IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Seat temperature controls

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-08, 10:36 AM
Scythe
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IIRC = If i remember correctly
and i think HVAC are the settings you have your fans on.. floor, floor/face, floor/windshield

i turned it off today (i sort of have just had it left on 3 since its hot and i figure that would help cool me down, wether i feel it or not) for the drive to work and deffinatly noticed a difference w/out it, my back was a lot hotter, on the way home i put it on, and even though it was hotter out on my way back than in the morning, i wasnt nearly as sticky or hot on my lower back/gooch
Old 07-17-08, 11:54 AM
Mister T
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
As others have said, the seats are ventilated, not cooled. I appreciate the seat heaters in winter, but find the ventilators to be a complete waste of time.
You are correct.

For the record, I made that mistake in my 1st post and will fix now.
Old 07-17-08, 12:37 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Neither my seat heater nor cooler work for ****. They are basically useless. I just leave them off because if you had them on a forgot about it you most likely would not be able to tell anyways.
The heated seats in my old audi was like having a heating pad, it was great because I get a sore back sometimes. Oh well, keep in mind they car only cost 35K +/- a few grand. It has a great drive train and is very reliable, there really isn't too much else you should expect for that price.
Old 07-17-08, 01:44 PM
SoDiezl350
Driver

I too have noticed that mine aren't as strong as they used to be. I was on a long drive yesterday and decided to turn them off just to see if I notice a difference. Off or on, I couldn't tell anymore. I turned them back on and pointed the ventilation to my feet and still didn't feel anything. Usually I wear long pants so I figure that's why I didn't feel them but I was in shorts yesterday and was rather irritated by its lack of effectiveness.
Old 07-17-08, 04:52 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP
I have also been disappointed with the seat cooling system and feel that it is so inadequate that I don't even bother using it. If Lexus does not change the system to make it actually worthwhile to use, they might as well not even offer it. BTW, you can always NOT use it if you don't like it.
Well they won't scrap it, because just look at this thread. Looks almost like its split down the middle.

I like them a lot.
Old 07-18-08, 03:18 PM
Navigatn
Pole Position

the "ventilated seats" are a complete waste of time. i wish it extended to the back cuz my butt doesn't sweat as much as my back.
Old 07-18-08, 05:40 PM
nathan82
Rookie

This summer, I have pretty much left the ventilators on the whole time. When I turned it off, it felt awkward for me.
Old 07-19-08, 07:02 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Navigatn
the "ventilated seats" are a complete waste of time. i wish it extended to the back cuz my butt doesn't sweat as much as my back.
it does extend to the back.
Old 07-19-08, 09:32 PM
MicaIS
Driver School Candidate

They wont scrap it, why ? because it probably costs them less than $40 to have them in the seats and they get to charge you over $1000 for them!! Cha CHING!!
-Anthony
Old 07-20-08, 09:43 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So it doesn't use the AC units at all for the seats? Just outside air? It was a hot day out when I used it so maybe that's why I didn't notice it "cooling" the seats. Cheap system. Better than nothing I guess. I certainly hope the heat works better than the cooling aspects of it.
Old 07-21-08, 04:42 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusIS-TL
So it doesn't use the AC units at all for the seats? Just outside air? It was a hot day out when I used it so maybe that's why I didn't notice it "cooling" the seats. Cheap system. Better than nothing I guess. I certainly hope the heat works better than the cooling aspects of it.
No, not outside air either. It is just a fan in the seats that blows the air from under the seat through the perforations. The seat heaters work much better.
Old 07-21-08, 10:21 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

When i had is ES350 as a loaner, there ventilated seats works great i mean your BUTT GETS COOLED...i brought that up at the dealership... why is the ES works better and mine seems doenst really do anything? the tech told me that there's only one FAN for your lumbar and for the seat.. the ES have one on the lumbar and on the seat. thats why their ventilated works better.... I thinking the GS is the same thing, two fans on their seat..
Old 03-18-11, 10:59 AM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Rental MKX I have will turn you into a Popsicle !
Old 03-18-11, 12:28 PM
flyinsupra
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wkw84
i was about to start a thread about this too. i've noticed that they don't work all the time.. so the question is, do i need to have the a/c on to use the vented? when i use the vented seats, and don't turn on my a/c, it seems like they don't even work. i turn it on and put my hand over the seat after about a 1hr drive, and they're not even blowing any air! other times i could feel it blowing through my pants. i want them to work all the time.. not just sometimes!

and what is IIRC and HVAC?
HVAC refers to Heating Ventilating and Air Conditioning.
Old 03-18-11, 12:32 PM
machefai
Driver

yeah, mine gets pretty cold pretty fast. There's an immediate difference. Will need to try when it gets hotter out, though.

Quick Reply: Seat temperature controls