IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 Questions

Old 06-08-08, 08:20 PM
Zender
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 Questions

I just purchased an IS350 and have a bunch questions (some maybe dumb):

1) Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the stock exhaust tips on an IS350? I looked to see if there was any simple way but didn't notice anything, maybe they are welded on.

I would like to remove them so I can clean them up so putting them back on must be possible as well.

2) I have ML with Nav and use MP3s on CDs. Does it always show the track/disc number by default when pushing the track seek button (the top bar above the Nav)? I would prefer to see the actual file name or song name if possible. Any way to change it?

3) A coin holder would have been nice Anyway to modify the ashtray to be more useful?

4) Was going to purchase the OEM wing from sewell probably, does anyone know if this is just held on with double sided tape? Would prefer to not have to do any drilling.

5) Is it possible to override the no picture while moving for the DVD player? I know your going to say look at the Nav Hack thread and I have but I don't want to be able to do any of that other stuff, just the picture from the DVD so I am wondering if there is a 'simpler' method (maybe just 1 wire or something) to override JUST the in motion DVD functionality.

6) Has anyone tried the F-Sport lowering springs and if so how did it affect our ride. I currently have the sport package suspension and I am curious to know if it is a much harder ride or roughly the same.

7) Can't seem to get the damn Homelink to work with my garage opener... I don't have a rolling code garage door so you would think it would be straight forward. I have cleared all codes. Press button 1 and hold and then press my remote button keeping them both held down but it just constantly does the slow flashing. I will ask them at Lexus next time I go in but I think I am just missing something obvious.

8) Does the IS in Japan have a different body kit available than the GFX?

9) Anywhere to list the differences between the JDM IS and the North American IS? Curious because my 01 Prelude had some better stuff available on the Japanese model (better cup holders, nicer fogs, kits, etc)

That's it I guess for now
Old 06-09-08, 04:06 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will say that most of this is available in a search, but here are the answers that I know:

1) I believe that they can be pulled/twisted off. If you look at the install instructions for the rear GFX kit, they tell you how to take them off

2) No clue...I don't have nav

3) The US 08 models have a coin holder to the left of the steering wheel where the headlamp washers/rear sunshade buttons are located (if equipped). If you've seen a corolla with the coin holder, it's the same. You could probably just buy the holder at your local dealer for a few bucks, pop out the blank, and replace with the holder

4) Some people have taken out the bolts and just used 3M double sided tape to keep the spoiler on

5) Again, no clue since I don't have nav

6) There are many threads regarding the springs in the suspension section of the forum

7) Homelink has been the topic of many discussions, yet I've never had a problem programming mine, or any other toyota or other homelink system. Follow the owner's manual PRECISELY, and you should have no problems. Make sure you hit the learn button on the garage opener after programming the homelink button (although you said you don't have rolling code)

8 and 9 ) I don't know anything about the Japanese version, except that it's RHD.

Hope that helps, but the specifics are available by searching.
Old 06-09-08, 04:56 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

most of this is in the faq =/
Old 06-09-08, 05:14 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

when programming the homelink, make sure your garage opener (clicker) is directly next to it. like touching.
Old 06-09-08, 05:27 AM
SebsIS350
Driver

also don't just hold down the garage door opener. hold it for 2 seconds let go then push it again..and again.. I don't remember why but in canada we have something that the garage door opener stops sending a signal if you hold it down for longer then 2 seconds. I'm pretty sure its in your owners manual aswell.
Old 06-09-08, 07:19 PM
Zender
Rookie

Thanks for the replies, here is what I gather so far:

1) Haven't been able to find GFX install instructions yet...

2) Can't seem to find any info.

3) Pics would be sweet but I will run down to a dealer this weekend and see if I can check out what your talking about. I am assuming they are little push coin holders. Was hoping for a pocket or something. A new insert for the ashtray would have been awesome though.

4) Double sided tape possible and done by a couple people here.

5) That NAV hack thread is so long... sheesh I probably missed it but I didn't see it mentioned for JUST the picture feature an nothing else.

6) Mixed reviews, some say it is stiffer, some say it is same as stock. No one really mentions it compared to the sport suspension vs stock vs f-sport ride quality. Sport package springs are already a bit stiffer so I am still not sure if the F-Sport will be virtually the same or not.

7) Going to mess with it more tomorrow away from home. Hate the damn garage door going up an down, the neighbours must think I am an idiot that can't figure out how to get the damn garage door open properly.

8) Still no info.

9) Still no info.
Old 06-10-08, 05:17 PM
Zender
Rookie

Got the HomeLink working.

I was holding the remote back about 3 inches before... this time I put it so it was literally touching the button on the mirror and it picked it up right away.
Old 06-10-08, 08:28 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

1) just twist them, they will come off. to put them back just do the same.
5) check this out.......
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=317919
8) no[pe is the same, here is the link to other bodykits:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=301173

9) this what IS JDM has that we dont
1-30 GB HDD Navigation
2-Side marker lights
3-Automatic Folding mirrors
4-TV turner in the navi
5-Remote star OEM
6-Rear fog lights
Old 06-10-08, 10:03 PM
Zender
Rookie

Thanks for the info.

I read through that entire nav thread and they mentioned a DVD in motion only hack but never really said how to do it. Like all threads they just talk about how to get everything to work. I want to get JUST the DVD to work and was hoping there was a simpler solution than the nav hack like overriding the parking break or something.

Search continues for #5.