IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HID which is best 6K, 8K, or 10K?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-08, 06:19 PM
NODNARl3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID which is best 6K, 8K, or 10K?

i am about to get the AAC oracle demon eyes for both my headlights and foglights and i was wondering which one is best 6k, 8k or 10k. thx
Old 07-19-08, 06:42 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

The higher K you go the more light you loose. I personally won't go past 6K.
Old 07-19-08, 09:22 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

well if they're just halos, it wouldn't really matter since they don't exactly emit light onto the road, more or less just works like a DRL or parking lights.

in that sense, you should get the color you want. between 6000k and 10000k it's just a color difference. if i were you, i'd decide on the look you want. do you want it to match your low beams? or do you want a contrast so that when your low beams are on there's a slightly bluer halo ring around it? i'd personally get the 8000k or 10000k's. 10000k's basically VERY blue and 8000k is somewhat blue with a hint of white. 6000k's will be white with a hint of blue.

you should get 6000k low beams indefinately then get a set of 8000k or 10000k halos to wrap around it. that way a white light with a hint of blue will emit from the low beams then a blue ring will wrap around the halos to give it a cool contrast. OR you can get 6000k halos with the bulbs. you might not see the halos too well but with low beams off, it'd look better. it comes down to preference.

but before you go off and buy it, make sure you know what you're getting yourself into during the install. i don't recall EXACTLY but a member installed it and required you to remove the housing's cover and to bake the headlight with the halos to hold it in place. that or you can use a heatgun/blow dryer. i think you can also send your headlights in for them to do it for you. up to you. just get the look YOU want if you intend to do it.
Old 07-19-08, 09:35 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

yes it's not easy at all to install halos in any setup
however, I agree with kuuqi.
it's a matter of personal preference. Cold cathode halos put very little light on the road. I would probably go 8k or 6k, but that's a matter of personal preference. (don't like attracting to omuch attention)
Old 07-19-08, 09:50 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

i read up on the install which you can find in our FAQ.

you need to remove the entire bumper and remove the headunit and all wires that come off. you then need to bake the headlight to loosen the glue. then you need to pry off the lens and place the halos in place. you need to make sure the halos are holding as you wouldn't want them to fall out just to have to do it all over again.

after the halos are on, you need to drag the wire through and put the lens back on to bake again. each baking session is 20 minutes. at which point you need to wire it. a ballast is used too much like installing aftermarket HID kits. from the FAQ, the ballasts are small enough to fit within the housing. power is needed and you need to decide where to get the power from. the FAQ used the parking light as the source of power. you can either use the parking light to power it directly or slit the wire to have it power both the halos and the parking light. You can also use the DRL to power it but that would cause it to be off at night.

Also, unless the DRL is off, when you turn on parking lights, the DRL will be on and cause a yellow tint. you can ammend this by either having the dealer turn off the DRL (which most dealers wont do due to liability) or changing your DRL bulb to an LED of similar color. also the other problem is that you need to make sure during reinstallation that the housing is sealed properly or condensation will occur. the whole process is somewhat of a risk. so if you do it and you mess up, you might need to buy a new headlight which i think is $200 each on ebay. just a heads up
Old 07-20-08, 09:19 AM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

If you travel alot in the Hwy at night ,then you shouldnot put more than 6k because the higher you go the more of light you loss. If you are a city driver than go with the 8k since there is alot of lights around and you do not need a powerful light.

just my 2cent