IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Best Performance Tires for Stock 18 rims

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-08, 04:48 PM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is best to get if I just want a tire that can perform a bit better than the stock Dunlops & can last 20-30k??
Old 04-18-08, 11:06 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I got RE950s in my 99 honda accord v6....ok performance but much less road noise.....
Old 04-19-08, 07:29 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pivo154
What is best to get if I just want a tire that can perform a bit better than the stock Dunlops & can last 20-30k??
What people are trying to say is that there is no right answer to this question. There are many very good tires, each of which is better at certain things than the other. As far as a tire than can perform better than the dunlops and last 20k+, I can think of about 5 off hand.
Old 04-19-08, 08:29 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
What people are trying to say is that there is no right answer to this question. There are many very good tires, each of which is better at certain things than the other. As far as a tire than can perform better than the dunlops and last 20k+, I can think of about 5 off hand.
I have sent PM's to the OP on this many of times

He needs to decide...what is most important.

Tread Life "or" Performance. IMO they dont mix. Either you go with a "SUMMER" tire and deal with the fact that you wont get a lot of miles from them "or" get all season tires that will last you longer and forgive the performance.

2 great tires...1 okay tire. (NOTE: IMO)

Micheline PS2's = Summer and short tread life! (best)
Micheline Pilot Sport A/S = longer tread life (better)
Bridgestone RE050A = (Good) **you want these tires? I will sell you them for cheap from my 18" rims. Let me know. PM me if so.

You have 2 great tires to choose from. if you can live with 20k miles or better then go with the PS2's and you wont look back once!! Want to save $$ and have a tire that last longer go with the Pilot's...but you will look back and wish you went with the PS2's
Old 04-19-08, 11:06 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

You should be able to get 20k out of a set of PS2s, right? Those will be my next tire, unless something better comes out in the next few years.
Old 04-19-08, 11:37 AM
mr. haison
Pole Position

I currently have the Potenza RE050 Pole Positions. They are about as quiet as the stock Dunlops. I have about 10k on them and with treadwear of 140, they seem to have plenty of life in them. I also have 5 autocross events since I have had them on and great stability in the rain.
Old 04-19-08, 01:17 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
You should be able to get 20k out of a set of PS2s, right? Those will be my next tire, unless something better comes out in the next few years.
Yes you can get more then 20k out of them. I would say that is a worse case scenario. To the OP he said he was looking to get 20k+ then IMO PS2's are the right tire for performance and 20k+ miles. I will post what I get but I would imagine 30-35k out of my tires??
Old 04-19-08, 01:24 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
Yes you can get more then 20k out of them. I would say that is a worse case scenario. To the OP he said he was looking to get 20k+ then IMO PS2's are the right tire for performance and 20k+ miles. I will post what I get but I would imagine 30-35k out of my tires??
Is PS2 quieter than RE960AS pole position?

i read the reviews on both of them their performance just equal..but quietness i dont know
Old 04-19-08, 01:26 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89

i read the reviews on both of them their performance just equal..but quietness i dont know
RE960AS = PS2 for performance? I think not. The PS2 is the benchmark for all other ultra high performance summer tires.
Old 04-19-08, 01:29 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

PS2's are not comparable to the RE960 a/s...The Pilot Sports a/s would be the comparable tire.

The PS2's are a quiet tire. The RE9050A are a noisy tire. That was on my 18" rims (OEM) and my car is much quieter now!

for a "summer" tire PS2's are the best you can get. They will cost you also. I have had them for a month and I have had the Pilot A/S on a car in the past. The A/S doesn't compare to these tires and is about double the cost.

Being you don't need an A/S tire in your area I would give them a shot. You will be more then happy with them!! Our car is on rails with these puppy's
Old 04-19-08, 01:46 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
PS2's are not comparable to the RE960 a/s...The Pilot Sports a/s would be the comparable tire.

The PS2's are a quiet tire. The RE9050A are a noisy tire. That was on my 18" rims (OEM) and my car is much quieter now!

for a "summer" tire PS2's are the best you can get. They will cost you also. I have had them for a month and I have had the Pilot A/S on a car in the past. The A/S doesn't compare to these tires and is about double the cost.

Being you don't need an A/S tire in your area I would give them a shot. You will be more then happy with them!! Our car is on rails with these puppy's
hmm so you tried the RE960 AS before in your stock rim? they are not quiet? hmmm why is the numbers show they are quiet.

and you were saying the PS2 is quieter..even if you have your aftermarket wheels on? this is interesting.. might as well get PS2 now.. coz I always have the thoughts the RE960AS pole position is the quietest, and best performing tires. along with Yoko Advan S4 too..

Edit: passnu, look at the PS2 and RE960AS numbers:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS

by looking at these number, aren't u convinced to go with RE960AS?

Last edited by tfz_hebe89; 04-19-08 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-19-08, 02:28 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

hmm so you tried the RE960 AS before in your stock rim? they are not quiet? hmmm why is the numbers show they are quiet.

and you were saying the PS2 is quieter..even if you have your aftermarket wheels on? this is interesting.. might as well get PS2 now.. coz I always have the thoughts the RE960AS pole position is the quietest, and best performing tires. along with Yoko Advan S4 too..

Edit: passnu, look at the PS2 and RE960AS numbers:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS

by looking at these number, aren't u convinced to go with RE960AS?
I did say RE9050A And NO they where not a Quiet tire.
PS2 is the best tire on the market for a SUMMER (max performance tire)
Out of all the A/S tires I have owned the Pilot Sport A/S has been the best for me and my aggressive driving. I beat the **** out of my car and NO tire has performed for me like the PS2's.

Those #'s are from people who have purchased those tires. Take the avg person and read the post on there. They are not happy because they didnt get 45k miles out of the tires Not a report produced by Tire Rack. So since I didn't rant an rave about these tires on Discount Tires web site they must suck j/k Seriously those mean nothing. Call TireRack and or Discount and talk the tire experts to see what they say. My discount tire said the PS2's to me. I said I wanted the best performance tire on the street today and they said PS2's. They asked if I knew the tread wear and the cost. Those where not important to me!! Yes I am crazy. I love to drive this and all my cars hard and enjoy them. The RE960AS I am sure is an okay tire being A/S. I dont know how you drive your car so best for you to decide. They make good tires and I think I am one of the few that like the OEM tires (RE050a) that was on my car. Does not compare to the new tires but they are 1/3 the price of my PS2's and offer 160AA vs. 240AA. If I was looking for an all season tire and to get miles out of them I would purchase the Pilot Sports again from past experience. I had them on a BMW 540i and they where much better then the Dunlops they had on the car.

Both are good tires. The PS2's area much quieter even with them being 19" vs 18" on my aftermarket rims. Only telling you from personal experience. If they where loud I would tell you. PM member Brian231 as he was in my car last week after helping me install NEW brakes. I only wish I was in an area like you to drive all year round on summer tires