Print Wikipost

Uneven tire wear, no drop... normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-08, 09:46 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I can't believe all the BS in this thread. NORMAL? HELL NO!!! There are only two things that wear out the outer tread blocks - too much toe in (does NOT meet stock spec) or consistently very hard cornering.

Inner edge wear should NOT happen again unless there is too much toe out - there is NO other reason. There isn't enough camber in this car to wear anything prematurely and camber isn't the issue at anything less than -2.5 degrees. The front is -0.8 and the rear is -1.5 - pretty normal for a factory alignment to ensure the car understeers.

I went 32k miles on my factory Bridgestone RE050s. Iv'e gone nearly 30k on my RE050A PPs and they're about half worn. Proper alignment does amazing things.

The biggest problem with alignments is the guys doing them are usually minimum wage idiots. They don't understand the principles behind what alignment does, they just set up the car to show "good" on their computer controlled devices. It rarely results in good alignment for the performance driver, and frequently doesn't even meet the needs of the casual driver. There's a lot to be said for having someone who really knows what he's doing working on your car's alignment. Even if it is only toe adjustment.

For instance - how many alignment techs actually check air pressure before they do the alignment? Having the correct pressure in all four corners is critical to getting the alignment right. How many actually measure ride height? If the ride height isn't correct, NOTHING will be right according to the factory specs.

So, wearing out the outside or inside edges of your tires is NOT normal for any 2IS - it is a clear sign there is an issue with your alignment or possibly your driving.

I agree with what you are saying, I believe that the majority of IS are out of alignment as delivered maybe from being strapped down to tight on the ship coming from Japan.
Old 09-24-08, 09:10 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine became out of alignment when they designed it; deciding it's better that I don't have the ability to adjust it to my own specs.
Old 09-25-08, 07:40 AM
Jefe's IS
Pole Position

When I bought my IS250 AWD a week ago there was a tire warning sticker on the psg. side rear door. I didn't read it but when I asked the salesman he told me it was a "notice" to inform buyers that the tires would not last longer than 20k to 25K miles. the reason I took his word for it and did not read it myself was that I had been told by several sources that the only complaint they have on the IS250 is tire wear. Expect to get new tires aound the 20-25k mark.

An FYI for newer owners out there. I was reading the warranty info last week and came across the alignment warranty. Lexus will warranty the alignment for one year unlimited mileage.
Old 09-27-08, 09:39 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Jefe's IS
When I bought my IS250 AWD a week ago there was a tire warning sticker on the psg. side rear door. I didn't read it but when I asked the salesman he told me it was a "notice" to inform buyers that the tires would not last longer than 20k to 25K miles. the reason I took his word for it and did not read it myself was that I had been told by several sources that the only complaint they have on the IS250 is tire wear. Expect to get new tires aound the 20-25k mark.

An FYI for newer owners out there. I was reading the warranty info last week and came across the alignment warranty. Lexus will warranty the alignment for one year unlimited mileage.
I recommend you get a free alignment check A.S.A.P. it might save your front tires
Old 10-12-08, 06:14 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

any update on this?
Old 12-03-08, 11:35 AM
shortbus19
Pole Position

I have an update....

Took my IS in for regular service yesterday. Has about 20k on it. The front tires inner treads are pretty much the consistency of drag radials. However the rest of the tread is fine...including the outer edges. Hell, even the rear inner treads are ok and the rears have more negative camber.

I spoke with my service advisor and he says its normal on all IS's that he sees. I personally think the factory toe spec on the front alignment is garbage and ultimately the cause of this. I know what sports suspension and negative camber can do to tires...I previously owned an 04 350Z that was lowered. This issue on the IS is factory toe out plain and simple.

I sent Lexus Customer Affiars an email yesterday explaining the issue to them and I hope to hear back. In the meantime I'm probably going to need to get new tires.
Old 12-03-08, 11:47 AM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

^^ keep us posted.
Old 12-03-08, 11:49 AM
shortbus19
Pole Position

Here is my correspondence thus far with Lexus.

Sent yesterday:

To Whom It May Concern:
I presently own a 2007 Lexus IS20 which I purchased back in July 2007 brand new. It has been a great car overall and I have been very pleased. My entire family actually drives Lexus vehicles (06 GS430, 05 RX330, 06 IS250 and my 07 IS250). Recently I had my IS in for service; a simple oil change. I was informed that my front tires were worn and I required new ones. When I was shown the tires I noticed the tread wear was odd. The wear was only on the inner treads and it was quite severe. The rest of the tire was in good condition and had at least another 8k miles left in them. It did not look like normal off camber wear as one could expect from any sports sedan or sports car; it was simply and only the inner treads. Now, I have owned sports cars in the past, including a Nissan 350Z, which have quite a bit more negative camber, and I have never experienced such odd tire wear, especially on a car which has very little negative camber on the front tires.

Now, I am not alone in this situation as my Brother who owns the 2006 IS250 has replaced his tires due to similar circumstances. Also, I am a member of a National Lexus owner’s forum and many individuals on there have experienced similar issues as well. The tire wear seems to be as a result of toe-out alignment from the factory and as such should be addressed by Lexus. I am curious if Lexus knows of this issue and if they are in fact working towards any sort of resolution or if they feel this is an acceptable condition for a $35k vehicle to have.

