IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need 12V for my remote turn on, where can i tap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-08, 08:40 PM
VTLexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need 12V for my remote turn on, where can i tap?

my amp won't work properly using the remote tap (pink wire farthest back in the car) b/c it is only 6.5V.

where are people grabbing 12V so that it also turns off with the stereo?
Old 06-16-08, 09:44 PM
D_W_E_85
Rookie

The remote wire is orange not pink. That might be why!
Old 06-17-08, 04:14 AM
VTLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by D_W_E_85
The remote wire is orange not pink. That might be why!
was it an orange wire on one of the wiring harnesses? and do you know if it was 12V?
Old 06-17-08, 05:09 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tap it from the fuse box under the passenger side dash. you'll see the fuse box when you look down there.
Old 06-17-08, 06:15 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Use the power outlet wire (i am sure its red) it turns on with the car and will give you enough power to turn the amp on. I read this on My.IS because the remote wire near the OEM amp does not give enough power for your aftermarket radio!

How did the rest go?? did those wires work out after all??
Old 06-17-08, 07:00 AM
VTLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by passnu2
Use the power outlet wire (i am sure its red) it turns on with the car and will give you enough power to turn the amp on. I read this on My.IS because the remote wire near the OEM amp does not give enough power for your aftermarket radio!

How did the rest go?? did those wires work out after all??
i ended up having a bad LOC (even tho it was brand new). i replaced that and forced 12v for the remote and everything worked. thanks so much for the suggestions along the way.

Where is the power outlet wire? i saw a red wire near the harness in the trunk but it was always on, even with the car off.
Old 06-17-08, 07:04 AM
VTLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by car_lost
tap it from the fuse box under the passenger side dash. you'll see the fuse box when you look down there.
i'm new at this and ive never tapped from a fuse box, are you saying tap a wire coming out of the fuse box?
Old 06-17-08, 07:14 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I would use the the power outlet in your armrest if it where me. its closer to where you need the wire and it should be a red wire. then you can run the wire under the carpet through the back seat to the amp! There are only 2 wires that will go to the power outlet. you can tap into the fuse panel als but its up in the very front by the hood release. anything in there that turns on and off with the car you can use. just put the wire in and push the fuse back in and it will force the wire in and you are good to go. you have options here just depends on what is easier for you to do.
Old 06-17-08, 07:16 AM
VTLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by passnu2
I would use the the power outlet in your armrest if it where me. its closer to where you need the wire and it should be a red wire. then you can run the wire under the carpet through the back seat to the amp! There are only 2 wires that will go to the power outlet. you can tap into the fuse panel als but its up in the very front by the hood release. anything in there that turns on and off with the car you can use. just put the wire in and push the fuse back in and it will force the wire in and you are good to go. you have options here just depends on what is easier for you to do.
how do i get to the wire on the power outlet under the arm rest? do i need to remove the armrest? again, i am not used to taking my car apart so i sorta need step by steps on this. thanks again!
Old 06-17-08, 08:00 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

lol...I hear ya. I havent removed the armrest in the car. Then what I would do is use the power outlet in front of the radio. If you push the cover back (slide it back) you can pop out what is like an ashtray with a tab. then there are I think 2 screws to remove it. the silver slots on the sides simply lift up easy and they slide towards you. look at the navi hack thread in the FAQ/DIY thread for the 2IS and you will see the removal of that part. you can tap into the wire there then run it back and under the carpet! then you are not messing with the fuse panel. It will be easy to do! I will try to help you as you do it okay!
Old 06-17-08, 08:01 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VTLexus
i'm new at this and ive never tapped from a fuse box, are you saying tap a wire coming out of the fuse box?
no, pull the fuse, strip the remote wire, shove it in there and put the fuse back in. its crude but it works 100%.
Old 06-17-08, 10:08 AM
VTLexus
Driver

no, pull the fuse, strip the remote wire, shove it in there and put the fuse back in. its crude but it works 100%.
do i run into any potential problems of creating a short on day and having my wire burn up?
Old 06-17-08, 10:18 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VTLexus
do i run into any potential problems of creating a short on day and having my wire burn up?
no, the fuse would pop before that ever happens. but the fuse shouldn't pop anyway.
Old 06-17-08, 10:23 AM
VTLexus
Driver

no, the fuse would pop before that ever happens. but the fuse shouldn't pop anyway.
awesome, thanks guy. and this will be much easier (should be at least) than tapping the wires by the amp. what gauge wire? 16 or 18 ok?
Old 06-17-08, 10:28 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

I don't remember what gauge the wire is. If I had to guess, I would say its 18.

Quick Reply: Need 12V for my remote turn on, where can i tap?