IS 250/350 Brake Dust & Rattling

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-08, 03:09 PM
stuynet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question IS 250/350 Brake Dust & Rattling

Hello,

I've read reviews on the IS line from Lexus and I keep on reading about rattling noises that cannot be fixed and problems from brake dust. Is this common? Or just a bad bunch that was produced?
Old 07-06-08, 05:05 PM
myculito
Lead Lap

Interesting question from someone as their first post.

What exactly is your concern?
Old 07-06-08, 08:24 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by stuynet
Hello,

I've read reviews on the IS line from Lexus and I keep on reading about rattling noises that cannot be fixed and problems from brake dust. Is this common? Or just a bad bunch that was produced?
since when brake dust was considered a problem???? The pads on the ISx50 are high performance pads, they help to brake better.Go and look all the mercedes and bmw's they have the "same problem"
Old 07-06-08, 08:36 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CAIFAN_64
since when brake dust was considered a problem???? The pads on the ISx50 are high performance pads, they help to brake better.Go and look all the mercedes and bmw's they have the "same problem"

thus is why i am not taking it in for a tsib. never know when you need them.

imo a lot of things happen when you over engineer things. more things can cause problem. btw you havent heard rattles till you drive a kia!
Old 07-06-08, 10:19 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,

Interesting question for a first time poster.

Lexus (unlike Mercedes or BMW) will replace your pads with ones that are more dust free for free as long as there is use able life left in the original pads. I had mine replaced at 10K. The good news: Almost no dust at all and the rims stay clean. The bad news: Higher rotor wear...no doubt willl need to replace them when the pads are down.

As for rattles..........you got to be kidding. My car has zero rattles that's a big O to you.
Old 07-07-08, 06:53 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by slee18

thus is why i am not taking it in for a tsib. never know when you need them.

imo a lot of things happen when you over engineer things. more things can cause problem. btw you havent heard rattles till you drive a kia!
Need them for what?

Go start your car up and do a panic stop. Now put the TSIB pads on...both sets of pads will provide -exactly- the same stopping distance (assuming the same environmental/road conditions).

The pads aren't what stops the car.

As long as they can engage the ABS system they'll have no impact on braking distance for any given stop.

They MIGHT make a difference in tendency to fade after quick repeated high speed stops... and one might wear better than the other (though one would think the supposed high-dust high-friction pad woul fare worse there) but unless you're road racing the car, or find yourself in the chase scene of the next bond film, that's not a real concern.
Old 07-07-08, 08:43 AM
DevJ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the TSIB for the brake pads! definitely worth it!
Old 07-07-08, 09:23 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I have stated many times last year, I had the brake TSIB, Dash Rattle (dash removed), seat squeak and i-pod in-line noise filter installed and I have no problems at all with my car. It is perfect and extremely quiet with same braking as dustier pads with barely any dust. My wheels were so bad after two days, they looked like the graphite package gone wrong. I am very happy now. I strongly recommend any members that have any or all or all of these issues to get them rectified under warranty and you will be happier than two bugs in a bakeshop.
Old 07-07-08, 09:39 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, every post so far has stated that there are no rattles or the rattles have been addressed. I guess I'll be the guy that throws my hat in the ring as the negative SOB that still has rattle problems. My car has been in the shop 3 times for rattles, creaks, and other noises that a Lexus should not have. They "chase" the rattles, and typically cause other problems.

At this point, I'm living with the rattles because I don't want my dash/door/B pillar torn into again, but I'm not happy about it. I have been in other Lexus vehicles before, including a 10 year old ES300, that had zero rattles. Cost cutting has resulted in the opposite for my IS350.
Old 07-07-08, 05:41 PM
stuynet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by myculito
Interesting question from someone as their first post.

What exactly is your concern?
For a Lexus, I expect top quality. So, I wanted to know if rattling/brake pad dust was a common problem.
Old 07-07-08, 06:32 PM
myculito
Lead Lap

For a Lexus, I expect top quality. So, I wanted to know if rattling/brake pad dust was a common problem.
Lexus is top quality. There is no issue there.

Bear in mind, this forum (just like any other car forum for that matter), is filled with posts from owners that are having a specific problem with their car. You see that on any board, and ClubLexus is no exception.

Keep in mind that the number of members with brake dust or rattle complaints is a small percentage of the ClubLexus ISX50 population. The ClubLexus ISX50 population is just a small portion when compared to the tens of thousands of ISX50 cars roaming the streets...ergo, the number of members that experience these issues is relatively small with respect to the entire ISX50 population out there.
Old 07-07-08, 06:45 PM
andyboy
Lead Lap

BMW's are horrible at brake dust as well....next time you drive by a BMW, look at their wheels. I always see them dirty dirty dirty
Old 07-07-08, 06:56 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

i've done the tsb for the brake dust and it sure as hell not worth it.. that brake like crap when your in a close call range for rear ending someone.. i switched them back and the brake dust actually isnt too bad as i remembered but it has been raining alot down here
Old 07-07-08, 07:59 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by M1sTa801
i've done the tsb for the brake dust and it sure as hell not worth it.. that brake like crap when your in a close call range for rear ending someone.. i switched them back and the brake dust actually isnt too bad as i remembered but it has been raining alot down here

For a single panic stop the brake pads have -nothing- to do with stopping distance.

It's physically impossible for them to have increased it.

As long as the pads can engage the ABS system the stopping distance for a panic stop between two different pads will be identical.

Another user on here actually measured 3 times with the old pads and 3 with the new and got identical stopping distances.

Now, the new pads will have a very different "feel" to their engagement, less grabby, which many like. But slam on the pedal and it'll stop in exactly the same distance as the dusty ones did.
Old 07-07-08, 08:04 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

(and just to source that a bit since many folks refuse to believe this and I'd like to avoid yet another 6 page argument over established engineering)-

http://www.brembo.com/ENG/HighPerformance-Brakes/FAQs/
Click on the one about stopping distances-

"Where can I find test data on stopping distances?

At the speeds that stopping distance is generally measured from (60 to 70mph), the test is primarily testing the tire's grip on the pavement. As delivered from the manufacturer, nearly all vehicles are able to engage the ABS or lock the wheels at these speeds. Therefore, an increase in braking power will do nothing to stop the vehicle in a shorter distance."

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...lections.shtml

"The brakes don't stop the vehicle - the tires do. The brakes slow the rotation of the wheels and tires. This means that braking distance measured on a single stop from a highway legal speed or higher is almost totally dependent upon the stopping ability of the tires in use"

Plus a fantastic article explaining braking systems in detail, including why pads don't change braking distance-

http://www.scirocco.org/faq/brakes/p...n/pfpage1.html

He gets to pads on page 3-
"Be sure to select one that remains relatively stable under the operating conditions you are expecting, but don't expect any shorter stopping distances, because the brake pads don't stop the car"

Using different pads CAN do the following-

Change the service life of some brake parts

Change the "feel" of the brakes as far as how the car responds to partial engagement of the brakes

Give the car higher resistance to fade after repeated high speed stops in a short period (relevant for racing- but even then it's not decreasing stopping distance, it's simply keeping it as long as it was for more stops in a short period)

And, of course, change the amount of brake dust on your wheels.

But they can't make you stop any shorter.

Quick Reply: IS 250/350 Brake Dust & Rattling