IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

engine compartment rattle = camshaft issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-08, 05:56 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default engine compartment rattle = camshaft issue

so on the advice of another CL member, i took my car into a nearby dealership for warranty repairs, more notably a rattle that's been coming from the engine compartment - i think a few of you have complained of the same issue. so i drop off my car yesterday morning, and was told that the service advisor would contact me by the afternoon. i ended up being busy the whole day, and late in the afternoon i get a voicemail from the service advisor.

long story short, the service advisor said i had an issue with the camshaft gears, and that they would have to hold my car until monday when the foreman and/or a district service technician from lexus corporate visits the dealership on monday and run diagnostics on my car.

obviously without further diagnosis i won't know the true culprit of the rattle, but they will have to hold my car at the dealership until they fix it. obviously, this could potentially throw a wrench into my EOS plans, so i'm hoping that this would be a quick fix and i'd get my car back before EOS... but i digress

my question is, for those of you who have taken your 2is's in for the startup rattle from the engine compartment, what was your issue/fix?

--

on another note, they gave me a 2008 is250 loaner. admittedly, this car isn't as fast as the is350 (heck, or even fast at all) but it does get a few more miles per gallon than the is350, and it's just equally plush and sporty. i think if it wasn't for my need for speed, i'd go with the is250 just because it still looks equally sexy, feels equally luxurious, and gets better MPG to boot.
Old 09-07-08, 07:58 AM
ajmtbm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a tsb for the isue - sounds like it might be that. it is for a rattle that occurs in the 1st fe seconds after startup. looks like a fairly involved repair.
Old 09-07-08, 09:42 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

there's a TSB for the start-up rattle?...

well, i'll call tomorrow afternoon and find out where the dealership is at with this.
Old 09-07-08, 10:00 PM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I beleive this subject is about COLD START.. What year is your car? IF the car is 06-07 model, yes it cover on TSB.... 08 model barely have cold start issue but call the service about the cold start..
Old 09-07-08, 11:02 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they take the engine apart (parts needed to be taken off) and replace the cam shaft.

I'm sure someone will let u know...
Old 09-08-08, 03:14 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

i just spoke with my service advisor, and they found that the reason for the clicking noise at cold start-up was due to a set of bad cam gears, which will be replaced under warranty.

good thing is, there isn't any engine damage, and they've already placed an order for the replacement cam gears to arrive at the dealership tomorrow. assuming that happens, and that the service techs work on the car right away, i should have my car back by thursday.

what i found odd was that not only did they make no mention that this was a TSB issue, but that when i asked the service advisor if the cold-start clicking nose was a TSB issue he replied that he has no prior information to indicate that this was a TSB issue...

whatever the case, at least they won't be tearing my engine apart to do this, and i'll very likely have my car back for EOS.
Old 09-08-08, 04:02 PM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

If they have the parts, it won't take more than 2 days to complete the work. When I got my car fixed for start up rattle, it was completed in a day and a half. You should be good.

Terrance
Old 09-08-08, 10:29 PM
GordoNx3o9
Pole Position

When you pick up your car, your receipt should somewhere mention the TSB #. When they replace the camshaft gears, it is a TSB job. I picked up my car 9 days after I dropped it off for the same problem, but then again, that was over the labor day weekend. I expected them to finish earlier though, as they promised. I just hope they weren't using my car as a guinea pig of the TSB repair. It's been 3 days, since the repair was finished, no sound yet. Hopefully it will stay that way.
Old 09-11-08, 02:53 PM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

my 250 also have the "clicking noise", the salesman told me it was the valve moving fast. I will bring my car for safety check on noise.
Old 09-11-08, 03:50 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

the clicking noise at idle is the direct injection working; it's supposed to sound like that.

now if you have a clicking/grinding noise on cold start-ups, then you have the same issue i do, which definitely requires a visit to the dealership.