IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

About to pull the trigger.....Good Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-08, 10:39 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno what to tell you? As for me, I don't think I could ever lease a car. Yes I maintain very low mileage, but I feel it's a waste of money (I like to keep my vehicles for at least 6 years despite the 2005 350Z piece of crap I use to drive). Plus I wouldn't ever feel right knowing it's not actually "my own car" to do what I want to it.
Old 05-15-08, 10:14 PM
begone
Rookie

I'm honestly not trying to be a ***** - but are some of you saying that Leasing is NOT the way to go to rationalize your decision to buy? I don't know what many of your monthly payments are, or what you put down, but from a Monthly Cash Flow standpoint - Leasing is definatley the way to go. IMO, "Equity" in a car is almost an Oxymoron.
Old 05-16-08, 12:29 PM
begone
Rookie

Alright, I think we are getting a Pretty Good Deal - even better than before!

3 years, $0 Down / first months payment and registration, 15k Miles - IS350 Premium Package w/ Chome and Spoiler for....$619 per month!!!!!

I think that's pretty good - what do you think?
Old 05-16-08, 12:57 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by begone
I'm honestly not trying to be a ***** - but are some of you saying that Leasing is NOT the way to go to rationalize your decision to buy? I don't know what many of your monthly payments are, or what you put down, but from a Monthly Cash Flow standpoint - Leasing is definatley the way to go. IMO, "Equity" in a car is almost an Oxymoron.
The Lease / Buy argument is one that can never be won. Long term, on a monthly cash flow basis, leasing is more expensive because the monthly payments go on forever as you are only renting your car. If you just have to have a new car every couple of years (for whatever reason), leasing can be cheaper. But from a pure total cost standpoint it is far cheaper to buy a car and run it for 150,000 miles or so. It just depends on what is more important to you; a new-ish car always in your driveway or an older car in the driveway (but with more dollars in your wallet). The argument of 'equity' or 'depreciating asset' really doesn't mean anything in a car, no matter if you are buying or leasing you are spending money on something that will always deteriorate. I keep my cars for a long time, and after I pay my 3 year loan off on the IS I'll have another 5+ years of ownership with absolutely no car payments and hopefully minimal repair bills. Contrast that if I leased for 8 years; I'd have payments every month. Everybody has to answer the question for themselves as to what is more important; IMAGE (lease for 2 or 3 years) or DOLLARS IN YOUR WALLET (buy and hold).
Old 05-16-08, 01:00 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Leasing is a way to go if you get rid of a vehicle every 3 years.
Stay in the mileage limit.
Want a more expensive vehicle to drive for a lesser payment.
Added bonus if you can write the payment off on taxes.
You also can save on maintenance costs as you wouldn't be as ****.
Old 05-16-08, 01:43 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO here are the things too look at:

How often do you get a new car?? if 3 years or less then Lease

Do you travel for work? if so Lease

one thing many point out in here is mileage. when you go into the dealer to buy a used car and one has 35k and the other has 45k on it. how much of a difference in sales price is there on a Lexus?? Minimal if any right!!! Okay so forget the stupid mileage thing! You can trade in a lease vehicle! You are buying a car that will holds it value better then most and mileage is not an issue of concern when someone buys a Toyota/Lexus "or" Honda/Acura. I have done this for years and when I traded in my 05.5 Audi S4 I was 10k upside down in mileage if I had finished my lease. So it would have cost me a lot of money to walk from the car. But I traded in the car and made 300$ plus took advantage of the tax credit. I paid NO taxes on my car! I have worked in the Auto industry and I have many years in the Banking/Financial industry. I am not telling you what to do as you need to make that decision for you. But both has a positive and negative. For me I lease and I have nothing but positive issues. IF you would like more info on leasing PM me and I would be happy to explain more in detail what I do and some things that may be of help for you!

Mike