IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

v-led city light broke and is no longer for sale

Old 04-24-14, 08:33 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! Do I just yank at my current bulb to remove it from the connector? And then just push this one in?
Old 04-24-14, 09:10 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

You just turn the back of the socket counter clockwise to remove it from the back of the headlight, then the bulb pulls straight out of the socket pretty easily. These fit right in their place.

If you are looking for a really bright parking light, you may want to look at one with more LED. These aren't super bright, they are just a better color. They look like the #5 bulb from this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ive-guide.html

Last edited by Tungstn-IS; 04-24-14 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-24-14, 09:13 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tungstn-IS
You just turn the back of the socket counter clockwise to remove it from the back of the headlight, then the bulb pulls straight out of the socket pretty easily. These fit right in their place.
Yes, getting the socket out I have already figured out but just wasn't sure if I just pulled the bulb straight out or had to twist it off. I am fairly new to taking my car apart, I feel better doing it now that it is older.
Old 04-24-14, 09:45 AM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I just buy them off of amazon. They are like $1 a piece and I can't tell a difference.
$1 for city light (DRL) bulbs? Link please!!!
Old 04-24-14, 09:51 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BoyOhBoy
He already linked it and he was talking about the Parking Light not the DRL. The parking light is above and a bit to the side of the DRL. So confusing I know! I didn't realize the goddamn thing even existed prior to forgetting to install it and having to take my bumper off twice.
Old 04-24-14, 10:30 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

The DRL is your high beam bulb. We're talking about what is referred to as the parking light or city light. It's a small 194 bulb also located in the high beam housing.
Old 04-24-14, 10:40 AM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Zinda
He already linked it and he was talking about the Parking Light not the DRL. The parking light is above and a bit to the side of the DRL. So confusing I know! I didn't realize the goddamn thing even existed prior to forgetting to install it and having to take my bumper off twice.
Yeah someone else put my bumper back on so I have no clue how to put it on myself. Not going to even attempt anything that involves taking my bumper off anymore
Old 04-24-14, 10:51 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah someone else put my bumper back on so I have no clue how to put it on myself. Not going to even attempt anything that involves taking my bumper off anymore
After having done it twice I don't want to do it ever again but it was much easier the 2nd time.
Old 04-24-14, 06:37 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Quick, crappy pics.
Attached Thumbnails v-led city light broke and is no longer for sale-dsc_1413.jpg   v-led city light broke and is no longer for sale-dsc_1419.jpg  

Last edited by Tungstn-IS; 04-24-14 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-24-14, 07:33 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Quick, crappy pics.
Wow, I'm also running that same set up. 6000k low and 6000k fogs but stock city light. So that city light bulb of yours isn't blue because you changed out your DRL daylight running bulb? Here's what mine looks like but the drl bulb is stock.

Old 04-24-14, 07:36 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

I used these for my parking lights and they have been working just fine.

Amazon.com: 4x 194 168 5-SMD White High Power LED Car Lights Bulb: Automotive Amazon.com: 4x 194 168 5-SMD White High Power LED Car Lights Bulb: Automotive

I can take a picture of them later when it gets darker. The parking lights don't really stand out a whole lot in the bright daylight.
So you're telling me, with $2, I can have white city lights?! Instead of paying like $80 for v-led ones? And is it similar to the instalation for the low beams. Just twist that silver metal thing to unlock it?
Old 04-24-14, 07:39 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

^ Well not $2, because they don't sell just two lol. $4+shipping gets you 4 of them. The pics above are those exact ones. It is a direct swap, just pull the old one out and put those in. That is for the city light, not the DRL. They are two different bulbs.

Wow, I'm also running that same set up. 6000k low and 6000k fogs but stock city light. So that city light bulb of yours isn't blue because you changed out your DRL daylight running bulb? Here's what mine looks like but the drl bulb is stock.
No, the DRL bulb is actually your high beam bulb running at lower power. The DRL isn't on when the low beams are running. There is another small bulb in the high beam housing that is the parking light, which is on when your light are on. That's what you're seeing in that picture that is putting the yellowish light into the high beam. It's a 194 bulb that can be simply swapped to a matching LED.

My DRL is a regular Sylvannia SilverStar Ultra halogen, but I have my DRL disabled so I don't have to look at that dingy yellow look in the day. That can be done with Techstream

Last edited by Tungstn-IS; 04-24-14 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-24-14, 08:00 PM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

How complicated is it having those nice fogs instead of the yellowish stock crap.
Old 04-24-14, 08:10 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zinda
How complicated is it having those nice fogs instead of the yellowish stock crap.
It depends on how involved you want to get. What he has is an aftermarket 6K HID kit. Which you will want to remove your bumper (again lol) so you can mount the ballast.

Mine is actually just a 9006 style LED bulb. They are about $40 and a direct swap. His setup will be brighter, I went the LED route because I don't truly need the fogs, or at least not any brighter than they already were. I just wanted them to match. I can't really tell a difference between the light output between these and the factory halogen fog. His HID conversion will actually provide more light for sure though.

PS - Sorry for the thread jack Lextasy. I'll try to quit now lol. You guys can PM me if you have any other discussion on our off-topic'ness

Last edited by Tungstn-IS; 04-24-14 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-30-14, 08:38 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Somehow I was able to change my bulbs without taking anything out other than the windshield fluid nozzle. Thank freaking god!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: v-led city light broke and is no longer for sale