IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Terrible mistake on the freeway tonight!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-08, 01:41 AM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would assume two possible scenarios.

1) by shifting into park with a moving car, the prawls inside the tranny would snap, thus your car wouldn't hold in place in park. Try going on a slight hill and put it in park, does it move? No? And your car drives fine? You're all set.

That would be the worst case scenario and I believe all companies of recent cars have a protection toward situations like that.

2) The transmission detected the car was still moving and left the tranny on neutral. I would assume this is the most likely of possibilties. The transmission probably disengages the transmission until the car comes to a complete stop which it then engages the prawls to hold the car. I would assume reverse works the same where onces the car is slow enough or stopped, it then engages to move the car in reverse. Or in both cases it will stay in neutral until you reshift. That's what I think happens.

I guess the easiest thing is to recall your memories and think. Did you hear grinding noises? Did it feel like the car just went into neutral? Did you hear things snapping off like they're breaking? If anything you can just bring it into the dealer and ask them about it.
Old 07-19-08, 06:28 AM
808Lexy
Rookie

OMG!...hellooooo, paddle shifters. let's just say if you heard loud grinding noises while you threw it in park then your hella screwed, if not and it ran fine then i guess it's ok but some damage could have been done. small or large it will come back. but i guess there is some kind of protection for this but i don't know cuz i never threw my car in park while driving 70+ on a freeway.
Old 07-19-08, 06:32 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think there is a protection for this. Not on the older cars tho

I remember learning to drive and my instructor had an old civic, I threw it into park before I fully stopped on the driveway probably still going 1-2 mph and the car sounded like this:

GEEEEEAAKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Old 07-19-08, 07:05 AM
nathan82
Rookie

Cool that Lexus has some kind of protection.

My buddy drove like a 2000 Subaru Legacy, he was going 80 and went from D to R....totally killed his tranny.
Old 07-19-08, 08:50 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Nah nothing will happen. Lexus and Toyota at least both have these mechanisms

My friend was messing around with me one time and when I was doing about 35 mph, shifted my 2000 camry into reverse! (I think she overshot neutral)

My car just turned off on the spot and all the warning lights came on. After e-braking to a full stop, I put the car into a stop, took out the key and reinserted it to restart the car. Worked like a charm.
Old 07-19-08, 09:25 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

I do this all the time to check out chicks behind me! You're fine.
Old 07-19-08, 09:32 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's nice to know about this feature. Not that I plan on trying it anytime soon!
Old 07-19-08, 10:46 AM
IS-MIKE
Driver

If there is some problem later and you have to get it fixed tell the tech a cooler story like you were getting road-head

But I think you're probably ok since it drives normally still.
Old 07-19-08, 10:59 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS-MIKE
If there is some problem later and you have to get it fixed tell the tech a cooler story like you were getting road-head

HAHAHAHAHAH.

And then they give him the bill to fix it so he'll have to wonder if said "road head" was worth it
Old 07-19-08, 11:16 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-MIKE

That actually happened to me. We were on the highway in a Jeep Grand Cherokee and she accidentally knocked it into Park going about 75. No grinding, but it put the car in neutral and shut off the engine, IIRC.

Needless to say she was a little 'gun shy' after that.
Old 07-19-08, 11:18 AM
jns350
Lexus Champion

Electronic shift transmissions on Lexus does have a cancel out protection. For the very same reason what happen to you had happen to others at some point. So if you did not hear a grind and left a parts trail you can breathe easier now
Old 07-19-08, 11:38 AM
A.C Milan
Lead Lap

if the gear still works than i think nothing happened.
Old 07-19-08, 12:57 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

its idiot proofed so you dont have to worry
Old 07-19-08, 02:06 PM
KML505
Driver

hahahha...yeah Im sure that scenario has happened many times before with the girlfriends. Seriously though, no grinding noise was apparent because I even turned off the radio to listen for any irregular noises. Since I had about 6 miles left before the exit, I accelerated and decelerated to catch any faulty movements but nothing seem unusual. I also tested the car on an incline and it was fine. I guess all is good then. Thanks for the inputs guys and gals! I swear....just talking to you guys made me feel so much better about my car than my girlfriend could have last night. Thanks.
Old 07-19-08, 02:32 PM
nsxiboi
Lead Lap

cool. glad your car is alright. If we can make you feel better than your gf can, then something is wrong. lol jk

Quick Reply: Terrible mistake on the freeway tonight!!