IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car doesn't move unless I step on the accelerator (on flat surface)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-08, 06:44 PM
sammy5001
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car doesn't move unless I step on the accelerator (on flat surface)

With most other Toyota/Lexus cars I've driven in the past (Camry, Prius, ES, RX), when I just let go of the brake pedals, the car starts moving slowly. But with my IS350, my car doesn't move at all unless I depress the accelerator pedal. Even when I do, the car doesn't really move unless the RPM is around 2000. While in 1st gear and the RPM is <2000, I just hear engine noise but the car doesn't really move much. By the time I get it to >=2000 RPM, I get a sudden jerky launch. Is this the case for the rest of you? I want confirm whether this is by design or a problem with my car.

The thing is, I expect the car to move slightly after I let go of the brake pedals and then I can apply gas slowly to launch smoothly. But with the way my car works now, it's really really hard to launch smoothly. It's either no go or a jerky hard launch. That's kinda annoying and I get a lot of complains from passengers...
Old 05-03-08, 07:16 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Doesn't sound normal. Mine creeps forward when I take my foot off the brake, just like any other car with an automatic.
Old 05-03-08, 07:24 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your symptoms only happen to me if I forget to release the parking brake...
Old 05-03-08, 08:49 PM
gocubs08
Pole Position

not normal. get to the dealer stat!
Old 05-03-08, 09:24 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

I agree, this sounds like something that the dealership needs to look over.
Old 05-03-08, 09:42 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i would make sure someone didn't set the ebrake on you. make sure its not on for any reason and just to rule it out. If that is not the issue then you need to have the car taken in. I would call the dealer and explain as they may want to tow the car in for safety reasons. hope everything works out.
Old 05-03-08, 09:53 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The IS rolls when you let go of the brake. I've only driven bmw's who don't roll when you let off the brake but the IS doesn't roll ONLY if your parking brake is on or up a hill. Maybe even if you release the parking brake it's still stuck? Bring it to the dealer to get it checked.
Old 05-04-08, 12:48 AM
IS-MIKE
Driver

Originally Posted by ba-b4
Maybe even if you release the parking brake it's still stuck? Bring it to the dealer to get it checked.
I've had that happen to me with another car. Whether it is your brakes dragging or something else, its definitely not normal and should be checked out.
Old 05-04-08, 07:28 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

You might try applying your parking brakes. Sometimes the brake pads are no aligned and causing a drag. applying the usually aligns them so they dont drag anymore.
Old 05-04-08, 07:29 AM
Memout
Driver

On my car, if i'm going forward, and I let go of the brakes, the car creeps forward.

I have something similar but it's when i put the car in reverese, it doesn't creep in reverse, i have to tap the gas....

wierd :S

Last edited by lobuxracer; 05-04-08 at 10:20 AM. Reason: BRAKE not break
Old 05-04-08, 08:05 AM
accelerate
Lead Lap

Doesn't sound very good to me, unless you have your parking brake on , you would know if your driving with your parking brake because the cars computer would tell in the info screen. Keep us up to date.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 05-04-08 at 10:19 AM. Reason: BRAKE not break
Old 05-04-08, 11:40 AM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like the tranny may be slipping???? What year is it and how many miles on this vehicle?

Last edited by WhatYaGot; 05-08-08 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-04-08, 12:18 PM
sammy5001
Rookie

Originally Posted by Memout
On my car, if i'm going forward, and I let go of the brakes, the car creeps forward.

I have something similar but it's when i put the car in reverese, it doesn't creep in reverse, i have to tap the gas....

wierd :S
It sounds like we have the exact same problem except mine is going forward and yours is in reverse. When I put the car in reverse and then let go of the brake pedal, my car creeps backward quickly like it should...but it doesn't creep forward when I put the car in D, I have to tap the gas...

This is a brand new 2008 car (less than 1 month old) with only 600 miles on it. It's been like this since the beginning and I wasn't sure whether this was by design or not. I noticed the difference after I drove a loaner ES350. I should bring my car to the dealer to check it out fast.

Also a week ago my car was in the dealer's shop to investigate a rattle problem. Not only did they not find the cause of the problem after keeping my car for over a week, they put over 80 miles on it and they lost my key flop. So I'm using my mater key flop now and they're ordering a new key for me.

I didn't really care for the 80 miles they put on it because I expected them to test drive the car in order to figure out what was wrong with it...but just last night I noticed that my rear-right wheel is damaged and scratched. I bet when they were test driving my car and they made a tight right turn and hit the curb or something. This is absolutely ridiculous. I'm going back tomorrow to complain about this...but I'm afraid they may not accept my case because I didn't check thoroughly at the time I picked up the car
Old 05-04-08, 04:44 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

I always do a walk around after pick up. What are your revs like when stopped?
Old 05-04-08, 05:09 PM
sammy5001
Rookie

The rev is around 1000 RPM at idle. I think maybe my ECU is messed up or something. I'll try resetting that to see if it helps.

Quick Reply: Car doesn't move unless I step on the accelerator (on flat surface)