IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

TPMS and new tires question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-08, 09:32 AM
njmurvin
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default TPMS and new tires question

I have never had TPMS before. I did a search and found a lot about TPMS. But, I didn't see anything dealing with just new tires and TPMS.

I plan to get new tires put on my stock rims. Is there anything needed for the TPMS sensors for just swapping tires? I am thinking about getting the tires shipped from Tirerack and having one of their local referred installers do the installation. They have a note on their website about TPMS and it's very vague about the costs associated with it.

Also, is $17.50/wheel fair for mount/balance of these tires?
Old 09-25-08, 10:00 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TPMS is a pre-assembled sensor module. It is not a standard of tires so no worry of where you are about to get tires from. Unless the TPMS module is damage or low battery, the system should work all the time and there are instructions of system reset inside owner's manual.

Just make sure to have your tires mounted in a reputable shop so tire guys won't damage the tpms modules.

-Joseph
Old 09-25-08, 01:03 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Yea, basically when just changing tires, you dont have to worry about TPMS at all. The shop just has to be careful when changing the tires on your rim to not damage the sensor.
Old 09-25-08, 02:35 PM
njmurvin
Driver

Thanks, guys. That's what I was hoping to hear.
Old 09-25-08, 04:08 PM
kqt2ktval
Driver

Yeah, bring it to a reputable installer and you should be fine. I just had my tires installed at a local Honda dealership and everything went smoothly. Since it was a Lexus they mad me wait longer before I can get my car. They insisted a more train tech needs to do the tire swap. Must be because of the TPMS. All in all, I'm pretty have with the result. I also got my tires from tirerack. Dont' forget there is another hidden charge of 7 dollars for state recycling fee that's not mention at tireracks. My total is 92 dollars.. 18 for mount and balacing and 1.25 for disposal. I got the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport as soon as it was available at tirerack.
Old 09-25-08, 05:11 PM
njmurvin
Driver

Originally Posted by kqt2ktval
Yeah, bring it to a reputable installer and you should be fine. I just had my tires installed at a local Honda dealership and everything went smoothly. Since it was a Lexus they mad me wait longer before I can get my car. They insisted a more train tech needs to do the tire swap. Must be because of the TPMS. All in all, I'm pretty have with the result. I also got my tires from tirerack. Dont' forget there is another hidden charge of 7 dollars for state recycling fee that's not mention at tireracks. My total is 92 dollars.. 18 for mount and balacing and 1.25 for disposal. I got the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport as soon as it was available at tirerack.
Interesting. That's the tire I'm leaning towards. So, was the Honda dealer a referral from Tirerack or did you choose them for some other reason? What was your total out-the-door cost for the set?
Old 09-25-08, 08:34 PM
kqt2ktval
Driver

Originally Posted by njmurvin
Interesting. That's the tire I'm leaning towards. So, was the Honda dealer a referral from Tirerack or did you choose them for some other reason? What was your total out-the-door cost for the set?
I forgot to mention I purchased a set of 4 tires on Monday and it came in on Tuesday from tirerack. I had the tires install today 9/25/08 My total cost is $92 and some change. I picked Honda dealership because it's close by and because they are pledge installer, so I know what price to expect. Most other places said there are extra charges for alloy rims. I figure since it's a dealership.. if something goes wrong, it would be easier to argue with them especially if there is something wrong with the tpms.

The free coffee machine at the dealship is pretty good. I recommend the french vanilla.. A flat screen tv while you wait and a eel name Earl for you to enjoy. If you do decide to go to dealer, make sure you tell them the tires are for a Lexus vehicle, so you will at least know how long it would take.

To make a long story short. My appt was 7:15. The service advisor tell me to come back at 12. I said no way, I was told it will only take 1 hour to do. Why does it take so long and my appt being so early. They said they have to wait for a tech to do it. I thought everyone who worked on cars was a tech. Anyway, the service advisor later said they'll have it done by 10. He said the time for Honda vehicles will be faster.

PS .. the tire is awesome. great handling and very quiet. I picked it over the Sumitomo HTR ZIII.. too bad they dont; have in stock.. but no regrets here.

Also, they gave me a free car wash, alhtough my rims was very dirty.. can't argue with that..

Last edited by kqt2ktval; 09-25-08 at 08:42 PM.