics posted
Old 10-24-08, 04:19 PM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Waiting for the rep to call me back......
Old 10-24-08, 06:58 PM
IS250_6Spd
Lead Lap

ahh after looking at the pic it seems to be a defect. I thought you were talking about the lower portion. hope you get that fixed
Old 10-25-08, 09:14 AM
Giggity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 15951

]
C'mon people, surely you're not all that naive...
I did the same thing on a different car, and I know how i did it, I'm sure the OP knows exactly when it happened, this crack didn't just magically appear from "resting" the eldow there. It's BS to try and get the dealership to replace a part by crying defect. I would jump on the dealerships offer to pay 30%.
IF the OP can get the dealership to replace it, good for him/her, but the fact that it was posted here and a bunch of people jumped on the "defect" wagon just feeds into lack of ownership to what really happened.
Old 10-25-08, 10:05 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Giggity
] I did the same thing on a different car, and I know how i did it
How did you do it?
Old 10-25-08, 10:23 AM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Originally Posted by Giggity
]
C'mon people, surely you're not all that naive...
I did the same thing on a different car, and I know how i did it, I'm sure the OP knows exactly when it happened, this crack didn't just magically appear from "resting" the eldow there. It's BS to try and get the dealership to replace a part by crying defect. I would jump on the dealerships offer to pay 30%.
IF the OP can get the dealership to replace it, good for him/her, but the fact that it was posted here and a bunch of people jumped on the "defect" wagon just feeds into lack of ownership to what really happened.
I don't appreciate you insinuating that I am lying. You don't know me or my moral values!
Old 10-25-08, 10:46 AM
Giggity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by montgb
How did you do it?
I was "resting" my elbow on the door panel....

I was trying to get my wallet out of my back pocket and using the elbow on the door panel as leverage. Replacement door panel from a salvage yard cost me $50.
Old 10-25-08, 11:01 AM
Giggity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by WhatYaGot
I don't appreciate you insinuating that I am lying. You don't know me or my moral values!
You're right pal, I have no idea who you are or what you're about, but seriously are you trying to pass this off like you just all of a sudden noticed there was a crack in the door card and have no idea how it got there, but it just happens to be where you rest your elbow?
The upper part of the door card is made of ABS plastic that is roughly an 1/8 of an inch thick; with thousands of IS's running around the globe subjected to a wide range of weather conditions with the exact same door card, made of the exact same material, your's is the only car that has experienced this "defect".
You've been around CL long enough to know that people here complain about EVERY LITTLE PROBLEM, if it were truly a defect, don't you think it would have surfaced HERE of all places a long time ago?!?!?

GOOD LUCK getting it fixed, I really mean that. IT sucks when a car that is supposed to be iconic in the luxury car circles has issues like these, but I am very skeptical that this crack just appeared as a result of "resting" your elbow on the panel.

Quick Reply: Interior DR door panel cracked - dealer says not covered under 4yr/50mi