IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HELP!!! Painting Clear LED Tail Lights Turned Out Purple ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-08, 02:12 PM
gizbx4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Painting Clear LED Tail Lights Turned Out Purple ???

After trying to black out my OEM tail lights using vynal then getting them painted i decided to get the aftermarket clear LED lights because they never came out how i wanted them to. i figured the LEDs would be brighter than the stocks and shine through better if i made them really dark.

after searching for a place to get the LED tails painted i found a high end shop that had bentlies BMW and Mecedes, all hooked up with custom rims ect. i figured they would be my best bet so i gave them my tails.

when i went to go pick them up today everything looked pretty good, looked to be as dark as i wanted (pretty much black) ... untill i brought them outside to see how they looked in the sun.... and they looked like a dark grape PURPLE!!! i immediately told the guy that it was unacceptable and told him i would never put somethin like that on my car. he said since there is chrome behind the clear lenses of the lights it makes the light reflect back through. i told him to put some more coats and try to get it to be black but he said he doesnt know how its going to come out if he makes it any darker.

The owner said they used the same paint they do all of the other lights with, and hes basically trying to tell me it has nothing to do with him, its just the aftermarket lights.

WHAT SHOULD I DO???

could it be hes just using the wrong paint?? does anyone have any experience trying to get clear lens tail lights painted?
Old 05-28-08, 03:11 PM
weesped
Lexus Champion

hummm...chrome seems like a lame excuse. mine ARE black and my body shop got it right the first time...
granted i smoked the stock lights, so idk. if the lights show real bright now, i'd go with more black layers. but thats just me
Old 05-28-08, 03:27 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just cruious, do you have some pics?
Old 05-28-08, 03:58 PM
gizbx4
Pole Position

i dont have any pictures becuase i left them at the shop for them to give it a few more layers.
Old 05-28-08, 05:03 PM
nirav325
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gizbx4.. i hope this gets resolved man ... sounds like a problem by the shop... sometimes the high end shops dont have the best product/service for something like this because theyre more interested in the guy with a bentley who they can make 10,000$ off .... thats just my opinion of stores like that in Dallas...

did they use the nite shades paint ???

also maybe they shudve tried painting it red (like stock) then black ontop? that might have helped..?? just a suggestion...

plz post pix after its done...!!