IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS Audio

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-08, 04:42 PM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS Audio

Would it be better to get a cleansweep by JL Audio or use the AudioControl LC8 I already have? As far as SQ & power go will I get the same between the two units or will the cleansweep be better?
Old 05-13-08, 05:38 AM
Kris Laes
Driver School Candidate

I guess it would depend a bit on your own preferences regarding music quality. They are totally different units with different uses: The LC8 will do no processing on the actual signal (or at least, no heavy processing), whereas the cleansweep will try to clean up the incoming signal.

Any processing that is done on an analog signal (to remove noise and EQ done by the IS audio system) will also inevitably affect the original signal quality, however good the processing is done. If you would compare the cleansweep output, the LC8 output and the factory output to each other, you would probably see that the cleansweep output would sound cleaner compared to the LC8, but it would also sound a bit less vivid/dynamic than the original signal. The LC8 output would retain the dynamic qualities of the music better, but would not eliminate noise and EQ introduced by the factory amp.

However, this all being said, we are talking about differences on an audiophile level here. Furthermore, I am guessing you are talking about powering an aftermarket sub, which makes sound quality even less of an issue. All in all, both units offer native channel summing and that is the most important improvement you can make in sound quality, as mentioned on the forums here. I don't think anyone would be able to tell the difference between a cleansweep or an LC8 being hooked up to your sub.

I hope other people will jump in on this and give their opinion, as I would also be interested in hearing other people's opinions about this.

Last edited by Kris Laes; 05-13-08 at 05:40 AM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 05-13-08, 06:10 AM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kris Laes
I guess it would depend a bit on your own preferences regarding music quality. They are totally different units with different uses: The LC8 will do no processing on the actual signal (or at least, no heavy processing), whereas the cleansweep will try to clean up the incoming signal.

Any processing that is done on an analog signal (to remove noise and EQ done by the IS audio system) will also inevitably affect the original signal quality, however good the processing is done. If you would compare the cleansweep output, the LC8 output and the factory output to each other, you would probably see that the cleansweep output would sound cleaner compared to the LC8, but it would also sound a bit less vivid/dynamic than the original signal. The LC8 output would retain the dynamic qualities of the music better, but would not eliminate noise and EQ introduced by the factory amp.

However, this all being said, we are talking about differences on an audiophile level here. Furthermore, I am guessing you are talking about powering an aftermarket sub, which makes sound quality even less of an issue. All in all, both units offer native channel summing and that is the most important improvement you can make in sound quality, as mentioned on the forums here. I don't think anyone would be able to tell the difference between a cleansweep or an LC8 being hooked up to your sub.

I hope other people will jump in on this and give their opinion, as I would also be interested in hearing other people's opinions about this.
Great explanation!
Old 05-13-08, 11:12 AM
haze
Driver School Candidate

I actually have the Cleansweep setup in my MT250. Here's the setup I have going.

Boston Pro 6.5cs
Boston Pro 5.5cs
JL 450/4
JL 12w7
Alpine MRMD-1000
1 Farad Cap
JL Clean Sweep
JL SSI

The thing that is a real ***** is that not only do you have to buy the clean sweep, but the SSI as well to merge the multi channel signal from OEM. This applies to both ML and non-ML systems. The sound is a lot more clear with the Clean sweep installed. However, you must control the volume with a JL volume remote in CONJUNCTION with the factory volume. Since the SSI is filtering out the mids and highs, it is very difficult to get the "right" sound at different volume levels. Honestly, it's a really big *****, but the SQ is much better then stock.

Another thing I hate about the OEM integration setup is the difficulty to tap into the stock amplifier, which requires a complicated *** diagram. The remote wire for the power is also very hard to tap into and can potentially mess up your whole electrical system. I decided it would be easiest to use a manually controlled remote wire to power my amps on and off. If anyone has any info on this, please let me know.

