IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Question for Fender Rolled owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-08, 01:45 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question for Fender Rolled owners

How many of you guys have rolled your front fender? is it hard to roll? the shop i went to said that the front is too thin to roll...and what rubs is just the black plastic fender liners...so they offered to cut it instead...

I am rubbing on the top of the fender and the fender behind the wheel....

*updated*
So this is what the shop did to my Passenger side only...told them to wait another day for the driver side so that i can get feedback from the forum...So far no more rubbing on the right side...even when turning...

Here they cut out the fender lining that cover the metal braket...

The plastic thing at the back of the wheels

last hole right behind the wheel....
what if water goes in? will it short-circuit any cables??

just need advice for the Driver Side...should i just roll it? or just cut the plastic fender liner like the passenger side?

anyway, by cutting all these holes, i am scared that it will short circuit any cables if water goes in..

Last edited by radicalrev; 05-11-08 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-11-08, 01:54 AM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well bro what I did to my IS..

1) I cut the front mid lower plastic liner where the bumper bracket at and also then I use metal stick to hammer the side of metal bracket to have a minimum bend cuz the front tire touch the bumper bracket.. After I work on it, There are no rubbing when making turn.. IM pretty surprise what Ive done to it...

2) My buddy told me about roll the fender on IS gonna be pain in the ***.. That's what my buddy told me.. Maybe Im wrong..

3) The front tires I use 215-40-18 on 8.5 inch wide rim.. The tires stretch and have plenty of room under the fender.. If u go 225 series with low offset, it gonna rub crazy.. Ive had experience with 3 different size of front tires...
Old 05-11-08, 02:12 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

are you sure your rubbing on your fender? if it does your tires should probably be cut up.
Old 05-11-08, 02:19 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

yeah rubbing on big dips on highways....especially if i have 4 person...ugh...my outer side of the tires have different shades now...hard to describe...i also notice that below the fender, there is a spot where the paint has chipped away..

need some modification....*please dun tell me to get a new set of wheels* lol...

anyway...VIS250P, any pics of the fender mod u did? really want to see it...
Old 05-11-08, 02:30 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

eek get that fixed
Old 05-11-08, 02:46 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

yeah i hope to fix it soon..but just need advice to what i shud do...i am rubbing at the top of the wheel and the front fenders that cover the metal bolt thing...har, i think you did this mod right? where did you end up relocating the metal clip thing?
Old 05-11-08, 02:50 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by radicalrev
yeah i hope to fix it soon..but just need advice to what i shud do...i am rubbing at the top of the wheel and the front fenders that cover the metal bolt thing...har, i think you did this mod right? where did you end up relocating the metal clip thing?
haha no, got lazy. I just shaved it as much as possible. Its been doing good so far as long as I dont do a left turn that has a dip.
Old 05-11-08, 02:56 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

ohh...okay...so you can just use a hammer and just bend it up/down wards? or do you cut it off?
Old 05-11-08, 06:55 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

can you take a heat gun and push it back?? when you heat that up its pretty flexible and you can mold it more out of the way.

I had minor rub turned all the way on big dips. It was slightly touching one little corner and I found it and took my friends heat gun at the dealer and we just pushed it in. If its just that plastic its not going to hurt the tire but it will eventually rub thru it.

I did rub in the rear on the driver side but I shaved that off and no more worries for me. everyone said get new tires...bla, bla, bla...haha. I didnt want to go that direction either.

I say heat those liners up and see what you can do that way first. Did you find out why you had a different gap from one side to the other from you last post. I have never checked mine to see if that is normal on the car but it sure doesnt seem like it would be.

Hope you can figure it out!
Old 05-11-08, 11:27 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

passnu, hes not talking about the plastic liner. Its the metal bumper bracket and it cuts the tires bad (at least mine did).

My friend had a dremel tool and shaved it off.
Old 05-11-08, 11:50 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

well, the metal bracket thing hasnt cut my tires yet...but it is starting to show...the tires are cutting thru the fender liner and the shape of the metal bracket is showing....lol...

anyway...passnu did you heat up just the plastic or the whole fender liner from top to bottom?

the top fender liner doesnt feel like a plastic...and therefore i dun know if it will melt and stay up on top...
Old 05-11-08, 12:02 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My bad guys I didnt have the same problem. Mine rubbed only at hard turns coming down my driveway that is at a 45+ degree angle with one heck of a curb. It didnt do it all the time.

Mine was the plastic liner not the fender or the screw. It was a small little corner and I just heated it at the shop and inverted what was a corner and now I have not heard it going out of my driveway. I did have a problem on the driver side in the rear with the rear quarter panel and had to shave it down.

wish I had some better direction for you. I misunderstood your post.

Good Luck!
Mike
Old 05-11-08, 01:52 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

*update on first post*

Advice and comments please...thanks!
Old 05-11-08, 04:43 PM
350nub
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aren't you scared that one day the cables may screw up?
Old 05-11-08, 05:13 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

that is what i want to know too...i dun even know what cable that is showing there...if there is a potential of the cable screwing up, anything i can do to cover without rubbing again?

Quick Reply: Question for Fender Rolled owners