Print Wikipost

Uneven tire wear, no drop... normal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-10, 04:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
Has anyone had their car re-aligned at a reputable alignment shop?

How much was it for them to adjust the toe in more, to reduce inner tire wear? How much did you toe it in?

My car is the same way, but only on the front driver-side. I don't drive my vehicle "hard" at all, but can definitely tell the tire is wearing unevenly.
You might want to look a this thread.
Old 11-07-11, 06:20 PM
bobbo1978
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same with my car, 2008 is350 rwd, 26k miles on the front tire. I check my tires maybe once every 2 mo but rarely turn it to check the inner edge. When I saw this yesterday I was shocked, good thing I caught it early.. If it had a chance to blow out on the freeway that would not turn out well
Attached Thumbnails Uneven tire wear, no drop... normal?-is350tire.jpg  
Old 11-07-11, 06:31 PM
dackp143
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bobbo1978
Same with my car, 2008 is350 rwd, 26k miles on the front tire. I check my tires maybe once every 2 mo but rarely turn it to check the inner edge. When I saw this yesterday I was shocked, good thing I caught it early.. If it had a chance to blow out on the freeway that would not turn out well
Get an alignment every once in a while and then also try and make sure your pressure is checked every week unless you grab some nitrogen. With nitrogen you can check only once a month. Also, tires never last as long as they are projected unless you *** lives in a bubble and makes no turns.
Old 11-07-11, 06:43 PM
bobbo1978
Rookie

Originally Posted by dackp143
Get an alignment every once in a while and then also try and make sure your pressure is checked every week unless you grab some nitrogen. With nitrogen you can check only once a month. Also, tires never last as long as they are projected unless you *** lives in a bubble and makes no turns.
I was hoping to push 35k out of them. Definitely not your average Lexus driver, I like my corners not big on straight line acceleration, those on ramps are fun. That said this car is heavy
Old 01-08-12, 09:16 PM
turtle922
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the great information on this topic. I have a 2008 IS250 with 16K miles...was driving about 75 on the freeway today and all of a sudden hear a noise by my front driver tire like a stick or something was in there. Thank goodness I was able to pull over only to find the inside thread and torn off and was like a rope flapping around. I was so thankful my tire didn't blow!!!

16K miles? really?? I'm taking to the Lexus service tomorrow, but does anyone have any udpate from Lexus on the problem?
Old 01-09-12, 05:17 AM
Toymota
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah you definitely don't want to have a blowout on the freeway. Everyone needs to keep an eye on those inside edges for wear.

Warning: the following video is quite graphic and probably involved a death even though the body is not shown.

http://youtu.be/C3hPYzT8LqM
Old 01-09-12, 01:42 PM
turtle922
Driver School Candidate

So I brought my car to Lexus today and got the same "this is how the car is built so it's normal wear" explanation, however I had just had my car in for service in Oct and noone had mentioned to me my tires were shot. They admitted that they should have noticed and that it it a major safety issue. I need both front tires replaced and they are giving me one for free for their "mistake".

I guess I'm happy with that, but to me this still a major issue that Lexus IS owners NEED to be made aware of so they know to keep an eye on their tires since the service people aren't doing their job.
Old 01-09-12, 06:58 PM
SPS
Rookie

I think FiveOhNine gave you the answer back on page one of this thread. I took my car in for an alignment and told him regardless of what factory specs are, I want significantly more positive camber. He was one of the owners, and I don't think he is a hack. He called my suspension "non adjustable". He said he could get some components to put real adjustment into my front suspension, but it would be rather expensive. He suggested I keep the tires pressure a little on the high side, which tends to wear the center of the tire.
Old 01-09-12, 07:06 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I got my car properly aligned from a reputable place and I don't have inner wear issues on my car.

They corrected the geometry of the vehicle - therefore this was able to adjust the cambers. Even thou camber does not have an adjustable setting - there are components which can be adjusted to be able to adjust the cambers indirectly. Only reputable or experiecned tech will be able to do it, and it does not require change pieces as long as if it is within tolerence.

Last edited by Sango; 01-09-12 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-09-12, 07:08 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SPS
I think FiveOhNine gave you the answer back on page one of this thread. I took my car in for an alignment and told him regardless of what factory specs are, I want significantly more positive camber. He was one of the owners, and I don't think he is a hack. He called my suspension "non adjustable". He said he could get some components to put real adjustment into my front suspension, but it would be rather expensive. He suggested I keep the tires pressure a little on the high side, which tends to wear the center of the tire.
Close, but not quite.

Lobuxracer gives the correct answer one post lower in the thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3859930-post11.html

the factory toe setting on the car sucks. Find a competent alignment tech to fix it if you have the problem. (this is usually NOT someone at a lexus dealership)
Old 04-14-14, 01:01 AM
bobbo1978
Rookie

Two years, 26,000 miles later another set of fronts is ready to go. This time it's the outter edge which is not surprising since I like my corners but was really hoping for at least 30k
Old 09-04-15, 09:32 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

I have this same exact problem on my 2014 IS350 AWD F Sport.

Here's my thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ment-help.html

Scheduled to bring my car to the dealer on Wednesday.

Any and all insight and advice for ideal resolution would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by dbs600; 09-09-15 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-05-15, 12:03 PM
leaderpvp
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem with my toyo t1sport, that i inhrited from previous owner. I have replaced with GY assymetric 2 and realigned... Iy started to wear slowly, i have realigned again and this time they set to 0 deg. curretly i feel the car shakes while close to lock, seems like currently the tires will worn on outside i will check this later this week.
Old 09-09-15, 10:01 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Any updates anyone?
Old 09-10-15, 12:38 AM
leaderpvp
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs600
Any updates anyone?
no yet, tomorrow at morning going to service and post an update on the subject.

Quick Reply: Uneven tire wear, no drop... normal?