IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Should I be pissed? Need your thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-08, 04:09 PM
Lama
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just tell the service manager this.

"Mr. Service manager, you bought a brand new house, and you recently moved in and painted all the interior walls beige. There is a small water leak inside the wall behind the bathroom sink. You call the contractor back, and they fix the water leak behind the wall. They then proceed to repaint the entire interior of the house back to flat white, and take all your decorations off the walls and put them in the garage. How would you feel, Mr. Service Manager?"

My $.02
Old 04-28-08, 04:15 PM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

I would get a lawyer lmao
Old 04-28-08, 04:50 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is wrong that the dealer did not notify you about the change to your new mods, but they could have denied the fix with all the mods. Maybe they will try to say that in response. I would kindly bring this to there attention in an effort that demonstrates your need to have the car returned the way it was brought in minus the dash rattle.
Old 04-28-08, 04:59 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would you really trust one of these rookies to re-connect everything?
Old 04-28-08, 05:10 PM
hihi410
Lead Lap

I also believe you should talk to service manager. However, I would ask for an explanation before making an assumption.

Our car is very techy, and it's possible as someone mentioned that they may have take off the modded parts in order to test the final results, even if it meant rattle fix. Fixing our car is like dropping a spot of water in a pond, there are so many ripple effects, i wouldn't be surprise that they had to remove the modded parts to pass factory test results.

Also, it's possible since they are not trained/qualify techs for the mods that you have purchase, they cannot reinstall the modded parts. Any damage done to the part and car, they would be liable for.
Old 04-28-08, 05:40 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

While to some degree I sympathize with you, it sucks that they removed your mods, but what the dealership did was a little CYA.
You've modded your car with crap that will most definethly void your drivetrain warranty (does an SAFC even do anything on this car?!?) and then you take it back to them to perform courtesy warranty work that they can't charge you for and wonder why they disconnected it.
You should have removed all that stuff before you took it in, and reinstalled when you got it back- because the dealership now has documented proof that you have these "mods" and if the car ever breaks because of them, you are SOL because they documented it under your VIN #.
If you don't know how to install and operated these mods (you didn't keep a log of the safc settings??!!??) than you shouldn't have them on your car anyway.
Old 04-28-08, 05:47 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

^ Jeremy said in his original post that he knows that it voided warranty, and he has no intent on taking his vehicle in for warranty claims if caused by his mods.

Originally Posted by Jeremy
This is my car. Also I'm not the type of person that would take my car in for warranty claims that I caused. (like motor problems from the nitrous)

Also, Jeremy is a technical resource on this forum just like Gernby, Lobux, and others are. He isn't one to do mods without knowing how and why it will or won't work.

Why he didn't have the settings written somewhere is a good question. But he said that they are stored in memory even if the battery is disconnected. So, maybe he just didn't see a need to write them down.

Last edited by mikes rx; 04-28-08 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-28-08, 07:14 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hihi410
I also believe you should talk to service manager. However, I would ask for an explanation before making an assumption.

Our car is very techy, and it's possible as someone mentioned that they may have take off the modded parts in order to test the final results, even if it meant rattle fix. Fixing our car is like dropping a spot of water in a pond, there are so many ripple effects, i wouldn't be surprise that they had to remove the modded parts to pass factory test results.

Also, it's possible since they are not trained/qualify techs for the mods that you have purchase, they cannot reinstall the modded parts. Any damage done to the part and car, they would be liable for.
This is what i'm thinking also.
Old 04-28-08, 07:22 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Giggity
While to some degree I sympathize with you, it sucks that they removed your mods, but what the dealership did was a little CYA.
You've modded your car with crap that will most definethly void your drivetrain warranty (does an SAFC even do anything on this car?!?) and then you take it back to them to perform courtesy warranty work that they can't charge you for and wonder why they disconnected it.
You should have removed all that stuff before you took it in, and reinstalled when you got it back- because the dealership now has documented proof that you have these "mods" and if the car ever breaks because of them, you are SOL because they documented it under your VIN #.
If you don't know how to install and operated these mods (you didn't keep a log of the safc settings??!!??) than you shouldn't have them on your car anyway.
The simple thing is they should have asked before removing #1. #2 if the mods were in the way they could have called and asked me to uninstall before performing the TSB. #3 The only reason I have a warranty is for the small nuisance repairs like these. Motor problems I could care less about. What I get from what your saying is, if my car is modded then don't expect any warranty help or courtesy at all.?
Old 04-28-08, 07:33 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikes rx
^ Jeremy said in his original post that he knows that it voided warranty, and he has no intent on taking his vehicle in for warranty claims if caused by his mods.

Also, Jeremy is a technical resource on this forum just like Gernby, Lobux, and others are. He isn't one to do mods without knowing how and why it will or won't work.

Why he didn't have the settings written somewhere is a good question. But he said that they are stored in memory even if the battery is disconnected. So, maybe he just didn't see a need to write them down.
Mike I do have the settings written on my dyno sheet. I just have to find were my wife hide it LOL. Being that these are stored in memory says that someone had to go in the setup mode on the AFC and initialize the programing. Its an option in the setting menu. But this took intent and time. I'm sure they ran a diagnostic scan on the ECU after seeing the modds. I'm sure they picked up on the ramdom detonetion from some nitrous tuning I've been doing lately. I hope they done this thinking I'm a dumb a** and was about to kill a 45k car. But a phone call would have saved time on both ends. I guess I'll find out tommrow.

Another thing is I know the head tech and the shop foreman that was there Sat. ( not personally ) But I have used them as a resource for years and they know me by frist name. They did not perform the work. Another tech did. Both of these guys have always supported every Lexus project of mine from the 600hp IS300 to the current IS350 project. I have a feeling they will be just as POed as I am when they find out.

Last edited by HKS350; 04-28-08 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-29-08, 12:37 AM
ISCjonny
Racer

i recently had my dash tsib done also.. the seatbelt ding was back.. but i figured it was since they probably disconnected the battery to do the job.. also.. the mechanic might have disconnected all your aftermarket items because he didnt want to risk shorting out or damaging your parts. maybe it was safety precaution. just my guess.. im sure he wasnt like.. im gonna f this guy by messing with all his stuff.
Old 04-29-08, 07:26 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I don't know if the SAFC has the same problem as VAFC's, but it is pretty common for VAFC's to loose their settings. Unless you verified that the settings were still correct on the day you took it in, you probably shouldn't assume that the tech changed them. It also isn't clear to what extent the tech was forced to undo your mods (unhook, disconnect, etc.) in order to make the repair you requested. If the tech had to disconnect the NAV unit, then I would expect that he would have to reconnect it per the manual (especially since it is a safety issue). I also understand the NOS warmer being disconnected considering the safety risk.

Honestly, the only thing I would be upset about is that they didn't tell you before they did it. They should have given you the option to pick the car back up without the repair.
Old 04-29-08, 12:32 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The dealership should have called you first to discuss what they were about to do, that would have been the right thing for them to do, and a common courtesy for any reputable business! It will be interesting to hear what they say when you talk to them about what they did to your car without your consent. Keep us posted, and good luck!
Old 04-29-08, 04:20 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Alright Jeremy, what's the verdict????
Old 04-29-08, 04:33 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow that sucks....let us know what they say....

Quick Reply: Should I be pissed? Need your thoughts.