The cost of maintaing a Lexus IS250 or IS350

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-08, 06:51 PM
tsx_lex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The cost of maintaing a Lexus IS250 or IS350

Lexus Owners..

I'm about to make a purchase, the Lexus IS350.. However, I would like to know what is the cost of maintaining this car like. I have heard about replacing the tires after 12-15K miles, was wondering if that's true? If yes, does that mean that we have to replace them every 12-15K miles? What is the cost for the replacement? Also.. is there anything else similar that we need to do every few thousand miles.. How often do we need to update the navigation system? Sorry for asking too much, but I'm kind of desperate for information right now.

Thank you.
Old 07-03-08, 07:14 PM
Mister T
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tsx_lex

I have heard about replacing the tires after 12-15K miles, was wondering if that's true? If yes, does that mean that we have to replace them every 12-15K miles? What is the cost for the replacement? Also.. is there anything else similar that we need to do every few thousand miles..

Thank you.
It is true, the tires on the 18" wheels are high-performance and will need to be replace 12K-15K depending on driving styles.

When I purchased my 350 at Magnussen's in Fremont, CA, the finance guy disclosed this info about the tires to me and offered a package which they called "Express Tires for Life" partnered with Express Systems Inc. He said the tires cost $250-$275 each, while the package cost $1500 and I had do all my required maintainance there. They replace them when the tread depth reaches 3/32" or less due to normal wear. I'm at 13.5K.

I chose to go with this tire package as I do no plan to get rims anytime soon and will be keeping the car for a looong time. I don't know if this is offered all Lexus dealerships, but I would inquire about it locally.

Other than that, one reason I got a Lexus is because it's low maintainance. Just change the oil every 5K and couple other things every 15K and you're good. The manual has a detailed description of all required maintainance up to 150K.

1st 5K oil change is complementary. I haggled for a 2nd at 10K. Not looking forward to 15K, but I do get new tires. =)

Good luck.

Last edited by Mister T; 07-03-08 at 07:24 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-03-08, 08:56 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

there's nothing you really need to maintain.

every 5000 miles is an oil change and tire rotation ONLY if you have an AWD model.

15000 miles is the same except for the filters which should be replaced or cleaned depending on what filter you have. the filters include the in cabin filter and the engine filter. they're about $20 a piece. the in cabin filter is inside the glovebox. you just take everything out, lift the panel, push the filter and pull out. replace and pop it in. takes 10 minutes max. as for the engine filter, i've yet to look into that yet but from what i see. it's just opening up the air intake box and replacing it. again not difficult. that should be about it until you need to do a tune up which is generally the same for all cars anyway. tune ups are about the only thing u should let the dealer do unless you know how to do it yourself. all the other maitenance can be read here or in your manual.
Old 07-03-08, 09:37 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tsx_lex

I have heard about replacing the tires after 12-15K miles, was wondering if that's true? If yes, does that mean that we have to replace them every 12-15K miles?
I found the above somewhat funny...

tsx_lex, future_lex, sc hybrid, whatever your username is....

Why are you so bored and abusing the helpful intentions of the board members here? All the questions you ask, you've either asked or complained about, and are the main topics of discussion on this forum. Really... what is your point?
Old 07-03-08, 09:38 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 07-03-08, 09:41 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

it all depends on how car savy you are. If you are a diy-er you will save alot of money. If you let the stealership do it...it will cost you an arm and a leg sometimes for basic oil changes with "inspections".

The OEM tires will wear fast on you....its a 160 wear rating, very soft compound. I'd recommend at least a 300 wear rating on the change out if you are just doing normal street driving and don't care for the softer sticky tires.
Old 07-03-08, 09:43 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sirkfc
I found the above somewhat funny...

tsx_lex, future_lex, sc hybrid, whatever your username is....

Why are you so bored and abusing the helpful intentions of the board members here? All the questions you ask, you've either asked or complained about, and are the main topics of discussion on this forum. Really... what is your point?
Nah, if this user was sc hybrid we would hear about how good the G35 is already

Also this question gets asked a lot. a simple search and bumping an older thread would have made it easier to seek the answer.

but, tires last i think around 20K and other then that, it should only be oil changes
Old 07-03-08, 09:46 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

if you dont drive too aggressive....it will last more than 15K.....
Old 07-03-08, 11:04 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i thought this was going to be another tsx vs. 2is thread, but to my surprise... it's not!

i pushed mine to 27k, but my fronts and rears were as bald as drag slicks. thankfully there was no wet weather in socal during that stretch.

in hindsight i was ready for a new set by 20k. so if you drive as aggressive as i do, 20k is about right for the 18" tires on the is350.
Old 07-03-08, 11:11 PM
tsx_lex
Rookie

So if I do a mixture of daily-normal driving and some aggressive driving on the weekends, then I guess I can easily push them to around 18K or so. How much does it cost to replace the tires? If I plan to keep the car for a long time, are there any tires that you recommend which last for looong time? Otherwise, every 18K miles or so I'll have to spend some X amount of money. Thanks for your replies, they're very helpful and I plan to ask the dealer about the tires in detail!
Old 07-03-08, 11:16 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I think this goes for all new cars.. The tires doesnt last as long because they use less tread or something. Honestly dont ask me about tires but in the past 3 years my family has bought 3 new cars and none of their tires lasted more then 20K.
Old 07-03-08, 11:25 PM
tsx_lex
Rookie

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
I think this goes for all new cars.. The tires doesnt last as long because they use less tread or something. Honestly dont ask me about tires but in the past 3 years my family has bought 3 new cars and none of their tires lasted more then 20K.
On an average, I assume it'll cost around $1,500 per 18-20k miles to replace the Lexus IS tires?
Old 07-03-08, 11:25 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

1. don't ask dealership about tires. ask tire shops about tires.
2. you'll definitely get more than 18k out of your first set. as i said in my earlier post, i got 20k out of my first set (dunlop sport maxx's), and i went as far as 27k before getting a new set.
3. i got a set of staggered nitto invo's for ~$750. good bang for the buck tires. you won't spend past $1k, unless you get some super-ultra-high-speed tires...
Old 07-04-08, 12:10 AM
tsx_lex
Rookie

I guess performance tires in most cars to last around 20K miles, but If I can pay less than 1K for replacing them every 2 years or so, then it's fine. I plan to keep my IS for not more than 5-6 years, then will look into buying the next generation IS (if I like it).
Old 07-04-08, 12:13 AM
likwid8
Pole Position

If you plan to do get your car serviced at the dealership, it can get pretty pricey.

Quick Reply: The cost of maintaing a Lexus IS250 or IS350