IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

About to install HID Fog and paint calipers

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-08, 08:59 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to install HID Fog and paint calipers

I have a couple questions. I am about to install my HID fog 3000k fog lights tomorrow that I bought. It is brand: xentec. It comes with ballast, bulb, connector but it doesn't include the connector to the battery. I will be following the installation on passnu DIY.

1. Just wondering, where do I mount the ballast to? How do I zip tie the ballast inside the fender liner? How do I connect the connector from the fog light ballast to the car?

2. Also, I will be painting my calipers black with white stickers already purchased but wondering is it OK to paint the circle thing as you see in the picture below:

3. Since my car is only 1 month old. Do i really need a wire brush to clean my brakes? I have brake cleaner that came with my kit though.

4. How do I install the rear caliper sticker? The rear brake caliper look so small.. where do I place it at?

5. Will I need to leave my car on jack stands over night for the paint to fully dry (which some people say it needs) or can I just wait couple hours?

Thanks
Old 06-04-08, 09:39 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

what kit did u use??
Old 06-04-08, 09:50 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ok since i recently did my brake calipers and its fresh in my mind let me give you some tips:

MOST IMPORTANT: its all in the preparation. you need 2 cans of brake cleaner, one bought/one from the kit, save the kit one for the rear brakes since the one you bought is most likely in a bigger can, spray the cleaner and brush with a wire brush (i used a brass type) and clean it good, spray again to rinse off the excess and let it dry, then use a damp towel to wipe the brakes AGAIN, you'll see how dirty it is even after using brake cleaner/brush. let it dry.

Masking, do a good job here (is all i can say)

Painting: DO NOT use the brush with the kit, go to a hobby store and buy a REAL camel hair brush with a flat bottom, shake the can well before you open it, for your first coat go lightly DO NOT layer it on, even thou it not 'covered' its just the first coat, let it dry for a hr or 2, then go with the 2nd coat and do a good job, let it dry 2-3hrs, put the rims back on carefully and let the car sit for a full 24hr day before you go driving around.

you can apply the sticker before you put the rims back on, the paint should be dry. as for rear brakes sticker... hahah forget it, theres no place to put it

OH YEA, you CAN paint your hub if you want, i didnt... but i might for the NEXT show so at least something will be different

Last edited by llamaboiz; 06-04-08 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-04-08, 11:52 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't use the brush given either. I used my little cousin's paint brush..HAHA

Are you installing the HID fogs by yourself?
Old 06-05-08, 08:21 AM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

4. How do I install the rear caliper sticker? The rear brake caliper look so small.. where do I place it at?

Old 06-05-08, 08:38 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by smokyis350
I have a couple questions. I am about to install my HID fog 3000k fog lights tomorrow that I bought. It is brand: xentec. It comes with ballast, bulb, connector but it doesn't include the connector to the battery. I will be following the installation on passnu DIY.

1. Just wondering, where do I mount the ballast to? How do I zip tie the ballast inside the fender liner? How do I connect the connector from the fog light ballast to the car?

Just zip tie it around the white case for the Fog Light. Look at the DIY install I posted that you are following. They stay just fine and its got a flat surface on one side. I used a few zip ties together as they are not long enough to wrap around. You can purchase longer ones if you want. PM me if you want more help

2. Also, I will be painting my calipers black with white stickers already purchased but wondering is it OK to paint the circle thing as you see in the picture below:

I did not paint this on my car but I do not see why you cant so long you dont get it on the rotors. Many aftermarket rotors come this way! I think it will look much better...

3. Since my car is only 1 month old. Do i really need a wire brush to clean my brakes? I have brake cleaner that came with my kit though.

Mine is close to 2 years old and I did not. The can of brake cleaner that was in my kit was enough for both my cars and I still have 1/2 can of paint left if not more. I found getting a 1" brush from the hardware store was easier to apply the paint then the lousy brush they gave!

when you have the rim off and you are applying it you will see! easier to tell when you have it all in front of you. You don't have to use the rear if you don't like them. just place it before you remove to stick it on to eye where it needs to go!

5. Will I need to leave my car on jack stands over night for the paint to fully dry (which some people say it needs) or can I just wait couple hours?

I put my rims back on the car about an hour after. The rims will clear your BBK so just take your time putting them back on so you dont bump them. It dries pretty quick IMO.

Thanks
Hope that helps you out! Have fun!

here are my pics if it helps...

Old 06-05-08, 01:05 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As Mike posted above, the 350 has larger nicer calipers that are non porous on the outside that aid in the sticker application. It is amazing how a simple mod makes the car look so much better IMO. The sticker set really makes the calipers stand out as well.
Old 06-05-08, 01:38 PM
gizbx4
Pole Position

does the black stay clean? or does it look crappy a short time after a wash? im debating on which color i want to do them, black or SGM.
Old 06-05-08, 01:49 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gizbx4
does the black stay clean? or does it look crappy a short time after a wash? im debating on which color i want to do them, black or SGM.
The duplicolor kits really hold up well and do not fade. You can always do some touch-up work because there is plenty of paint.
Old 06-05-08, 02:55 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you dont have the wire going to the battery, that means you dont have it in that kit.
Old 06-05-08, 03:27 PM
NOVAGFC350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Brian231
The duplicolor kits really hold up well and do not fade. You can always do some touch-up work because there is plenty of paint.
Looks good, didnt mean to hijack your post- I apologized. Where can i get this kit online? Also, where did you guys get the Lexus stickers for the brake calipers?
Old 06-05-08, 03:37 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

The kit you can get online or at your local auto store. Its called Duplicolor.

read this thread and you will see the ones I have and also another style from another member. You have choices. Just read threw the 4 or 5 pages and the info is in the thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...liper+stickers
Old 06-06-08, 01:32 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Ok got a few question. I painted my caliper last night. It seem like the 08 is350 is dark grey so i painted it black it didnt seem to be a dramatic difference. I only painted it 1 layer for now and i pop on my wheels because i have no time. But the first layer seems pretty nice. Looks good. Not sure if i need second coat.

Also, i tried taking out the fender liner. It seems like it has 2 flat head clip. I cant get it out because i dont want to break it. My last car stupid clips cost 10 each. But anyone know how to take it out? Thanks
Old 06-06-08, 01:45 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Ok got a few question. I painted my caliper last night. It seem like the 08 is350 is dark grey so i painted it black it didnt seem to be a dramatic difference. I only painted it 1 layer for now and i pop on my wheels because i have no time. But the first layer seems pretty nice. Looks good. Not sure if i need second coat.

Also, i tried taking out the fender liner. It seems like it has 2 flat head clip. I cant get it out because i dont want to break it. My last car stupid clips cost 10 each. But anyone know how to take it out? Thanks
yes there is 2 and they just turn half way then pop out. you have to pull them all the way out then you can pop the fender liner out. I was surprised mine did not break. I am not sure if we had pics but you can check the DIY Fog install i posted to see if there are pics of it?? I cant recall if that was in there.
Old 06-06-08, 05:50 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need help? I can come by if you want. Pm me

Quick Reply: About to install HID Fog and paint calipers