IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealership cost to install Rear GPX Lip... $220

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-08, 02:59 PM
vietloc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership cost to install Rear GPX Lip... $220

They told me 2 hours of labor to install it which comes to about $220. To those of you who have installed the rear gfx lip on their own, do you think it's worth it to pay $220 for the dealership to install or is it easy enough to do on your own?

I don't mind the drilling, it's cutting the slits and the slab for the muffler that makes me worry about doing it on my own.
Old 06-19-08, 03:01 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

dang labor is almost more then the lip itself. I'd just install it yourself. It shouldn't take more then an hour.
Old 06-19-08, 03:03 PM
I250AWD916
Rookie

wow 220 I got quoted 450 from Sacramento Lexus...
Old 06-19-08, 03:10 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

amazing how prices for every service can differ so greatly dealership to dealership
Old 06-19-08, 03:10 PM
tonyc9928
Driver

dealerships and alot of mech shops charge Book time.
I worked for Ford as a tech for years. I could crush any book time listed but still got paid the same.
Book time also includes getting your tools out and cleaning them afterwards.
If you do it yourself. Use blue painters tape to cover everything. Remember, you can only remove material, not put it back. So measure 2 or 3 times and make sure you are steady with the cut.
You can do it.
Old 06-19-08, 03:41 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

for EVERYONE to read.. if you dont mind drilling then just do it yourself! theres NO NEED for cutting.. the rear lip snaps onto your rear bumper for a PERFECTLY FLUSH secure fitment... it took me half an hour to install and ive never done it before in my life..
Old 06-19-08, 03:53 PM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

M1sTa801, wow, it is good to know that we don't have to cut the bumper...
Old 06-19-08, 04:01 PM
Scottina08
Lead Lap

Lexus of Lexington KY charged me $129......I like the peace of mind that if its ever defective...they will fix it.
Old 06-19-08, 04:14 PM
andyboy
Lead Lap

DO IT YO SELF!!! Easy....if you have a dremel the cutting part is easy. The cutting doesn't have to be perfect, the rear lip will cover you cuts.
Old 06-19-08, 04:22 PM
ds111htown
Driver

I was concerned about installing it myself. The directions look very complicated with all the cutting and drilling holes. I was wondering how in the heck I am going to measure and cut everything perfectly. But if you look on the inside of your bumper it has all the marks there for you. And I just used a kitchen knife to cut out the exhaust portion. Save your money and install it yourself.
Old 06-19-08, 04:32 PM
nukis250
Driver School Candidate

do it yourself. Use that money for something else for your car!! it's not that hard believe me. Front and side is not hard at all. The back takes little longer. Follow instruction and you can do it.
Old 06-19-08, 04:53 PM
NOVAGFC350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by M1sTa801
for EVERYONE to read.. if you dont mind drilling then just do it yourself! theres NO NEED for cutting.. the rear lip snaps onto your rear bumper for a PERFECTLY FLUSH secure fitment... it took me half an hour to install and ive never done it before in my life..
Wow really! This is great if you could provide more info on how you did it cause I'm planning to install it myself posibbly this weekend. So, from what you are saying I'm assuming that these (marks in the below pictures) need to snap-off; a similar method most of us used when installing the front GFX.

Here are some pics of the inside of the rear lip

Left

What about these- 6 total 3 on each half

Right

Last edited by NOVAGFC350; 06-19-08 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-19-08, 06:10 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NOVAGFC350

What about these- 6 total 3 on each half

Right
you just put the 6 screws in there (slide them in). After you have drilled your bumper in the correct spots (it shows where on the instructions and there're markings behind the bumper area but if you cant see them wipe it down with a wet cloth or something)apply the rear lip onto the bumper into the holes that were drilled in the bumper and then use the washers along with the nuts and screw them tight.. also for the exhaust cutouts it may look like it wont fit but you gotta budge em in and they snap (pop, idk.) in. make sure you take off the 3m tap plastic covering stuff before applying the rear lip on the bumper. and for the first pic the black clips slide into those black thingys to fasten the side of the lip on. idk if this helps but yeah.. its REALLYYYY simple.. i'd save your money and do it yourself everybody... have someone to help you if necessary and just take your time

edit* you do NOT have to snap off those black tabs on the rear lip! that helps hold the lip on! and for the exhaust portion for the rear lip just use a razor blade and it will cut off straight and nicely if you do it right..

Last edited by Pnuge88; 06-19-08 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-19-08, 07:57 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

bring it to a reputable literate body shop... when asking for a qu0te, provide them a copy of the install manual.

i paid my body shop $100.00 to install mine... regarding the muffler tips.. that is DIY. all you need is a rubber mallet..... or a strong fist.=)
Old 06-19-08, 08:01 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by M1sTa801
make sure you take off the 3m tap plastic covering stuff before applying the rear lip on the bumper. and for the first pic the black clips slide into those black thingys to fasten the side of the lip on. idk if this helps but yeah.. its REALLYYYY simple.. i'd save your money and do it yourself everybody... have someone to help you if necessary and just take your time

edit* you do NOT have to snap off those black tabs on the rear lip! that helps hold the lip on! and for the exhaust portion for the rear lip just use a razor blade and it will cut off straight and nicely if you do it right..
everything sounds about right except what you see in bold. if you read the instructions or an experienced body man, will tell you that peeling off the adhesive is ALWAYS LAST after lining up your rear kit.

you do not want the kit to adhere to the bumper without having it lined up correctly.

Quick Reply: Dealership cost to install Rear GPX Lip... $220