IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ipod integration by splicing AUX/12VDC jacks

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-08, 04:54 PM
gromf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ipod integration by splicing AUX/12VDC jacks

Hey, gang. I've owned by 350 for a couple days now, and I love it so far! I discovered this forum when looking at ipod integration options, and I hope I am posting this in the right forum. (I didn't see one specifically electronics/audio oriented.) Sorry this is so long.

I know there's a lot of info on ways to integrate ipods into the nav system (which I have). For a number of reasons (perhaps based on flawed information? -- please correct me if I'm wrong), I *DO NOT* want to integrate my ipod controls through the nav:

(1) I don't want to lose access to the navigation display when monkeying with music. I'm new to my area and I need to rely on the nav system to get me where I'm going.

(2) I don't use playlists. Yes, I'm stubborn. But I don't. It seems like most of the integration systems (e.g., the VAIS one) only allow playlist access -- not full artist scrolling. (And if they did allow artist scrolling, the normal up/down scrolling on the nav is so slow/inefficient it would take me forever to get from A to Z.)

(3) I don't care about video.

That said, I do not want to plug into the 12VDC and 3.5mm AUX jacks in the center console -- that's an clunky option, takes up space, and is rather inconvenient. Instead, I want to do an installation similar to what I did in our equivalently outfitted (AUX/cig jacks) Subaru: I used a Belkin adapter that sends power into, and pulls audio out of, the ipod via its 30-pin proprietary plug. Here are the details of that install (including a USB jack for powering other items). Besides allowing better audio (from the plug, rather than the headphone jack), it also charges the ipod and pauses music when the ignition turns off. Best of all, I was able to bury all of the wiring under the console so that the only visible wire is the about 6" of cable coming out of the dash and attaching to the ipod.'s port.

I want to do the same kind of install on my 350. But that raises a few questions (and, yes, I searched to little avail before posting these):

(1) Are there AUX RCA inputs on the headunit (I have NAV and SAT)?

(2) If there are not AUX RCA inputs, I'll use the AUX jack. Has anyone done a a write up on how to open and get under the console so that I can pop out the jacks? I'll likely drop the whole jack into the dash and will install a powered USB jack into the old opening, as I did in the Subie. I'm having a difficult time finding a way to open and get under the console without breaking anything, though.

(3) I've heard that the 12VDC jack in the console produces engine whine (probably from a ground loop problem). I had planned on splicing into that for power for the Belkin. Can anybody comment? If there is a problem, I'll have to pull power from something else switched with the ignition.

edit: There is a documented ground loop problem and even an official TSIB to address it.

(4) Has anyone installed an ipod dock in the ashtray just below the cd loading slot? I can probably mod an OEM dock to fit in there. Alternatively, the flush.dock looks like an elegant solution.

Thanks in advance for helping this newbie!

Last edited by gromf; 05-08-08 at 06:27 PM. Reason: update to ground loop question