IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why is the Lexus dealer treating me like I'm dumb?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-08, 05:32 AM
Jsy622
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is the Lexus dealer treating me like I'm dumb?

I bought my car in for my first oil change with this car to a local Lexus dealer. First, I asked them not to adjust my tire pressure because I have nitrogen in the tires. He said okay, but of course the receipt says they put adjusted the air pressure. Next, I asked them to check my brakes for me while they do the oil change. After 1 hour 30 minutes to do an oil change, they tell me the brakes are perfect. I told them my brakes are squeaking, and he tells me that is very common for the brakes to squeak on the IS350's. Hmm..I really don't think it's normal for brakes to squeak esp. on a lexus. I used to have a S2000, and sorry to say but the Honda dealer didn't act like I was a dumbass and knew nothing about cars. However the Lexus dealer did have free drinks,snacks,etc. which is about the only upgrade from the Honda dealer.
Old 06-09-08, 05:35 AM
2k4CamkilA
Intermediate

Talk to the service manager. Thats all, your the customer and your always right.
Old 06-09-08, 05:59 AM
suorum
Pole Position

Just go for a quick complaint. Straight to the point and demanding what you want. If you talk to much and leave a door open for them to do what THEY think is better you are screwed. Sometimes being TOO nice it is worst thing you can do.
Old 06-09-08, 06:13 AM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a Is but at RX and they told me its normal for the breaks to squeak too.
Old 06-09-08, 06:14 AM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

my brakes squeak....
Old 06-09-08, 06:17 AM
Memout
Driver

mine squeak also
Old 06-09-08, 06:25 AM
SebsIS350
Driver

mine only squeak when its been raining and i slowly come to a stop... but after that stop they don't squeak again..
Old 06-09-08, 06:55 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

brakes squeek. you have a metallic object being clamped onto a solid iron disc. they're going to make noise from time to time. noise doesn't mean anything is wrong unless the pads themselves are worn to nothing. sometimes it helps to really hammer ont eh brakes a couple times to get rid of the squeek because a small metal partical could be dragging. brake pads are made up of a multi material compound including small metal particles, hence the term "semi metallic" .

also, the prinout on your repair order lists the normal things the tech does in his inspection during hte oil change. they may not have changed your air pressure if the advisor noted on the tech's copy not to. it just automatically printed out.
Old 06-09-08, 07:00 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jsy622
I bought my car in for my first oil change with this car to a local Lexus dealer. First, I asked them not to adjust my tire pressure because I have nitrogen in the tires. He said okay, but of course the receipt says they put adjusted the air pressure. Next, I asked them to check my brakes for me while they do the oil change. After 1 hour 30 minutes to do an oil change, they tell me the brakes are perfect. I told them my brakes are squeaking, and he tells me that is very common for the brakes to squeak on the IS350's. Hmm..I really don't think it's normal for brakes to squeak esp. on a lexus. I used to have a S2000, and sorry to say but the Honda dealer didn't act like I was a dumbass and knew nothing about cars. However the Lexus dealer did have free drinks,snacks,etc. which is about the only upgrade from the Honda dealer.
Your brakes squeak because the pads are glazed over. Do a set of panic brake stops from 60-10 and it should go away. If not, then get the TSIBed brake pads.
Old 06-09-08, 08:31 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the dealer added any amount of O2 (oxygen) to your N-7 (Nitrogen) filled tires, consider the transfer process having to be re-done. I doubt the dealer added Nitrogen unless you have the special valve caps indicating the tire fill composition. I would go back and have it replaced entirely.
Old 06-09-08, 08:37 AM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

It's normal yet annoying. My IS-F does the same thing. When at 5 mph or below and if slowly coming to a stop, I hear a loud pitched sound. As other people have stated, you have semi-metallic brake pads and it's normal to hear this sound. A long time ago I had a e46 3 series and it did the same thing. If you drive on the highway and make sure there is nobody else on there except you, you can do a hard brake. This may clear your problem.
Old 06-09-08, 10:15 AM
ds111htown
Driver

I as well have the same problem with the brakes. I have taken it in and they said that the rotars had a glaze on them. And they could take care of it for $280. But at another dealership they told me that I could have them cleaned but it could squeak again later on down the road. I am too confused on why this car does this. It is a bit embrassing.
Old 06-09-08, 10:56 AM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

is it normal for all IS250/350's brakes to squeak eventually? I'm really considering a 250/350 and squeaky brakes would probably totally turn me off from the IS...
Old 06-09-08, 11:21 AM
SebsIS350
Driver

all breaks squeak from time to time. I test drove the G35 and 335i, but those cars had squeaky breaks aswell.
Old 06-09-08, 11:39 AM
KpXMystic
Lead Lap

my squeaks are just HORRIBLE isnt there anyway to fix this? Makes my lexus look really cheap... I come to a stop on a red light and it SQQQQQQUEEEEEKS... then the car next to me stares at me like im driving some bootleg lexus.. -_-;; and my squeak is REALLY loud as well... very annoying

Quick Reply: Why is the Lexus dealer treating me like I'm dumb?