RWD and AWD

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-08, 07:02 AM
m_shockers
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RWD and AWD

Hi guys,

I currently own a RWD in California, but is moving to the midwest and considering to get an AWD. First question, would an aftermarket wheels on the RWD fit on the AWD? Next, has there been any spring or coilover made for the AWD? Finally, how much is everyone getting recently for their new AWD with nav and premium package. Thank you so much guys. Appreciate it
Old 06-26-08, 07:08 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you dont need AWD....Trust me I live in the MidWest just get a set of snow tires and rims and the car will do fine. Then you have no worries of your rims fitting or that they dont make anything for the AWD.

I have a IS350 also Not once have I had an issue getting stuck or stopping. the first year I had picked up the car the end of November and went through winter on the performance tires and still got around!!

Mike
Old 06-26-08, 07:13 AM
IceZ
Pole Position

What part of the midwest? I think Mike is right in a bigger city you will be ok with the RWD. I wouldnt try that in the heart of Minnesota in Jan.
Old 06-26-08, 07:17 AM
Gaugster
Advanced

This is true, you don't 'need' AWD but people like myself 'want' it.

A good set of snow tire is a must however. The combination of AWD and snow tires is just awesome. Getting a second set of wheels is much more simple then changing cars. IMO you should still get the winter tires even if you get the AWD.

Regards,
Old 06-26-08, 07:18 AM
m_shockers
Driver

Thanks for the input guys, i am either transferring to michigan ann arbor or Indiana Bloomington for my college. I am still waiting for Michigan tomorrow Woohoo. Would an RWD really be fine because i do not want to get chains on mine? Kinda wanting to change the color of my car, so i thought getting an AWD is a good option. Thanks
Old 06-26-08, 07:22 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by m_shockers
Thanks for the input guys, i am either transferring to michigan ann arbor or Indiana Bloomington for my college. I am still waiting for Michigan tomorrow Woohoo. Would an RWD really be fine because i do not want to get chains on mine? Kinda wanting to change the color of my car, so i thought getting an AWD is a good option. Thanks
I lived in MI and I am in IL now...You can not use chains on the roads (MI, IL, IN) here and it doesn't get that bad You must be thinking of what they get up in the mountains. Trust me get a set of 17" rims with some Blizzaks and you are good to go If you feel more safe then get the AWD...I dont want to talk you out of something but IMO you really dont need it. There is only one member here local to us that has AWD on their IS....the rest of us have the IS350 or the ISF.
Old 06-26-08, 07:24 AM
IceZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by passnu2
I lived in MI and I am in IL now...You can not use chains on the roads (MI, IL, IN) here and it doesn't get that bad You must be thinking of what they get up in the mountains. Trust me get a set of 17" rims with some Blizzaks and you are good to go If you feel more safe then get the AWD...I dont want to talk you out of something but IMO you really dont need it. There is only one member here local to us that has AWD on their IS....the rest of us have the IS350 or the ISF.
cough...2 members cough....ole lady wouldnt let me get the RWD 350.
Old 06-26-08, 07:27 AM
m_shockers
Driver

Make me the third then. Lol. I'll consider both option, i am just wondering if getting a new set of wheels and winter tires, plus the shipping fee of my car from CA to the midwest would be the same as me buying a second hand AWD.
Old 06-26-08, 07:32 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IceZ
cough...2 members cough....ole lady wouldnt let me get the RWD 350.
okay so there is 2 now since the recent addition. But if you where the only one driving would it be AWD still?

and then there was 3 either way you can not go wrong! Just dont think that AWD is the savor to snow and bad weather!!!! I see TOO many SUV flipped and in accidents in the winter because they dominate the road with their AWD or 4x4 status.
Old 06-26-08, 07:40 AM
IceZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by passnu2
okay so there is 2 now since the recent addition. But if you where the only one driving would it be AWD still?

and then there was 3 either way you can not go wrong! Just dont think that AWD is the savor to snow and bad weather!!!! I see TOO many SUV flipped and in accidents in the winter because they dominate the road with their AWD or 4x4 status.
Nope it would have been a 350.

Ya AWD doesnt counter bad/stupid driving in the snow. I've seen plenty of SUV's in the ditch along randall road in the winter.
Old 06-26-08, 12:02 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Originally Posted by IceZ
Nope it would have been a 350.

Ya AWD doesnt counter bad/stupid driving in the snow. I've seen plenty of SUV's in the ditch along randall road in the winter.
Hahaha, that is too funny. It reminded me of the good ol' days when I was driving a RWD Thunderbird. I would see people with FWD and 4x4's in the ditch and wonder how the heck did they get there????????

Not to beat up Passnu2 too much but every other 2nd Gen IS I see on my daily commute (Elgin to Arlington Heights) is an AWD. I doubt they are on the forums but..... They are by far the most popular version used for daily drivers (Near Chicago) etc.... Other then car shows, I have seen two 350's and one RWD 250 on the streets. Plus one of my buddies in the city has a 350 too.

Last edited by Gaugster; 06-26-08 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-26-08, 12:11 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have yet to see a AWD is250 where i live
Old 06-26-08, 12:43 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I must drive like a tard cuz I fish tailed and spun out in my AWD in the snow doing like 10mph during a turn
Old 06-26-08, 12:59 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gaugster
Not to beat up Passnu2 too much but every other 2nd Gen IS I see on my daily commute (Elgin to Arlington Heights) is an AWD. I doubt they are on the forums but..... They are by far the most popular version used for daily drivers (Near Chicago) etc.... Other then car shows, I have seen two 350's and one RWD 250 on the streets. Plus one of my buddies in the city has a 350 too.
you are 100% correct but the thing is we live in a market where not many IS350, regardless of pkg, are allocated. We are flooded with the 250 AWD and the belief that the AWD will be the miracle when it snows I travel the state for work and I mainly see 250 rwd and an occasional awd...its rare I see a 350 anywhere. Even when I go to the gym there are about 5 different 250's and not one are AWD. Not to say they do not have other cars or a winter vehicle? I guess I just havent been at the right place and time to catch them. I do see a lot of the GS350 AWD and the RX all over the place.

when are you going to make it to a meet?? I wont be there this weekend but they have about 60+ cars going this saturday! check it out
Old 06-26-08, 01:27 PM
Scottina08
Lead Lap

all I see here in central KY are awd's. We dont even get that much snow....maybe a couple inches total a year. My local dealer doent even have a RWD....unless its a 350.

Quick Reply: RWD and AWD