IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Accident :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-08, 10:53 AM
MIA IS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear man, hope you are ok and please go to the doctor, these things sometimes creep up, pains that is, a couple days later. be thankfull you could walk away and the lady is ok too.

by the way i think i have to agree your car is probably totaled.
Old 05-25-08, 11:57 AM
Jay1977
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Everyone for the comments!
I just got off the phone with my insurance company once again and got my rental car (Toyata Prius) and will go to the doctors right now to make sure everything is OK.

I hope that all turns out great. I had a quick question for everyone.

If my estimator (who is going to check my car on tuesday due to the memorial day holiday) calls it "total loss", then what happens from thereon?
Will the insurance company cut a check for the current amount? and then I pay off what I owe to Lexus Financial (I now owe about $14K i think)

Also, will I be able to go back to the towed yard to get my belongings? I left a few stuff on my car... Called the towing center and said to call back on Tuesday The thing is my insurance company told me to call the yard to tell them to release to the insurance company when they call so that they can take it to whatever place to get it estimated i think. This is my first MAJOR accident and not sure what the process are....

The thing is my AVN5500 , my Amp, my Sub, my backup camera all seem to be OK and not sure if my insurance company will include them on the value of my vehicle if he calls it Total Loss... If not, I want to take them off since I can use them again..........

Anyways, im on my way to the hospital and again, thanks everyone! especially Javier, thanks for looking out for CL members, you are truly a great moderator!
Old 05-25-08, 01:00 PM
burton159
Driver

ouch !!! glad ur ok man... thats what matters ... tho your car loooks totalled pretty much 1/2 of the car is messed !!
Old 05-25-08, 01:06 PM
jasonviper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jay1977
I just got off the phone with my insurance company once again and got my rental car (Toyata Prius) and will go to the doctors right now to make sure everything is OK.

If my estimator (who is going to check my car on tuesday due to the memorial day holiday) calls it "total loss", then what happens from thereon?
Will the insurance company cut a check for the current amount? and then I pay off what I owe to Lexus Financial (I now owe about $14K i think)

Also, will I be able to go back to the towed yard to get my belongings? I left a few stuff on my car... Called the towing center and said to call back on Tuesday The thing is my insurance company told me to call the yard to tell them to release to the insurance company when they call so that they can take it to whatever place to get it estimated i think. This is my first MAJOR accident and not sure what the process are....

The thing is my AVN5500 , my Amp, my Sub, my backup camera all seem to be OK and not sure if my insurance company will include them on the value of my vehicle if he calls it Total Loss... If not, I want to take them off since I can use them again..........

Anyways, im on my way to the hospital and again, thanks everyone! especially Javier, thanks for looking out for CL members, you are truly a great moderator!
Hey Jay,
The good thing about LFS is that they offer free Gap insurance so dont worry about having to pay it off if the insurance company shorts you than Lexus financial Gap insurance will take care of the rest! and yes mention the upgrades on the car! depending on your policy they might just add the value to your car. And you could actually ask the adjuster to get somethings out the car for you if you want.
Old 05-25-08, 01:15 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Car looks totalled - that's at least $20k worth of damage. Just the airbags are probably at least $2-3k, and I'd be surprised if your frame didn't get bent at all in a crash that severe. You're very lucky that you didn't get injured!

This is just me being paranoid, but I would edit the sentence in your original post related to passing through yellow lights "as usual". I know what you mean, but you don't want anything in writing floating around that can give you ANY shared liability on this thing, particularly with a pedestrian being involved. That lady's attorney might just sue everyone and see what the settlements look like.

Best of luck.
Old 05-25-08, 01:15 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm glad that you were not seriously hurt. From the damage to your car that must have been one hell of an impact! I'm just wondering if the Pathfinder driver was drunk, or if it was a stolen vehicle? Not that it really matters. What matters is you're alive, and that IS might have very well saved your life!
Old 05-25-08, 02:42 PM
GSlider
Rookie

WOW! Can you say T-O-T-A-L-L-E-D-!
Old 05-25-08, 03:43 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

chalk another incident up for anaheim. that place is less and less safe to drive. /OT

sorry to hear about your accident. i've been lucky enough to avoid any major accidents passing through anaheim (though cops are another story). /OT again...

but looking at the amount of damage caused to your vehicle, i'll just throw out a ball-park figure of $20k...
Old 05-25-08, 05:22 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay1977

First and foremost, I'm glad to hear that you are (in general) o.k.

Second, judging from the looks of the accident, it does seem that the car will be totalled. Therefore, the insurance company (yours or the truck's) will pay for the value of the car, and gap insurance will take care of the deficit if you owe more than its worth, which still sucks because it doesn't cover all the fees you've paid for, and the quick depreciation of the car.

Third, make sure that all medical expenses covers you for not just immediate treatment, but continuous long-term treatment. You don't want something small to grow into something big out of your injuries, so don't be so hasty signing the dotted line for medical benefits.

Fourth, when you get your belongings out of the towing center, make sure you take extra pictures of pertinent items such as the odometer reading, tire wear, airbags deployed, interior damages, aftermarket products, etc. This may help later on, if they find the individuals that hit you. Your proof will help your case against them.

Finally, keep us informed with your progress, in both your healthy recovery and (perhaps) your search for a new vehicle. Most members will benefit from the education of how to deal with such a situation if such an event occurs.

Good luck and stay safe.
Old 05-25-08, 08:05 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

glad that you are ok!

When you get a chance, could you take some pics in the rear passenger side where the car was T-boned? I am curious to see the structure of the insides

thanks
Old 05-25-08, 09:32 PM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

OUCH... and I thought mine was bad .. mine was 16k in damages.. so im gonna say atleast 20+ for yours cuz my airbags didnt even deploy.. just got the rear smacked up real bad!
Old 05-27-08, 09:59 PM
Jay1977
Pole Position

Default Update on my status

Well, the insurance company called me today to confirm that the car is totalled estimated damages were $22K +
I asked about the aftermarket parts such as my Eclipse Navigation, Eclipse backup Camera and HIT Kit and they will add these items onto the final value and will get back to me with the final value of the vehicle. I have an appointment with an attorney tomorrow coz most of my frends suggested that I speak with a lawyer so I decide to get a consultation.

Someone has asked me to take the picture of the inside, well here it is. Went to the Tow yard today to pick up some of my belongings.
To my surpise, the inside looks clean, seems like no damage at all.

* I was able to take the all weather mattress. They are 4 pieces that I bought from a delaership in Phoenix ealier this year. If anyone is interested, I will sell it to ya! LOCAL PICK UP ONLY
Attached Thumbnails Accident :(-080527-0005.jpg  
Old 05-27-08, 10:00 PM
Jay1977
Pole Position

another daytime pic
Attached Thumbnails Accident :(-080527-0001.jpg  
Old 05-27-08, 10:02 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

look, your windows have blinds!

So what car are you getting next?
Old 05-27-08, 10:06 PM
Jay1977
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iKenn
look, your windows have blinds!

So what car are you getting next?
LOL Well, I am debating on what car to buy.

G37 Coupe, BMW 328i Coupe, IS350(?)

I mean, I love the IS but not too sure about driving the same car after that horrifying accident... Well, first off, I need to find out how much and how long it takes for them to sent the funds, etc. I am still newb to all these processes....

I will keep everyone posted again~

Quick Reply: Accident :(