Basically, if you are going with the OEM integration, be prepared to do a lot of manual crap and go to an installer that has done it before on an ISX50. I also would recommend that you get an external bass control installed as it is the only way to adjust the sub is to manually go in the trunk.

Conclusively, I only recommend this set up if you CAN tel the difference in SQ and don't want to deal with custom. Hope this helps.
Old 05-13-08, 11:19 AM
haze
Driver School Candidate

and pivo, i see you are also located in LA. If you are able to find a shop that has good experience with the clean sweep, please let me know as I am trying to tune my system and fix small kinks. Thanks.
Old 05-13-08, 12:19 PM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by haze
I actually have the Cleansweep setup in my MT250. Here's the setup I have going.

Boston Pro 6.5cs
Boston Pro 5.5cs
JL 450/4
JL 12w7
Alpine MRMD-1000
1 Farad Cap
JL Clean Sweep
JL SSI
Haze,

Where did you end up mounting your tweeters and how is the staging? Also, did the 1 farad cap solve all the dimming issues?
Old 05-13-08, 12:52 PM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

I'm located in Louisiana haze. The local shop said they could install an after market head unit but would need to build a custom bracket to match the stock paneling for 600$ dollars. The question Im trying to get answered is would there be a huge noticeable difference between an after market head unit & the stock head unit using an LC8 or Cleansweep? My entire setup is total SQ so its important that it sounds clean & good but I dont want to spend extra money for a custom bracket & aftermarket head unit if the difference is minor.
Old 05-13-08, 12:58 PM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

D.Jobin did u have to do any cutting to fit your tweeters? I have 1 inch tweeters & I dont want to have to do any cutting. Seems like getting an aftermarket setup in this car is a pain in the ***....
Old 05-13-08, 01:02 PM
suorum
Pole Position

You have zillions of possibilities for an aftermarket unit. What your options are? what are you looking for (I know SQ, but I mean what kind of tunning capabilities you want). About a month (if not more) ago I recommended you to go for the 3Sixty.1 from RF instead of an aftermarket unit. As Kris Laes said it depends on what you want what your final option will be. But I would definitively leave out the option of going for an aftermarket (because of the money). Besides $600 for a custom bracket plus aftermarket unit I think it is a steal!
Old 05-13-08, 01:21 PM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pivo154
D.Jobin did u have to do any cutting to fit your tweeters? I have 1 inch tweeters & I dont want to have to do any cutting. Seems like getting an aftermarket setup in this car is a pain in the ***....
I haven't done anything to my car audio wise yet so I wouldn't know what to tell you.
Old 05-13-08, 01:41 PM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

I agree suorum 600 just for the bracket then another 400 for a decent system is 1k without any of the other essentials & is a waste of $...The audio shop recommended I get a Cleansweep however, Im wondering how well the system would sound with the LC8. Im just confused with all this work that needs to be done by using the LC8 & cleansweep units...Tuning is very imp when it comes to audio & the amps/speakers/crossovers Im using are top SQ so I want it all to work out well.
Old 05-13-08, 02:14 PM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Honestly I got so fed up with the complexity of this factory unit that I'm going around to audio shops for quotes on a custom dash piece for an aftermarket unit. Plus I don't like the fact that the factory unit turns down the bass level as the volume increases.
Old 05-13-08, 02:15 PM
SpaceCadet
Driver

I think you will get better answers by posting in car audio forums like caraudio.com
Old 05-13-08, 02:58 PM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

factory unit turns down the bass level as volume increases? Even with an LC8 or other such line converters? Your going to spend 400 dollars for sure. Most estimates Ive seen have been in the 600 range.
Old 05-13-08, 09:20 PM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pivo154
factory unit turns down the bass level as volume increases? Even with an LC8 or other such line converters? Your going to spend 400 dollars for sure. Most estimates Ive seen have been in the 600 range.
Yea once you get around 48+ on the volume its noticable.

As for the dash kit, I think the little extra money spent will be well worth the tuning and ability to upgrade, as well as sound quality.

Quick Reply: IS Audio