IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Installing Tom's Rear: Need Help Quick Pleeeeease

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-08, 04:01 PM
gizbx4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Tom's Rear: Need Help Quick Pleeeeease

Yesterday my body shop finally had time to paint and install my toms rear diffuser. I gave them the plastic package with everything that was included to install the piece.

When i picked my car up i immediately noticed that the fitment was off. When i went in for a closer look i could see WHITE double sided tape all along the top. it was clearly not the tape that came with the kit and looked to be fairly thick. in the threads i have read about the toms rear ive heard some people mention weather stripping, so i am guessing it was the tape that was in the plastic package. when i asked about the tape that was in the bag they said they must have misplaced it or thrown it away

My question is what kind of double sided tape is included with the kit and what kind of weather stripping is provided. the weather stripping seems like it would correct any small issues with the fitment. it would be great if i could tell them exactly what is included so they can order it and PROPERLY install it for me.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-16-08, 04:12 PM
MIAMIGS3
Lexus Test Driver

the wheather stripping makes the diffuser and bumper blend together , the tape is a very thin 3M automotive tape . hope this helps good luck

Last edited by MIAMIGS3; 09-16-08 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-16-08, 04:27 PM
gizbx4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MIAMIS250
the wheather stripping makes the diffuser and bumper blend together , the tape is a very thin 3M automotive tape . hope this helps good luck
thanks for your input. would you happen to know what kind of weather stripping is used, and does it have adhesive on both sides, like the double sided tape?

does anyone else have more info on the weather stripping?
Old 09-16-08, 05:53 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the double sided tape that's used it actually thicker than the regular 3m double sided tape you're used to. it's almost double the thickness. here's a pic:

my guess is that your shop forgot to put the weather stripping on. i would ask them to find that weather stripping cuz those things are hard to come by. the weather stripping has adhesive on one side and it sticks to the diffuser. it does not stick at all to the bumper. good luck finding another weather stripping if your shop can't find it.
Old 09-16-08, 06:50 PM
MIAMIGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
the double sided tape that's used it actually thicker than the regular 3m double sided tape you're used to. it's almost double the thickness. here's a pic:

my guess is that your shop forgot to put the weather stripping on. i would ask them to find that weather stripping cuz those things are hard to come by. the weather stripping has adhesive on one side and it sticks to the diffuser. it does not stick at all to the bumper. good luck finding another weather stripping if your shop can't find it.
I meant thinner width , sorry .
Old 09-17-08, 09:51 AM
MY2J
Pole Position

damn thats some thick tape! it's hard to believe it won't leave a huge gap in between
Old 09-17-08, 11:26 AM
gizbx4
Pole Position

i called the shop today and the owner admitted that they lost the whole plastic package with everything in it

would it be possible to get another one?
Old 09-17-08, 11:31 AM
gizbx4
Pole Position

does anyone have detailed pics of what comes with the toms rear to install it??
Old 09-17-08, 12:15 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i have hi-res pics of the instruction manual in japanese. it has drawings of what came in the package... weather stripping, 4 screws, 4 washers and PAC primer. i dunno how a shop can lose a package or simply throw it out. it's gotta be somewhere. have them find it or compensate you somehow. only way to get another one is to buy another lip. if they're a shop, i'm sure they can source some similar weather stripping from somewhere and use that. ing+1 uses a similar if not same strip and i've seen similar strips on corollas with the factory body kit. it's better than nothing. have them do the legwork since it's their mistake.
Old 09-17-08, 12:51 PM
lexus27
Pit Crew

Also, you can go to a hobbyshop and ask for double sided tape or servo tape. I use these for my Radio control cars and used it on my front lip on the IS and they work well! You'll also notice that they are pretty thin.
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/842036.asp
Old 09-17-08, 05:55 PM
gizbx4
Pole Position

please does anyone else have more info on the toms weather wtripping and if i can get another one, or something similar
Old 09-24-08, 02:44 PM
gizbx4
Pole Position

bumppp!!! please help!!!
Old 09-24-08, 05:42 PM
MIAMIGS3
Lexus Test Driver

why do you ask the Tom's retailer to order you one ?
Old 03-24-11, 02:56 PM
lmschuur
Rookie

This just happened to me as well; well actually the first time around, the shop ****ed up and lost it, so they molded it to the rear bumper. Then, some ***-clown hit the car and didn't leave a note, so insurance covered it and had another one shipped from Japan. I got the 3m(if it is that) weather stripping and made sure it went on, problem is, the sticky was almost completely gone, so we used a 3m adhesive material that looked bomb for a while, but then it started warping, so now the car looks like crap because of it and I need to find more of the weather stripping material, preferably in a roll. Go to Tom's you say? Well, due to more great luck, the tsunami put them out of commission for a while and who knows when that option will be around again. If anyone has an idea where to get the stuff, please let me know. I need this to make the car look complete.
Old 03-24-11, 03:28 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had quite a few kits and the ONLY way I suggest you repair something like is this is with silicone. This will HOLD the lip on the car like WE all want to. The only way I wouldn't do it is if it was a lease. I hear/see so many problems with the 3M tape that it just doesn't hold super well for long.

Quick Reply: Installing Tom's Rear: Need Help Quick Pleeeeease