IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Noise on center dash static or cracking

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-08, 11:44 AM
dannygjatt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise on center dash static or cracking

Every so often I will start my IS250 and there will be a noise coming from the center dash speaker i think. It sounds kind of how a speaker would with a loose connection. Like static or crackling. The noise goes away after a couple minutes. I took it to the dealer and they didn't hear anything. They checked the wiring and everything was fine. Not sure if anyone else has this problem??
Old 05-04-08, 12:04 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

i hear that too on my 250 especially when i am turning on curves or bumps. it sounds like my car is about to crack apart.
Old 05-04-08, 12:07 PM
kloh7
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know what you are talking about, mine comes from the guages when I start my car. I think it's only happened like three times since I've owned the car. So its not worth for me to ask the dealer since they are just going to say they can't find the problem.
Old 05-04-08, 12:23 PM
sammy5001
Rookie

I heard a similar "static/cracking" sound from my front left speaker when driving. Later I found out that the problem wasn't my speaker at all...it was my outside left mirror. My experience tells me that you should find where the problem is yourself before bringing your car to the dealer. They *never* find problems with your car...NEVER. But if you tell them where the problem is then they'll have no choice but to fix it.
Old 05-22-08, 02:43 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kloh7
I know what you are talking about, mine comes from the guages when I start my car. I think it's only happened like three times since I've owned the car. So its not worth for me to ask the dealer since they are just going to say they can't find the problem.
Ditto, What is that?
Old 05-22-08, 03:06 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kloh7
there are 2 screws under the IP hood cover. If you squeeze the one on the right, you'll hear the noise. I had the TSIB done, and it helped, but didn't solve the issue.
Old 05-22-08, 06:29 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
there are 2 screws under the IP hood cover. If you squeeze the one on the right, you'll hear the noise. I had the TSIB done, and it helped, but didn't solve the issue.
So is that inside the odometer visor cover? Can you give me more details please?
Thx!

Wait you mean the Ipod hood cover in the center armrest area? Squeezing that screw and you hear the static noise up by the odometer??

Last edited by ES3; 05-22-08 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-23-08, 07:16 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

"The hood over the speedo. Feel underneath, you will feel 2 screws. On my car, if I put my thumb on the right side screw, and forefinger on the top and squeeze, I hear the crackle."

Anyone else's car make this noise in this scenario??
Old 05-23-08, 07:31 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

We should all see if the OP has the Levinson. If it is the standard Pioneer, there is now center channel speaker to make noise. Chances are it is the plastic clips located right behind the center grill. The TSIB utilizes a "Noise Kit" which employs felt to alleviate this cracking sound. It nearly drove me mad until I had the dealer fix this. Now, my car has been silent ever since (January 08). I would advise that it is a popping type noise and the dealer should perform this. I did not care that my dash was removed.
Old 05-23-08, 07:34 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Clearly we're talking about 2 different cracking noises. One in the speaker, the other in the speedo cluster area. I've never noticed a noise in the speaker. Have you/could you try this?

"The hood over the speedo. Feel underneath, you will feel 2 screws. On my car, if I put my thumb on the right side screw, and forefinger on the top and squeeze, I hear the crackle."
Old 05-23-08, 07:39 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ES3
Clearly we're talking about 2 different cracking noises. One in the speaker, the other in the speedo cluster area. I've never noticed a noise in the speaker. Have you/could you try this?

I should mention that the "Noise Kit" TSIB places the felt material around the analogue guage cluster housing to reduce the plastic creaking against the dash. My cluster use to crack/pop all the time as well.
Old 05-23-08, 07:42 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Good to know.
Curious if you still hear the noise when you do this?

Old 05-23-08, 07:46 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ES3
Good to know.
Curious if you still hear the noise when you do this?

Knock on wood, the only noise I ever hear in my car once in a blue moon is the center vents when it is cold out. The TSIB kit also insulates these as well. It is simply a cheap plastic. I am happy and have no complaints. I think every CL member that experiences this popping, clanging, chattering etc, should be allowed for the TSIB. Only wish Lexus recognized and diagnosed this issue in 2006.
Old 05-23-08, 08:03 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian231
Knock on wood, the only noise I ever hear in my car once in a blue moon is the center vents when it is cold out. The TSIB kit also insulates these as well. It is simply a cheap plastic. I am happy and have no complaints. I think every CL member that experiences this popping, clanging, chattering etc, should be allowed for the TSIB. Only wish Lexus recognized and diagnosed this issue in 2006.

I had a popping sound at times and just had the TSB done that Brian's mentions.
The insulating of center vents TSB kit.
Haven't had a problem yet.
Old 05-23-08, 08:07 AM
RSMDR
Driver School Candidate

Time for me to rant again about the lack of qualiity in the IS.

I, like most others, have had the TSIB's. For me it's been the New Dash Clips, Center Speaker, Center Stack etc.

I'm still experiencing noises that the dealer does hear but is unable to correct.

There are 3 main culprits that need to be addressed.

1: Secure the wiring harness that feeds the small light on the drivers & passenger side vent.

2. Remove the speedo horn and felt the area.

3. The most annoying is to deal with the crackling in the center stack. This is the tricky part is the fine balance between not enough foam and too much. An insulation material needs to be put between all the pieces of plastic that touch each other.

I've ordered automotive grade felt with PSA and will tackle the problems myself.

It's rather sad when a Hyundai Sonnata has a quieter dash area than a Lexus...

Lexus, The New Pursuit of Mediocrity!......

Quick Reply: Noise on center dash static or cracking