IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Seat Belt Rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-08, 04:33 AM
DZP
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Belt Rattle?

I think I've isolated my passenger side noise to the passenger seatbelt connector (not B-pillar, but the part the seatbelt inserts into) itself! When going over uneven roads, there's a rattling/buzzing type noise. What tipped me off was when I have a passenger and he/she is wearing the seatbelt, the noise is not as prominent. It's a small noise in the overall scheme of things, but is incredibly annoying since it seems it's directly by my right ear.

Has anyone else had this?
Old 05-09-08, 05:43 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

My seatbelt latch piece can sometimes 'rattle' against the pillar when the belt is twisted (e.g. after someone uses it). All I need to do is untwist it so that the belt and latch sit flat against the pillar.
Old 05-09-08, 06:02 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DZP
I think I've isolated my passenger side noise to the passenger seatbelt connector (not B-pillar, but the part the seatbelt inserts into) itself! When going over uneven roads, there's a rattling/buzzing type noise. What tipped me off was when I have a passenger and he/she is wearing the seatbelt, the noise is not as prominent. It's a small noise in the overall scheme of things, but is incredibly annoying since it seems it's directly by my right ear.

Has anyone else had this?
I had this as well under the same conditions - very easy to fix.
Old 05-09-08, 06:06 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
My seatbelt latch piece can sometimes 'rattle' against the pillar when the belt is twisted (e.g. after someone uses it). All I need to do is untwist it so that the belt and latch sit flat against the pillar.
Ah, this has happened to me and drives me nuts (LOL). I simply disconnect and unravel.
Old 05-09-08, 06:23 AM
DZP
Pit Crew

It's not actually the latch rattling against the B-pillar, but rather seems like it's the actual seatbelt latch holder that is next to the center armrest/storage container. It's a vibrating/rattling/buzzing type noise that sounds like a spring. Searching through these forums it seems it could also be the seat rail clips?
Old 05-09-08, 06:25 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DZP
It's not actually the latch rattling against the B-pillar, but rather seems like it's the actual seatbelt latch holder that is next to the center armrest/storage container. It's a vibrating/rattling/buzzing type noise that sounds like a spring. Searching through these forums it seems it could also be the seat rail clips?
I bet your dealer will replace the latch assembly for you. It is a safety issue and it is possible there are loose components within the mechanism.
Old 05-09-08, 06:59 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

If we are talking about the same seat clips, then that would be a squeaking not what you are describing, I think.
Old 05-09-08, 01:25 PM
DZP
Pit Crew

Argh, after yet another drive while listening closely, I think it's coming from around the center arm-rest/storage compartment! I removed everything from the compartment (not much in there to begin with) and am at a loss at what it could be!
Old 05-09-08, 07:14 PM
dw8787
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you are saying it is low like around the center column, but also make sure you do not have glasses in the glasses holder. Depending on how I put my sunglasses in the holder it will make a noise that sounds like it is coming from the center column. Hey, it is true, at least my situation it was. Someone has got to believe me.
Old 05-09-08, 08:29 PM
DZP
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dw8787
I know you are saying it is low like around the center column, but also make sure you do not have glasses in the glasses holder. Depending on how I put my sunglasses in the holder it will make a noise that sounds like it is coming from the center column. Hey, it is true, at least my situation it was. Someone has got to believe me.
I actually do have sunglasses in the sunglass holder, and I'll remove them and give it a shot tomorrow.

I think I've spent a disturbing amount of time driving up and down a particular road in my city this past week since it's quite uneven, and induces the noise without fail. Tonight I tried sticking foam under all the seat track covers since I notice when I press down on them, they will make a somewhat similar noise against the metal rail.
Unfortunately another run down the "noise road" proved me wrong, totally belittling my problem solving skills. I'm taking my car to the dealer tomorrow, and hopefully they will resolve it as I'm starting to go insane!
Old 05-10-08, 08:25 AM
is_grrl
Driver School Candidate

I had a seat belt rattle that sounds very similar to yours. It was a soft ticking noise coming from in the seat belt housing somewhere...it wasn't loud by any means, but once you heard it, you couldn't get it out of your head. Anyway, took it to the dealer & they were great...replaced the housing and put some of that felt tape inside somewhere and haven't heard a peep since. Good luck.