IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 01-06-15, 03:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY remove the grille with pictures (56k nooo.....)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-13, 11:55 AM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great DIY, when I attempted this I ended up taking the entire grill off haha... Either way the pictures helped.
Old 05-07-13, 06:09 PM
joedad
Rookie

I have an'09 is250 and somehow something/someone pushed the chrome surround in about 1/16th an inch on about 4 inches wide on the passenger side without scratching the chrome or bending anything else (I don't have a clue, it's amazing ), the only thing pushed in is the surround, missed the hood and grille center piece. What exactly is the surround made of ( pot metal or what?) and can I get behind it and push it out without breaking it? Thanks in advance for any info., you guys are the best for DIYers
Old 09-11-14, 08:41 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Somewhat new to this forum as I purchased a certified 2011 IS350 and wanted to change the upper stock grille to the F-sport grille. Purchased the F-sport insert from Sewell and used this DIY guide. This was an excellent write-up. Thanks to the OP and the many helpful replies! I felt very confident going into the process after reading this thread.

Note: On the 2011 grille, there are screws that attached the insert to the chrome surround. I was surprised to see that but it wasn't a problem, just a few extra steps. Hands down, this forum is the best resource for your lex - no question.
Old 09-22-14, 07:33 PM
Shanksmoon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pfdaxe
Adding to the DIY:

I just installed my IS-F (replica) grille from Ebay. The fit is perfect and install took about 10 mins. And...you DO NOT have to remove the chrome surround to install! Once I removed the clips and 10mm screw from the top, I pulled off the weatherstripping that wasn't attached to the grille. There are 2 little pins on each side that come out. They came off easy. If they pull out of the weatherstripping, they go right back in with no problem. I then reached down and pushed the tabs that are on the side and bottom of the OEM insert. Once the tabs were loose, I just pushed the insert in toward the radiator and it came out. I then placed the new grille insert into the chrome surround from the back side and it snapped into place. There is no need what so ever to pull the chrome surround out unless your replacing the whole thing.
This method works really well. Just be carefull not to bend the chrome peice to much. Got mine installed in about 15min due to some issues with the weather stripping tabs. Next time I will just rip the stripping off first and add the tabs back after.
Old 09-22-14, 07:46 PM
Aviator753
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the Info. Great write up
Old 06-07-16, 02:41 PM
Club Lexus Editor
CL Editor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How-To Tuesday

Seems like the perfect subject matter for How-To Tuesday...
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/t...illing-season/
Old 10-27-16, 04:43 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I just installed an F-sport grill on my car. It will come out without touching the chrome outer part and weatherstripping
Old 04-26-17, 12:52 AM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BlckGhst
I just installed an F-sport grill on my car. It will come out without touching the chrome outer part and weatherstripping
I installed my Ebay F-Sport grille today also and I did it without removing the weatherstrips and outer chrome bezel. Thanks a million to CL for having these DIY.
Old 09-30-17, 06:58 AM
Raar
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, can confirm again that you don't need to remove chrome bezel or weatherstrip.

Just tug the bottom tabs out, the hard part was the two long tabs on the sides. Had to yank hard to pry those out. After that wiggle the old grille out and repeat backwards to put the new one in.
Old 05-22-18, 07:20 PM
buildabear
Driver School Candidate

sorry for digging this thread ... can somebody confirm that you can install the f sport grill (53112-53140) on is250 2010 without touching the chrome bezel and weather strips ? Can I use the same method above

"Yup, can confirm again that you don't need to remove chrome bezel or weatherstrip.

Just tug the bottom tabs out, the hard part was the two long tabs on the sides. Had to yank hard to pry those out. After that wiggle the old grille out and repeat backwards to put the new one in."

thanks to all....
Old 01-09-20, 09:37 PM
Geojo87
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by buildabear
sorry for digging this thread ... can somebody confirm that you can install the f sport grill (53112-53140) on is250 2010 without touching the chrome bezel and weather strips ? Can I use the same method above

"Yup, can confirm again that you don't need to remove chrome bezel or weatherstrip.

Just tug the bottom tabs out, the hard part was the two long tabs on the sides. Had to yank hard to pry those out. After that wiggle the old grille out and repeat backwards to put the new one in."

thanks to all....
does any one know where I can buy a isf / f sport grill to fit in my 2010 is350
Old 01-10-20, 06:02 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Geojo87
does any one know where I can buy a isf / f sport grill to fit in my 2010 is350
nope. the 2009-2010 was a one off bumper design that didn't have a good F sport grill or aftermarket options. The 2011+ can use the OEM Fsport grills or aftermarket. The 06-08 have alot of aftermarket options. the 09-10 got screwed.

IS-F is totally different design and bumper.
Old 01-10-20, 08:50 PM
Geojo87
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sinister2c
nope. the 2009-2010 was a one off bumper design that didn't have a good F sport grill or aftermarket options. The 2011+ can use the OEM Fsport grills or aftermarket. The 06-08 have alot of aftermarket options. the 09-10 got screwed.

IS-F is totally different design and bumper.
has any body successfully retrofitted the grille? Or is this just plain not possible?
Old 11-28-20, 03:22 PM
Protholl
Advanced

Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts

First off I apologize if I've made a party foul with my bump/hijack of an old thread. This was the closest I found searching this forum.

I've completed this procedure but for the 08 IS250 (and I'd assume other early 2gen years) you do have to remove the chrome surround first. Everything comes out from the front. Nothing can be removed by pushing it closer to the radiator. The inner grille is installed from the front and fits into the bumper/surround through slots in it. The chrome surround is then inserted into the slots meant for it in the bumper and holds in the inner grille in place along with the 10mm bolt and the four large clips.

Now for my question. When I was removing the weatherstrip I damaged about half the clips that hold it down. I can't find anybody that sells those little plastic clips and I'm searching for them. I was able to carefully pull away the weatherstrip without tearing it for the stubborn clips. Can any of you let me know where I can buy them?

Thank you,
Jeffrey

Last edited by Protholl; 11-28-20 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-28-20, 06:38 PM
JunoBR
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Protholl
First off I apologize if I've made a party foul with my bump/hijack of an old thread. This was the closest I found searching this forum.

I've completed this procedure but for the 08 IS250 (and I'd assume other early 2gen years) you do have to remove the chrome surround first. Everything comes out from the front. Nothing can be removed by pushing it closer to the radiator. The inner grille is installed from the front and fits into the bumper/surround through slots in it. The chrome surround is then inserted into the slots meant for it in the bumper and holds in the inner grille in place along with the 10mm bolt and the four large clips.

Now for my question. When I was removing the weatherstrip I damaged about half the clips that hold it down. I can't find anybody that sells those little plastic clips and I'm searching for them. I was able to carefully pull away the weatherstrip without tearing it for the stubborn clips. Can any of you let me know where I can buy them?

Thank you,
Jeffrey
I don't know where you can find those clips, but you can tack it back down with Sugru. I just used it to tack down one of the rain channel weatherstrip. Worked like a charm and it's heat resistant. If you haven't heard of it before, it's a moldable silicone glue that sticks to almost any clean surface and will cure within 24 hours. I just revamped a black /black '08 and used it to make new radio button caps, repair a dent in the side of the center console, repair a hole in the leather and also to fix the Center engine cover. The two hollow screws that snap it down had cracked. Great stuff. Buy it in small packets on amazon.

Quick Reply: DIY remove the grille with pictures (56k nooo.....)