IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sunroof not one-touch closing

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-08, 11:26 AM
mslatter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof not one-touch closing

Howdy. When my sun-... errr.... moonroof, is fully opened, and I push the dial to close it in "one touch" operation mode, it slides forward until it hits the skids that lower the front lip (or something) then it stops, reverses, and goes back to the being fully opened. Even trying to use the **** doesn't work, unless I first move it to the "nearly closed" setting, let it get that far successfully, then turn the **** to fully close it.

It's almost like it's hitting an obstruction, but I don't see why it would be so sensitive in one-touch and not in the next-to-last-position, or why when I jam my hand up there (prior to it getting to the next-to-last position) it doesn't reverse after hitting my hand.

That is, of course, that the sun, er, moonroof has the feature of stopping and reversing when it hits an obstruction. I've been afraid to find out for sure. I don't want to be the guy at the dealership, asking them to fix my moonroof, and having to sign the check with a big "X" because my writing hand is all mangled and bandaged.
Old 06-22-08, 11:43 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

it needs to be reset. i forgot how to do it exactly.. but the one touch feature needs to be reset like how we would reset the windows.

i am sure you can bring it to your local lexus dealer and they can reset it for you.. or they can even tell you when you call.
Old 06-22-08, 01:26 PM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

INITIALIZATION

1. INITIALIZING SLIDING ROOF DRIVE GEAR SUB-ASSEMBLY

After the sliding roof drive gear is replaced, the pulse sensor of the sliding roof drive gear needs to be initialized. If a initializing is not executed, the sliding roof cannot be tilted or controlled by turning the switch to position [2] to [8].

(a) Turn the engine switch on (IG).

(b) Keep the sliding roof switch in the fully closed position and the push switch pushed until the following operations from (1) to (3) are completed:

(1) The sliding roof moves to the tilt fully open position and remains for 1 second.

(2) Tilt down operation starts. After the roof is fully closed, it starts sliding to open.

(3) After the roof slides to the fully open operation, the operation stops and then the roof closes to the fully closed position.

Switch Position

Sliding Roof Position

Over stroke position

Slide fully open position (Comfort stop position)

Slide stop position [1]

Slide stop position [2]

Slide stop position [3]

Slide stop position [4]

Slide stop position [5]

Slide stop position [6]

Slide fully close position

Tilt fully open position

Auto fully closed, comfort stop position

(c) Check that the operation works normally with AUTO operation.

NOTICE:

* If voltage changes during initialization, the sliding roof ECU may not be initialized normally.
* Do not apply excessive loads to the vehicle during initialization by performing operations such as locking the doors or cranking the engine.
* Do not move the vehicle during initialization.
* Do not apply strong impacts to the vehicle during initialization by performing operations such as closing the doors forcefully.

2. RESET FAIL-SAFE FUNCTION

The following operation should be used when the sliding roof cannot be fully closed.

(a) If the jam protection function is operated repeatedly, the fail-safe function will not activate. To return to the normal condition, push the sliding roof switch assembly at position [11] for 10 seconds or more.

3. FORCED INITIALIZATION

(a) The following operation should be used if it is necessary to clear the learned position of the sliding roof.

The learned position of the sliding roof is stored in an EEPROM. Even after the cable has been disconnected from the negative (-) battery terminal, the position will remain stored in memory. In order to clear the position, perform the following steps.

(1) Turn the engine switch on (IG).

(2) Make sure that there is no foreign matter on the guide rails.

(3) Make sure that the guide rails are not deformed.

(4) Set the sliding roof switch to position 9 and confirm that the sliding roof does not reverse*1.

(5) After the sliding roof stops, to prevent the sliding roof from moving, quickly turn the sliding roof switch to position 1 and hold it there for 10 or more*2.

(6) Clearing the learned position of the sliding roof is complete when the sliding roof moves slightly to the opening direction.

(7) To confirm that the learned position has been cleared, make sure that auto operation does not start when the sliding roof switch is set to any position from 2 to 8.

(8) Start initialization of the sliding roof drive gear sub-assembly.

HINT:

* *1: If the sliding roof reverses due to jam protection operation, it can be moved to fully closed position by pressing and holding the sliding roof switch (11). Make sure to set the sliding roof to the fully closed position before proceeding to the next step.
* *2: If the sliding roof moves while rotating the sliding roof switch, restart the Forced Initialization Clearing procedure from the first step.
Old 06-22-08, 06:17 PM
mslatter
Driver School Candidate

Holy crap! I had no idea the moonroof was such a finely calibrated device.
Old 06-22-08, 07:55 PM
as3.0cl
Lead Lap

take the dial, turned it to the closed position if it is not already there.....

now if u turned the dial the sunroof will try and close and then reverse back so the sunroof is now open

pres and hold the dial in until the sunroof fully closes......

it's in the manual this same issue has happened to me and my dads GS.
Old 10-30-08, 09:54 AM
mushybreak
Driver

Same thing happened to me today and thanks to this thread I fixed it!
Old 04-18-10, 01:15 PM
Haveblu
Driver School Candidate

Greetings!
I have a dilemma with my 2007 IS350 regarding my sun(moon) roof. It will not close. After reading the above posts I am hoping there may be another solution other than buying another sliding roof drive gear assembly/motor. The scenario:
A few months ago my wife had opened the roof fully and the switch did not respond when attempting to close. I found no debris or obstruction in the track and took it to a local shop where they apparently removed the motor and reinstalled. After that, the roof operated normally until a few days ago. I am going to attempt to retry the removal and re-installation procedure in hopes that will resolve the problem. I also have an aftermarket sub installation that is running on a bridged amplifier set-up. I make note because in reading the above post I see there is a bit of a calibration that needs to happen (that I was unaware of) and that may disrupt that process due to the current required to power amplifier, and may even be a culprit in the malfunction(although I doubt it).
Could it be solved with a reset? Or will it be necessary for me to purchase a new motor? If the motor is indeed shot, does anybody know where I can purchase one online? or better yet,pick one up in the Phoenix area? Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.... Luckily I live in the desert where it doesn't rain.
Thanks for any help!
Old 05-22-13, 09:39 AM
Khano
Driver School Candidate

So I just picked up a 2008 and yesterday the closing started having problems. It stops at 90% then reopens. I tryed the hold the button in thing and that did work. Not sure if I'm doing it right. Any other advice would be great.
Old 05-24-13, 02:26 PM
Khano
Driver School Candidate

Update: I got it working, I just wasn't holding it down long enough.
Old 08-13-15, 02:17 PM
Smoothblue
Driver School Candidate

Default smoothblue

As far as, moon roof not operating in the one-touch mode. Some of the answers I saw didn't work. So I called Lexus and this is what they said, and it worked. With the roof closed, push and hold the close button. The roof will tilt open, tilt close, slide open and then slide close. After it does those moves, let go of the button. This will reset your one-touch mode.

Hope this helps someone, glad to be in the club.
Old 08-26-19, 11:57 AM
bviverette
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoothblue
As far as, moon roof not operating in the one-touch mode. Some of the answers I saw didn't work. So I called Lexus and this is what they said, and it worked. With the roof closed, push and hold the close button. The roof will tilt open, tilt close, slide open and then slide close. After it does those moves, let go of the button. This will reset your one-touch mode.

Hope this helps someone, glad to be in the club.
Thank you for the final, and the most usable, information given herein.