IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Which IS would you recommend for Northern NJ (snowy winters)?
Lexus IS250 AWD
49.12%
Lexus IS350 RWD
50.88%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Need some advice...potential buyer of 250AWD or 350

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-08, 10:38 AM
goodfellaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need some advice...potential buyer of 250AWD or 350

Hey everyone, I'm new to these boards and also to knowledge of Lexus cars. I've been looking into buying a new car over the last few months, and I was originally considering the new Accord Coupe or the Acura TL. Then I checked the Lexus site and fell in love with the IS. Now I'm stuck between the 250AWD and the 350. Being that I live in Northern NJ in a rather high elevation, I wanted some advice on whether to stick with the AWD or go for the extra HP of the 350. I've been driving a 2000 Sebring Coupe for the last 8 years, so I haven't had much experience driving a RWD. Was wondering how drastic the handling difference is between the 250AWD and 350 in wet and snowy/icy conditions. Also, if I were to get the 250AWD, I'd load it with basically every option whereas if I got the 350, I'd probably do without the Birds Eye trim and telescoping memory steering column, etc. I think I am definitely going with the ML Nav in either case as the prospect of 300-Watts and DVD video is pretty nice. So for all you lucky IS owners out there, your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...
Old 02-26-08, 10:44 AM
Foodplz
Driver

I got the AWD because of exactly the weather issue. I live in mid/north MD and we get more of the snow/ice garbage and I preferred the reassurance of AWD. But I do drive a lot and I manage about 26-27 mpg.

I do find myself wishing i had more power... especially in the summer time when I want to roll down the windows and just run a bit.... but with the powerbutton on... its not TOO bad. my only suggestion is that you go and test drive the car yourself.

As for the ML/NAV... I wish I got that too. I only got the Lux package in 06.
Old 02-26-08, 10:47 AM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

LOL...you sound just like me. Im from Long Island, New York. And im stuck with the same choice. Im getting ML regardless but not sure if I want the 250 AWD cuz its only 204HP where as the 350 is 306HP RWD. Im probably just going to get the IS350 and put snow tires on that bad boy lol. Im making a 2009 purchase.
Old 02-26-08, 11:02 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes,the 350 is a rocket on wheels and a fun car to drive but I went with the AWD and I'm in north Jersey.
The 250AWD isn't quick but isn't a slug either.It's adequate,especially with all the NJ traffic.The 250 and insurance will be cheaper too.
You're coming out of a 200 HP Sebring.I would think the 250AWD would be least just as quick or quicker.
Check them both out but just don't drive the 350.
Old 02-26-08, 11:09 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

The 250 that I just had as a loaner was a nice car. Putzing around town, I didn't notice a lack of power, but on the highway is where it felt a bit sluggish.

Once I got my car back, I realized what I had been missing and grinned.

It all comes down to what works for you. Honestly, in northern NJ, hell, in northern Maine, I'd still get the 350 (and maybe a beater truck to get me around 4 months of the year).
Old 02-26-08, 11:55 AM
chums
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

considering your climate situation, the 'safest' option would be to go with awd. however, i have a few friends that drive 350s and swap out tires for winter/summer and say it handles well in the snow.

if thats true, i guess it boils down to your personal preference. when you drive the 250 compared to the 350, there is a noticeable difference in power. but as joe said, the 250 isnt quick, but not too slow either.
Old 02-27-08, 12:18 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason I bought my AWD was because the winters in Chicago. it proved to pay off this year as we were hit bad all winter with snow. Also, for the rain. I really like the security of AWD. If I lived in the south, 350 all the way.
Old 02-27-08, 12:46 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

We live in the Pacific Northwest and have had many an occasion to run our mountain passes in the winter (elevations up to 4000+ feet). This has been a unique winter here in that we have had 159% of normal snowfall (about 18 feet on Stevens Pass), and our passes as well as the lowlands here (with lots of hills) have been hard hit with ice and snow. Our 250 AWD, with stock tires has handled all manner of these conditions without a hitch. I will however, caution you about the front air dam - or as we affectionately call it – “the snow plow”. When the white stuff gets to be about two feet plus deep, the air dam just starts pushing snow into a mound in front of your hood and stops you cold! I can’t see any advantage to the 350 under similar conditions, you’d be lucky to even manage to push snow.

Your best bet is to drive both, figure what you will need to get around and make the decision based on that.

Last edited by Orzel; 02-27-08 at 12:47 PM. Reason: stupid fat fingers
Old 02-27-08, 12:57 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

May I suggest the GS350 AWD...
Old 02-27-08, 01:15 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
May I suggest the GS350 AWD...
That's one sick car, I just seen one of these in the showroom. I love the interior space. My neighbor has a GS300 AWD and loves it.
Old 02-27-08, 02:32 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

if i were you, i'd get the AWD especially if it's your daily car. it comes down to this, how often will you really use all that power? not only that, the extra power will be a hit on your gas mileage (though not by a lot unless you floor it). and the added security of AWD is a welcome and you don't need to get a set of snow tires either. also you'll get to save about $3-5000 (depending on options and whatnot) if you choose the AWD. that money can be used for something else and/or modifications/personalization. those are the reasons why i chose the AWD (plus it's my first car so i cannot complain).

i also realized that it wasn't exactly quick but it's sufficient. the 0-60 isn't great but from a rolling start, it accelerates pretty well. but even all this, i'll admit there are times i prefer to have the extra power but that's why i intend to get a used s2000 or evo as a weekend car to fill in that void. really you just gotta look at your own situation in life.
Old 03-02-08, 06:24 PM
goodfellaz
Driver School Candidate

I went and test drove both the 250AWD and 350 on Thursday and there really is no comparison now in my opinion. The power of the 350 is far too enticing to pass up. Now all I need is to negotiate a price. I'm looking to get a 350 with the Luxury Plus package w/ 18" wheels, spoiler, and ML Nav package. A lot of people on the forums have been saying they were getting their cars for about $500 over invoice. The dealership here in northern NJ only has one 350 in stock (the one I drove, and that the dealer actually drove very hard - he was red-lining it so I wouldnt want that one) and they generally have none in stock with an ML system. So basically I'll be ordering one and if I can get it for the price I want I'll go with it. Think $500 over invoice is possible with a custom order?
Old 03-02-08, 08:23 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Good choice. Trust me, the expense possibly of snow tires is WELL worth the extra power! You can always buy snow tires with the 350, you can't add an extra 100 or so h.power to the 250 as easily!
Old 03-02-08, 10:15 PM
Lex Law
Pole Position

Originally Posted by goodfellaz
I went and test drove both the 250AWD and 350 on Thursday...
If you'd read some of the other threads on this subject, you'd know NEVER to have done that if you wanted the AWD.
Old 03-05-08, 12:40 PM
goodfellaz
Driver School Candidate

Looks like the IS350 voters are catching up haha.....I put an inquiry into my local dealer as to whether or not they could order me an IS350 from the factory for $500 over invoice. I'd be looking for the 350 with Luxury Plus w/ 18" wheels, ML Nav and spoiler. The sales rep I have been dealing with says he thinks it'll be a go because they usually will settle for $500-$1k over invoice, but he just has to discuss and negotiate with his sales manager. He'll be calling me back in a few days....if the price is right, I may be on my way to a nice, shiny IS350 come May/June

Quick Reply: Need some advice...potential buyer of 250AWD or 350