IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

harman/kardon ipod installed... :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-08, 08:27 AM
illmike
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default harman/kardon ipod installed... :)

after switching out my steering wheel, i really missed the confort of being able to fly by songs as ease...i also got tired of always looking down at my ipod in order to switch tracks (which isnt safe since i dont have my airbag anymore) so i needed something in my face & with a easy remote to change tracks..i came across this kit at bestbuy, looked good so i picked it up.

once i opened the box...this kit looked like it was MADE for the car. the Display Unit is the SAME color as the dash, and the sizing is just perfect. everything is plug and play (everything hooks up into the arm rest box...power, aux, etc...)

All you basicly do is just plug in your ipod and everything on your ipod shows in the Display unit...playlist, songs, etc...then everything is controlled by the remote.

The display and remote swivel so you can adjust and mount it anywhere...i choose these two locations because i wanted to be able to see the display while driving. the remote was mounted at a angle by my shiftknob that way i can just rest my hand on it and switch tracks while driving with ease =)

I spent about 1.5hrs wire tucking this unit so it would look clean...I wrote a DIY on the wire tucking and what parts needed to be drilled in order to have the setup look like mine, so pm me if you want it.

Last edited by illmike; 05-02-08 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-02-08, 08:43 AM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

Im not a fan of the steering wheel, looks like a school bus...but to each his own. I like the CF console
Old 05-02-08, 08:46 AM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Hmm, so you didn't like the Lexus steering wheel...

How much was the iPod kit?
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

LMAO @ that steering wheel
illmike
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MLIAISON
Im not a fan of the steering wheel, looks like a school bus...but to each his own. I like the CF console
you can't drive with it up like that...its only function is so you can get in and of the seats easier...
Old 05-02-08, 08:47 AM
Joneser
Driver

i don't know about this one.... for a quick fix and less money... totally makes since.
However, i don't know if you posted your steering wheel mods and shift **** before... I assume as much... it totally changes the feel of the interior... my TWO pesos... Must have been alot of work. I take it that thing tilts... rather than feeling like a bus driver?!

Anyway... unique nonetheless.... and it sounds like that is a great alternative for the viastech

Last edited by Joneser; 05-02-08 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-02-08, 08:51 AM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by illmike
you can't drive with it up like that...its only function is so you can get in and of the seats easier...
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh now i got it

lol dont mind me hehe
Old 05-02-08, 08:54 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am surprised you wanted to get rid of the airbag protection. I bet the SRS warning light is activated on your analogue gauge cluster? Not my cup of tea, but I like your Harmon Kardon control.
Old 05-02-08, 08:55 AM
SpaceCadet
Driver

can u pass inspection without air bags?
Old 05-02-08, 08:57 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

almost looks like it has a quick release also??

how come you have a Bride seat on the passenger side and your OEM seat on the driver side? Did you not care for them or are you still installing? Just curious. I hear great things about them! Door panels look good also with the Bride fabric!
Old 05-02-08, 08:58 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SpaceCadet
If the vehicle is to be inspected for a rebuild or salvage title, absolutely not. I would imagine many if not all the 50 states would not let this pass inspection without the SRS system fully functioning with no trouble codes.
Old 05-02-08, 09:03 AM
illmike
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sportsfan8
Hmm, so you didn't like the Lexus steering wheel...

How much was the iPod kit?
not really...im into more jdm parts...if i had a gs/ls going vip style then ya i would kept it stock. but im going all out on this car, which means I change out everything...even engine. i should be going 2JZ or LS2 swap soon, just gotta find time to talk to my installer more about it.

you can find the ipod kit for around 50 bucks on ebay...well worth it.
Old 05-02-08, 09:06 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SpaceCadet
Originally Posted by Brian231
If the vehicle is to be inspected for a rebuild or salvage title, absolutely not. I would imagine many if not all the 50 states would not let this pass inspection without the SRS system fully functioning with no trouble codes.
I would think with it being a newer car that this isnt something to worry about. Its not like the OP cant just put it back on for that purpose and remove if they choose to. Right or wrong its there choose

In IL I think your car has to be at least 4+ years old before you have to go in

To the OP you should post a DIY for the nice install you did for the other members! Looks nice and clean
Old 05-02-08, 09:12 AM
illmike
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by passnu2
almost looks like it has a quick release also??

how come you have a Bride seat on the passenger side and your OEM seat on the driver side? Did you not care for them or are you still installing? Just curious. I hear great things about them! Door panels look good also with the Bride fabric!
thanks...

it works just like a quick release, but doesnt release..instead it just folds all the way up that way you can get out of the seat easier, then when you get back in, it locks back into place. its the WORKSBELL GTC, just google it and you can read more about it.

Johnnyboy was the 1st to have it and he recomended it to me...so props to him.

Bride didn't ship out my driver side rail the same timeas the passenger one. I had the seats for about a month but havent installed it. Shino @ Tee's told me the drivers side came and ill have it on friday, so i just installed the passenger last night. ganna throw on the driverside this weekend.
Old 05-02-08, 09:14 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

thanks...

it works just like a quick release, but doesnt release..instead it just folds all the way up that way you can get out of the seat easier, then when you get back in, it locks back into place. its the WORKSBELL GTC, just google it and you can read more about it.

Johnnyboy was the 1st to have it and he recomended it to me...so props to him.

Bride didn't ship out my driver side rail the same timeas the passenger one. I had the seats for about a month but havent installed it. Shino @ Tee's told me the drivers side came and ill have it on friday, so i just installed the passenger last night. ganna throw on the driverside this weekend.
Welcome!

Post some pics after you have both seats in! You guys in CA are just tearing it up! I may just have to move out there

Quick Reply: harman/kardon ipod installed... :)