IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

no key fob/car can't be started help

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-08, 09:32 PM
dmaxx3500
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no key fob/car can't be started help

hello, im new here,so a little info,i just bought a 2007 is350 4 door,from a auto auction[theft recovery,1000 miles on it],it was loaded with a forklift,and the only key i got is the small metal key[i think the valet key that fits in the key fob],,i cant even start the car without the key fob,how do i go about getting the fob,can i buy it off ebay and reprogram it myself?,or do i need to get it to a lexus dealer and get it reprogrammed?,can i go to a toyota dealer[theres not a lexus dealer for 150 miles around were the car is],,any thoughts

thanks
Old 06-14-08, 09:37 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

you will have to get a new keyfob programmed to the car. tow it to a lexus.. possibly toyota.
Old 06-14-08, 10:06 PM
dmaxx3500
Driver School Candidate

thanks,from what im reading i just need the black plastic key fob?
Old 06-14-08, 10:25 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Plastic key fob is about $299... Plus Lexus may charge to program it.
Old 06-14-08, 10:26 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Google IS350 key fob. You can still start your car w/o the fob. Just hold that key (that fits into the fob) close to your push button. Put your foot on the brake, and if the green light comes on your push button...press it to start up the car. Your key (w/o the fob) can also unlock your doors (there's a hole underneath the door handle). I had to learn this the hard way today when my fob battery (after 6 months of owning my 08 IS250) died.

I hope this helps!
Old 06-14-08, 10:38 PM
solspeed
Driver

Originally Posted by Little E
Google IS350 key fob. You can still start your car w/o the fob. Just hold that key (that fits into the fob) close to your push button. Put your foot on the brake, and if the green light comes on your push button...press it to start up the car. Your key (w/o the fob) can also unlock your doors (there's a hole underneath the door handle). I had to learn this the hard way today when my fob battery (after 6 months of owning my 08 IS250) died.

I hope this helps!
It doesnt work on mines, i dont think it would tho.
Old 06-14-08, 10:52 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope this helps!
That's incorrect. The metal key is nothing but a metal key. It's only purpose is to unlock the door & trunk. IN order to start the vehicle you NEED the key fob. When there is no battery in the plastic key fob, you hold it near the start button to start the vehicle. The metal key that fits into the fob will not start the car. Since the RFID isn't built into the metal key.
Old 06-14-08, 10:56 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I hope this helps!
I think you need to hold the whole key fob close to the start button for this to work when your key fob battery dies...
Old 06-14-08, 11:22 PM
MCL1
Pole Position

just curious. how much did you buy the car for?

this is the first stolen is i've heard of.
Old 06-14-08, 11:30 PM
Namir
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by badboy513
just curious. how much did you buy the car for?

this is the first stolen is i've heard of.
You know i was thinking that too.. How would you purchase a push start car with no fob, unless they managed to lose both of them in the ship/sale process, which in itself is shady.

I assume you checked the VIN before you bought the car?
Old 06-15-08, 12:39 AM
jackblack7
Pole Position

Why would he need to check the VIN if he already knows it's stolen and he bought it at auction?
Old 06-15-08, 01:05 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cali2is
I think you need to hold the whole key fob close to the start button for this to work when your key fob battery dies...
ohhh...maybe that's why I got mine to start because I had my fob in my other hand when I had my key up against my button??? Makes sense now that you said that.
Old 06-15-08, 01:23 AM
IS-MIKE
Driver

If you don't have any key fobs I think they charge you more money to reset entire security system. The Lexus guy told me if I lost both fobs it would cost well over a thousand dollars to fix it. He said it required a new computer or something to be installed.
Old 06-15-08, 02:07 AM
lexusjunky
Rookie

you have to take it to the dealership. As long as you show them that you are the current owner of the car (registration, Title etc...) you can order a new programed key fob off the vin number. $499 in WA btw
Old 06-15-08, 05:05 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexusjunky
you have to take it to the dealership. As long as you show them that you are the current owner of the car (registration, Title etc...) you can order a new programed key fob off the vin number. $499 in WA btw
This is incorrect, also. The key fobs cannot be pre-programmed from Lexus because the fobs cannot be programmed at all. Only the computer in the car can be programmed. The fobs have a fixed code that cannot be changed. The computer in the car is programmed to receive the code from the fob. The key fobs are $243.00 MSRP but most dealers are charging around 260-300. The programming can run anywhere from $40.00 to $120.00 depending on the dealer. The car will *have* to be towed to a dealer because the computer is not *user* programmable.

Quick Reply: no key fob/car can't be started help