Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Should i get black pearl emblems or paint them?

Old 07-03-08, 01:37 AM   #1
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)

Default Should i get black pearl emblems or paint them?

So i need cl help... should i buy black pearl emblems or have them painted?

is it just me or does the black pearl not look that black?

heres a pic of it
Click the image to open in full size.
http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par...id=90021&nbc=Y
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Attached Images

aftermartket: 15% back windshield and 20% llumar star hybrid / aerotect red outs/ joe z intake/pts joez exhaust race version.
i3urton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 05:27 AM   #2
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot
Trader Score: (14)

The factory/oem Black pearl is more of the smokey granite color (SGM) vs. black.

2006 IS350 -- Blue Onyx Pearl / Sterling; premium pkg SOLD

mikes rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 05:27 AM   #3
IS_NIICE
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (1)

i painted mine black...i like it better. not biased.
IS_NIICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 07:49 AM   #4
kloh7
Pole Position
Trader Score: (5)

Send a message via AIM to kloh7

Just curious, how do you take the emblems off to repaint or even to replace?
Thanks.
Sport Package, Navigation, 35% Tint, F-Sport Exhaust, F-Sport Lowering Springs, F-Sport Air Intake, Garax 6000K HIDs, Nokya Hyper Yellow Fogs, 19" Rays Eng, BFGoodrich KDW2, Aerotect RedOuts, Stoptech Slotted Rotors, PosiQuiet Brake Pads
kloh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 08:56 AM   #5
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (33)

from people I know that have purchased the OEM ones they don't seem to hold up. They get tarnished and the color isn't consistent with them.

If you like this look I would pay someone to paint them. Plus you get to chose the color you want then so you have more options
Old 07-03-08, 09:02 AM   #6
istundra
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (2)

I believe the main reason is that the black pearl emblems as advertised is not OEM- black pearl as we see on the 2GS. These are aftermarket. From my understanding, they use new chrome emblems and spray them with black pearl paint.. hence giving it the finish as black pearl.

aka: 4GSRFSE-GFM
istundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 09:51 AM   #7
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot
Trader Score: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloh7 View Post
Just curious, how do you take the emblems off to repaint or even to replace?
Thanks.
Just "saw" them off using dental floss, or pry them off using a plastic scraper. Then, use some 3m adhesive remover to get rid of the excess adhesive

Quote:
Originally Posted by passnu2 View Post
from people I know that have purchased the OEM ones they don't seem to hold up. They get tarnished and the color isn't consistent with them.
I've had mine for a year now, and (knock-wood) none of those issues have occurred. Also, I have a set on another Toyota with no issues either

Quote:
Originally Posted by istundra View Post
I believe the main reason is that the black pearl emblems as advertised is not OEM- black pearl as we see on the 2GS. These are aftermarket. From my understanding, they use new chrome emblems and spray them with black pearl paint.. hence giving it the finish as black pearl.
This is true if bought from certain vendors. I believe that Carson Toyota sells non-OEM emblems. I'm not sure whether Sewell's are OEM or not.

AFAIK, mine are OEM, based off how they compare to an OEM set on another Toyota, and the fact that they were bought from a Lexus dealership (Superstition Springs Lexus). However, I have no way of actually verifying it as 100% OEM.

2006 IS350 -- Blue Onyx Pearl / Sterling; premium pkg SOLD

Last edited by mikes rx; 07-03-08 at 09:54 AM..
mikes rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 02:59 PM   #8
meefer
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (7)

Since you have a black car, color matching emblems should be easy. As far as flashiness goes,, stock > black pearl > painted (unless you paint them yellow). I like the slight stealth the black pearl gives me.

For me the choice was clear - BSP is a ***** to match so i got black pearl. very happy with them.

Mod list: Momo, Fujita, V-Leds, BCR, ISF trunk spoiler, Varrstoen.
meefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 04:00 PM   #9
Mister T
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by i3urton View Post
So i need cl help... should i buy black pearl emblems or have them painted?

is it just me or does the black pearl not look that black?

I have SGM and got the black pearl emblems and love them! (especially with tinted windows)

The blackness of the emblems are dependent on the amount of reflecting light so they can look really dark under low lighting or they can look shiny chrome-like under direct sun light.

No paint can achive this chrome-like shine, which is why I think you should get the black pearl emblems.

Plus I think them not looking too black will have a nice subtle contrast on your obsidian.
Old 07-04-08, 03:04 AM   #10
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

any one with 212 paint with these emblems? Could you please post a pic. that would help me out alot.

aftermartket: 15% back windshield and 20% llumar star hybrid / aerotect red outs/ joe z intake/pts joez exhaust race version.
Old 07-04-08, 12:09 PM   #11
javyLSU
革新的な
Trader Score: (21)

javyLSU

I've done both. I bought the Sewell Black Pearl Emblems, but later wanted something darker. I've since painted my own emblems - in a color I call 'Pearl Black' - since I wanted a 'Black with Pearl' -type color on my emblems. You can't see it in the picture below, but there's a good amount of mica flake on my new emblems. Here's a comparison of all three:

Javier
Old 07-04-08, 02:30 PM   #12
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by javyLSU View Post
I've done both. I bought the Sewell Black Pearl Emblems, but later wanted something darker. I've since painted my own emblems - in a color I call 'Pearl Black' - since I wanted a 'Black with Pearl' -type color on my emblems. You can't see it in the picture below, but there's a good amount of mica flake on my new emblems. Here's a comparison of all three:

Javier
looks good that the color i wanted. Which type of paint did you use? i was thinking of useing tint spray.. so its a lil transparent but black at the same time...

Last edited by i3urton; 07-04-08 at 02:35 PM..
Old 07-04-08, 02:30 PM