IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

$3000 to spend on my IS250! any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-08, 10:51 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with the is250 awd having good handling, you can improve upon that with some f-sport springs or tein's. you could also get the rear sway bar, the rear member brace and if you wait it out, they MIGHT release a set of shocks for the awd. however, performance wise, it WILL void your warranty. if you want to take the void warranty route, you can always remove the parts before going into the dealer, which then you're all set.

so suspension wise, browse the f-sport site. www.f-sport.com

rims you can get a set of TE37 for $2400 not including tires (brand new). you might be able to go cheaper but not by much. but make sure you get springs beforehand.

performance gain, any of the axle-back exhausts will give you about a 1% increase in horsepower which means its useless. joe-z's exhaust will give you a decent boost as well as his intake pipe. the f-sport intake will give you probably the same horsepower increase as joe-z's pipe. simple said, it's just a smoother pipe to decrease turbulance where the f-sport intake includes a new box with 2 seperate inlets for a more aggressive sound.

the mazzuri headers will definately give you the greatest increase in power among all parts. if you want, getting these headers along with the exhaust and intake can reward you with a relatively decent boost in power. again, you're past the snowbelt so this extra power increase isn't exactly necessary either. the lowered ride may or may not affect you in the snow depending on ride height and the amount of snow.

but if i were you, i'd go with this package:

F-sport lowering springs, rear member brace, rear sway, exhaust, intake. basically your car will sound more aggressive and handle significantly better. with the awd implementation, you'll have a superior handling car compared to the is250 and is350. this should cost you about $2200 i think with $800 left to spare. of course, the lowering springs will probably be the most difficult part to install so you'll need a friend to help you on this if you're not experienced. or spend the extra money on having a shop install the suspension parts. the intake and exhaust are easy so dont bother paying them for that. this process will maximize your car's handling abilities which is your cars strong points in the lineup.

if you have extra money, you can get a black vinyl layer on for your roof to give it that flush black look. or if you can install all the parts yourself or free through a friend, get a ground effects kit or CF hood if you 're into that look. that'll tally up to around $3000. maybe a bit more but i dont remember the prices exactly. remember to buy these parts through sewell lexus to save.

again i'll advise you on the snow. personally i live in MA with snow in the winter. so i'd get these parts. seeing i have friends to help me install, i can get it on for free. i have a black IS so i'd skip the CF hood and vinyl and go with the ground effects kit, intake, exhaust, and all suspension mods. of course with the springs and ground effects kit, you'll be screwed if the snow is thick. boston snow is quite high at times but i'm willing to take that risk. do whatever you want, its your money.
Old 06-21-08, 06:01 AM
SebsIS350
Driver

well i live in Kitchener Ontario.. about 100 km away from toronto.. and i got a 350 . I'd say get the shocks and springs.. that will dramatically help with handling.. The F-sport products are out in canada... but nobody has any damn idea when they are actually going to get any inventory...

Performance mod..like people say.. joez will be a big benefit.. i wanted to get the f-sport..but its so insanely expensive that it just doesn't make sence to get it.. Tanabe exhaust would also be nice if u wanted a little bit of rumble.. megan mid-pipes will add some ponies and free up weight.. especially with the tanabe.

I wouldn't be throwing on sway bars..and a chassis brace because all those add unwanted weight to your car... which lets face it weights WAY to much for the type of engine thats in their. Basically i'd focus on freeing up the weight thats already on the car.. then you will gain improvements.

Plus what do u mean toronto ontario wasn't an option when you joined?? lol
Old 06-22-08, 12:20 AM
Green Zach
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kuuqi
with the is250 awd having good handling, you can improve upon that with some f-sport springs or tein's. you could also get the rear sway bar, the rear member brace and if you wait it out, they MIGHT release a set of shocks for the awd. however, performance wise, it WILL void your warranty. if you want to take the void warranty route, you can always remove the parts before going into the dealer, which then you're all set.

so suspension wise, browse the f-sport site. www.f-sport.com

rims you can get a set of TE37 for $2400 not including tires (brand new). you might be able to go cheaper but not by much. but make sure you get springs beforehand.

performance gain, any of the axle-back exhausts will give you about a 1% increase in horsepower which means its useless. joe-z's exhaust will give you a decent boost as well as his intake pipe. the f-sport intake will give you probably the same horsepower increase as joe-z's pipe. simple said, it's just a smoother pipe to decrease turbulance where the f-sport intake includes a new box with 2 seperate inlets for a more aggressive sound.

the mazzuri headers will definately give you the greatest increase in power among all parts. if you want, getting these headers along with the exhaust and intake can reward you with a relatively decent boost in power. again, you're past the snowbelt so this extra power increase isn't exactly necessary either. the lowered ride may or may not affect you in the snow depending on ride height and the amount of snow.

but if i were you, i'd go with this package:

F-sport lowering springs, rear member brace, rear sway, exhaust, intake. basically your car will sound more aggressive and handle significantly better. with the awd implementation, you'll have a superior handling car compared to the is250 and is350. this should cost you about $2200 i think with $800 left to spare. of course, the lowering springs will probably be the most difficult part to install so you'll need a friend to help you on this if you're not experienced. or spend the extra money on having a shop install the suspension parts. the intake and exhaust are easy so dont bother paying them for that. this process will maximize your car's handling abilities which is your cars strong points in the lineup.

if you have extra money, you can get a black vinyl layer on for your roof to give it that flush black look. or if you can install all the parts yourself or free through a friend, get a ground effects kit or CF hood if you 're into that look. that'll tally up to around $3000. maybe a bit more but i dont remember the prices exactly. remember to buy these parts through sewell lexus to save.

again i'll advise you on the snow. personally i live in MA with snow in the winter. so i'd get these parts. seeing i have friends to help me install, i can get it on for free. i have a black IS so i'd skip the CF hood and vinyl and go with the ground effects kit, intake, exhaust, and all suspension mods. of course with the springs and ground effects kit, you'll be screwed if the snow is thick. boston snow is quite high at times but i'm willing to take that risk. do whatever you want, its your money.
you are an extremely helpful person. thank you i greatly appreciate your help and time taken to do so
Old 06-22-08, 02:42 PM
Timmy250
Driver School Candidate

megan mid-pipes will add some ponies and free up weight.. especially with the tanabe.
is this weight gain / added hp significant enough for the price it would cost for a 250 or should we just accept the 250 is all about show