IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Exhaust residue driving me nuts...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-08, 03:03 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Exhaust residue driving me nuts...

(*Read this lightly) It's bad enough cleaning off the excessive brakedust.... Now every day there is a build up of orange/rust-looking stains inside my tailpipes. It's gotten to the point where it spits out onto the side of the tailpipe cutouts on the bumper. And I also see the stains now building up at the base of the exhaust bladder (the big black thing before the tips... I don't know what you call this piece). Yes, I am extremely **** about my car and keeping it looking new. But I have never seen such condensation before. On my other cars it's usually more of a black substance that builds up a little each week at the end of the tips.
It has been overcast and muggy here in L.A., is it the weather? Or the fact I drive mostly streets and only the freeway once a week? The orange color is what throws me the most. Just wondering (and extremely bored).
Old 05-09-08, 06:44 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
(*Read this lightly) It's bad enough cleaning off the excessive brakedust.... Now every day there is a build up of orange/rust-looking stains inside my tailpipes. It's gotten to the point where it spits out onto the side of the tailpipe cutouts on the bumper. And I also see the stains now building up at the base of the exhaust bladder (the big black thing before the tips... I don't know what you call this piece). Yes, I am extremely **** about my car and keeping it looking new. But I have never seen such condensation before. On my other cars it's usually more of a black substance that builds up a little each week at the end of the tips.
It has been overcast and muggy here in L.A., is it the weather? Or the fact I drive mostly streets and only the freeway once a week? The orange color is what throws me the most. Just wondering (and extremely bored).
I would try switching gas stations for a start. I made sure to go outside and check my exhaust after reading your dilemma. I did not notice any corrosive build-up on my vehicle. I would try the gas switch and if the problem persists, I would inquire with the dealer. Since your vehicle is probably less than two years old, this should not be happening.

P.S. It is okay to be **** and take care of your car (LOL). This issue would bother most people.
Old 05-09-08, 07:54 AM
Monkey250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just scotch guard the whole car and don't drive it. lol . Its just the exhaust, it gets dirty.
Old 05-09-08, 09:06 AM
Giggity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Yes, I am extremely **** about my car and keeping it looking new.
Yet you admit to not knowing anything about cars....
It's like saying "I love having sex, but only the missionary position."
Old 05-09-08, 09:15 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't worry about the rust in the tailpipes. If it does end up eating the tip, that gives you a good excuse to get a shiny new one or an entire exhaust system, hehe. But I don't think it will go that extreme. Your car's too new. I've seent he rust on my rotors though, but after car washes usually. Brake lube cleared it right up.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-09-08 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-09-08, 10:04 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Just imagine if you had a chrome exhaust like I do... the think is completely black 2 days after washing.

Luckily Blue-Job is my best friend!

If you are running a aftermarket exhaust, you could use a Blue-Job!
http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/blchpo.html

Old 05-09-08, 10:16 AM
IS-MIKE
Driver

Instead of bluejob I wonder about some kind of rust prevention product.
In boats and my water heater they use something called a "sacrificial anode" to help with corrosion. Basically the thing to rust first is the sacrificial anode, usually a big hunk of zinc metal.

A google search led me to this: http://www.ruststopnorthamerica.com/

I've never heard of anyone using this kind of thing on a car but it makes sense, especially in parts of the country where it snows and they salt the roads and half the old cars you see have rusted out doors. Maybe not so much in L.A.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-09-08 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-09-08, 10:25 AM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Buds
Just imagine if you had a chrome exhaust like I do... the think is completely black 2 days after washing.

That is one catchy product name.

But that's good info since I plan on getting the F-Sport exhaust.
Old 05-09-08, 10:45 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Buds

Im going to give this stuff a try! thanks for the info
Old 05-09-08, 10:49 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

It's okay to be obsessive over your car...I have my moments too! I also went outside to look at my tailpipes, and nope...my pipes have no build-up. Try switching gas stations (Chevron/Texaco is good stuff!).
Old 05-09-08, 11:11 AM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"exhaust bladder (the big black thing before the tips... I don't know what you call this piece)"

Muffler?
Old 05-09-08, 11:28 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by passnu2
Im going to give this stuff a try! thanks for the info
Anytime! I used to use Mothers Chrome Polish but it had a hard time getting the baked on spots off, this stuff does the trick every time!
Old 05-09-08, 11:43 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

At least get TSB for your brake pads, so you'll have one less thing to worry about keeping clean!
Old 05-09-08, 12:22 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

i tried the eagle one never-dull metal polisher..the tips becomes clean in a blink of an eye..but I dont see the chrome shining as before..
Old 05-09-08, 02:11 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks to all for the comments. Some didn't get the post though, but that's alright. I should have stressed it was the color of the stains that has me most curious. I've always had black soot stains. But here there is an orange-rust color building up. So perhaps the gas is the culprit. I'll switch and see. (I've been using Mobil). Oh and about the "muffler." Isn't that piece far closer up to the engine? Like under the center of the car?

Quick Reply: Exhaust residue driving me nuts...