IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tinting the front windshield...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-08, 12:23 AM
Extreme437
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it. Those who bash it most likely do not have personal experience with it. I have 5% on all my windows and 50% on my front windshield and I can see everything perfectly fine and normal looking from the inside out. Looking from the outside in, you cant see anything. Its ultimate privacy and it looks great. Ive had it on since last December and have not once had any trouble with cops what-so-ever. Do it, just be cautious when driving at night and in the rain for the first time. Your eyes will adjust to it...if they even notice it.
Old 05-17-08, 01:17 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're going to do it, please just get 50%. My car has a tint strip on top and it helps out a lot but of course, it lets in all the uv rays and the interior gets very hot since i live in AZ.

on the other hand, my gf's 05 Rav 4 has 35% all around and a 50% tint up front and it feels much more bearable when getting into her car after it's been sitting outside in the sun all day. at night, visibility is hindered a little but it really cuts down on any possible glare from other headlights. since her car is outfitted with HID 4300k bulbs, visibility is still ok.

but... as one CL member already pointed out, the tinted windshield exposes you to a tremendous amount of liability and if you ever get into an accident, I can guarantee suspicion will be raised and fingers will be pointed at your tinted windshield as a cause of the accident. the other party will look at ANY reason why you failed to avoid the accident or somehow caused the accident.

Sucks, I know.

c.
Old 05-17-08, 05:49 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 15951
Be careful with that kind of advice. I'm very familiar with Coral Springs where there are TONS of kids, and if you ever hit one due to poor visibility from your "bad ***" windshield tint, god help you. Not worth the risk.

I hope you don't live in my neighborhood.
Hey! I live in Coral Springs, too. Yes, lots of kids.
Old 05-20-08, 05:33 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd stick w/ 50%. I have a long history of crazy dark tint and that would be my recomendation unless you REALLY want it dark then go w/ 35% but if you are not used to it, be prepared. Cop issues and overall lowered visability are the trade offs. If you ever get into an accident you liability goes through the roof and the attorneys will have a hay-day. Plus....its not a matter of if; but a matter of when you will get a ticket for it. Keep it on long enough and some cop will have nothing better to do and have a reason to pull you over. Trust me on this.

I used to have (call me crazy) double 5% all around and 20% on the windshield on my SC400. Way dark and I loved it. But not practical at all. I had it 10 years and only one ticket; fortunately. It was nearly impossible at night and/or in the rain. My previous cars all had 5% + 20% (I'm a big fan of the double tint if you haven't noticed) and 35% on the windshield. The perfect combo for people to not be able to look in if they cup their hands and look into the car - which was my goal. It took me a few years to master that combo; FWIW.

After 20 years of dark tint, I have grown to like the 5% all around and my debate is the same as yours - 35% or 50% for the winshield. Some people think this is still dark, but they haven't lived in Florida where the sun will fry your interior (I'm sure so Cal is the same way, and also Texas) and blind you at sunset/sunrise.

I tried 50% on the windshield once (about 15 years ago), but yanked it and replaced it for 35% since it was not dark enough. Thats why I would recommend 50% for the conservative crowd. It keeps the heat out considerably compared to no tint and is almost un-noticable. Great vision through it. The 35% will bring visability issues - so be forwarned. Its all a trade off and ultimately what you want; not what we say. Be careful and be safe and be prepared for the tickets - they will come.
Old 05-20-08, 05:50 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Wow, I'm surprised this has sparked such heated debate. I know so many guys with tinted windsheilds its like a normal thing.

I had 35% on my GS400 windshield and I was nervous when I got it, but it was great. I found that my visibility improved day and night because it reduced so much glare, and vehicles high beams. I never had a issue with it , I really think its a mental thing because I forgot I even had it after a while.

My 7series had the same thing, 35% n all windows, never a issue.

Between both of those cars I got 2 tickets over the course of about 3years.

Also both of those cars had beige interior so from the outside they didn't look too dark.

I have 50% now because this car has a black interior and really small windows, so 35% wasn't necessary, IMO
Old 05-20-08, 06:28 PM
gizbx4
Pole Position

i had 35 on my windshield and 20 all around when i first got my is... due to getting pulled over for it 3 times, and getting a ticket one of the times, i decided to take it off.. after takeing it off i realized how much better i could see at night, especially in the rain. tinting the windshield definitly looks great, and ofcoarce the darker the cooler it looks, but i really agree its dangerous. if i were to do it again, which im considering, i would go with 50% .. 35 is definitly too dark...
Old 05-20-08, 11:20 PM
Ace00
Rookie

Again, it falls back on the person and their ability or inability to see traffic and pedestrian clearly.

Bottom line, if you have any doubt about the tint you have, its to dark for you. Not i or cops, CL members can tell you what is a good percentage, only you can determine that.
Old 05-21-08, 12:49 AM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

do it...i have 5 percent everywhere on my black IS and 35% on the windshield and its the best decision i ever made. Everytime i come up to it, i think its the sexiest car in the whole world.

As long as you have HID's, you'll be completely fine no issues at all

Now as for the cops, i dunno about all that ha
Old 05-21-08, 05:26 AM
DailyDrive
Pole Position

i have the same thing as "bygtimaish" 35% on windshield and 5% all around except for my IS is white
Old 05-22-08, 02:17 AM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DailyDrive
i have the same thing as "bygtimaish" 35% on windshield and 5% all around except for my IS is white
i bet that looks so sick in white
Old 05-22-08, 04:48 AM
2k4CamkilA
Intermediate

Lets Not Get Started On New York Window Tint Laws!
Old 03-03-13, 06:31 PM
BrousBrous
Driver School Candidate

Im not going to lie, my brother has a 2008 denali with 5% on all the windows and 35% on the entire windshield. It looks absolutely sick, but its also a show truck. Everytime we ride in it at night its a mother to see out of, and like everyone else said it dangerous, blah blah blah, im on your side with darker tint looks sick. Having said that, i have an 08 lexus with 5% on the back 20% on the front, and 50% on the windshield. It doesnt look like i spraypainted my windows black but it is definitely dark enough. I'll post a pic and show you.
Old 03-03-13, 06:39 PM
MzKaylee
Driver

i got my tinted past thrusday i got 35% around my car expect i put visor 6 inches for front not whole thing because i asked one of guys. They said its illegal in all state.
Old 03-03-13, 07:26 PM
c-low
Lexus Test Driver

i had 35% on my 07 IS 250 but along with it i had 5000k hid with 55 watt ballast from ddmtuning. went together perfect!
Old 03-03-13, 07:47 PM
Jman8108
Rookie

45% on my windshield and I love it. Cuts glare down at night and gives the car an evenly smoked look.

Quick Reply: Tinting the front windshield...