If you could please put me in touch with an individual regarding this I would be greatly appreciative. I have photographs of the tires and am also working towards providing names of others who have similar issues. I feel considering Lexus’ quality and customer service orientated business model that they would want to work towards a mutually beneficial resolution to this matter. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Jason J. Grosso

Their response today:

Dear Mr. Grosso:

Thank you for contacting the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department. We appreciate the time you have taken to share your thoughts. It is through input, such as yours, that we are able to gain greater insight as to how our customers perceive the products we sell.

Lexus appreciates your loyalty to brand and are thankful for you and your family's purchases. We make every effort to manufacture a quality product by researching, testing, and constantly monitoring performance. Consumer opinion and perception also play an active role in our ongoing efforts to lead the automobile industry in quality, innovation, styling, and reliability. We apologize that you are displeased with the tire wear on your 2007 IS 250. Unfortunately, we are not a technical facility and do rely on our dealers to provide a proper diagnosis of any vehicle's concerns. Our vehicles come equipped with high performance tires that may experience 20,000 miles of tread life, depending on driving conditions. If there is something in particular you are seeking from our offices towards your tire service, please advise us and I would be glad to forward your request to the appropriate department.

We will document your concerns at Lexus to ensure your comments are available for management visibility. We hope that your future interactions with Lexus will reflect the high standards of quality that we strive to uphold. If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., or Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.

Sincerely,

Lexus Customer Satisfaction

My response to her:

Ms. Shields,
Thank you for your prompt response to my letter. I fully understand that the IS is considered a sports sedan and comes from the factory with such specs. I also understand that the factory Bridgestone Turanza tires have a very low tread wear rating of only 140. However, with that said I do know how cars are supposed to work and how tires are supposed to wear, even in a sports sedan/car with a slight negative camber in the alignment. Yet the wear on my tires is not a result of negative camber as much as it is a result of the alignment being toe out from the factory.

As I mentioned I am not the only one experiencing this. Many other IS owners I have spoken with have the same problem where the inner tread block prematurely wearing to a near bald state while the other blocks are in good and fully functional condition.

What I would like to see is Lexus actually admit this is a known issue and address it. I would hope Lexus would take the right path and make a point to assist their loyal buyers in this issue. Please put me in contact with an individual I can speak with about this matter. Thank you for you time and have an excellent week.

Sincerely,
Jason Grosso
Old 12-03-08, 06:31 PM
AZ06IS350
Pole Position

You can add me on the list of IS owners who have experienced unusual wear on the inner blocks! I have 52000 miles on my 06 IS350 and I am on my 3rd set of tires. I only recently lowered my car a little, so I know that wasn't the cause of the problem. The middle and outer tread blocks had about 10,000 miles left on them, but the inner were completely gone!
Old 12-04-08, 08:12 AM
shortbus19
Pole Position

Will do man. I heard back from the Lexus Customer Assistance rep this morning and they are pushing the case up to a group that handles this kind of thing. I replaced my fronts yesterday with a pair of General Exclaim UHP's and I am glad I did. When they took the tires off and I got a close look at them I noticed that in some areas on the inner tread blocks the tire had begun to separate internally and could have resulted in a pretty bad blowout. I was kinda shocked at how bad the inner blocks were considering the rest of the tire was in good shape and had about another 5-8k easily left on them. I can't really give much feedback on the General's as I have only driven on them now for about 40 miles. However thus far I have noticed they ride well, allbeit a bit more firm (due to the harder rubber compound and firmer side wall), they are not really any louder, however again they are brand new. I did notice they give more road feedback in the steering wheel, and handle better in spirited turning...all due to the rubber compound and higher load rating I am sure. Anywho, I'll keep you all posted.
Old 12-04-08, 08:29 AM
njmurvin
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So, what's the consensus here? I had more outside (fronts only) wear on my OEM tires (at 26k) and replaced two weeks ago with Goodyear F1 All Seasons. Should I get it aligned or it this outside wear fairly normal/expected? I know that my wife's BMW 330 wore the fronts on the outside (like this one) and the rears on the inside and it was considered normal.
Old 12-04-08, 09:30 AM
shortbus19
Pole Position

NJ, not sure the concensus. I seem to understand that most of the wear is on the inside (towards the inner part of the car) treads. If yours are on teh outside that could be as a result of either positive camber ( tires like this \ / from the front ) or a toe in alignment situation. I guess we would need a poll to see who had what odd wear.
Old 12-08-08, 01:34 PM
shortbus19
Pole Position

UPDATE

Ok, so I spoke with a Lexus Customer Service Mgr and he is working on my case to see what can be done for me. However I was told if any of you guys experience the same issue, with extreme uneven/premature tire wear when when the alignment is on spec to contact Lexus Customer Service via their website and inform them, in detail, of you issue. You can see my post a few posts up of what exactly I sent them. Simply inform them if you are having the same issue and ask them to get you in touch with someone. You will receive a call within a few days. If this is a big issue with many IS's Lexus would more then likely address it on a large scale (TSIB).
Old 12-08-08, 04:58 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

I had this problem on my OE tires...outer wear much faster than the rest of the tire. However, I still got 30k+ miles on them (i got the re050's), and I do a fair bit of hard cornering (lots of good corners to and from work...hard to resist!)

Now I've got some Pilot Sport A/S Plus's...we'll see how they do.
Old 12-08-08, 11:07 PM
holYcOO
Pole Position

count me in for one....

guy I bought it from had to replace the fronts at 25k and had an alignment done but of uneven tire wear....interesting.

Quick Reply: Uneven tire wear, no drop... normal?