IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Noise from steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-08, 07:43 PM
GordoNx3o9
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from steering wheel?

When turning the steering wheel while stopped or parallel parking, the steering wheel makes noises as if it needs lubricant or something. It's starting to annoy me now, maybe it's getting louder than before. Even my girlfriend hears it and usually she doesn't pay attention to these things. Anyone else hear it or know what can cause this?
Old 04-14-08, 08:50 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it sort of a creaking sound when you get close to full-crank?
Old 04-14-08, 11:30 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Taking a stab in the dark but maybe you don't have enough steering fluid? I remember my dad's Escalade had a steering pump problem and it was making that same sound.
Old 04-14-08, 11:39 PM
stvn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mesca
Taking a stab in the dark but maybe you don't have enough steering fluid? I remember my dad's Escalade had a steering pump problem and it was making that same sound.
that would be my guess too
Old 04-15-08, 04:22 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mesca
These cars don't have power steering fluid or a power steering pump or belt. The system is completely electric.
If the noise is at the steering wheel perhaps it's rubbing on something? Take a look completely around the wheel where it attaches and see if you can find where the noise is coming from. If not, time for a dealer visit.
Old 04-15-08, 05:22 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

had similar problem with my civic.

simptoms: when moving really slowly (1-20km/h) and turning steeringwheel to any side, I could hear some cracking noise, like some kind of nuts cracking.

problem: steering rack defect. It was replaced on warranty.

p.s. it was also electric.

take it to dealer if u can imitate that sound at any time. if warranty has already ended, it would cost a lot to change if its the thing..
Old 04-15-08, 05:34 AM
A.C Milan
Lead Lap

i had a problem similar to that, when i'm going too slow in parking lot's or just parking the car and steer i hear a voice from the front wheels.

told the dealer about it and they fixed it, they said they just oiled and greased something we call "arms" or "scissors" , i don't know the mechanical name of it.
i never heard the sound again.
Old 04-15-08, 10:03 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
These cars don't have power steering fluid or a power steering pump or belt. The system is completely electric.
If the noise is at the steering wheel perhaps it's rubbing on something? Take a look completely around the wheel where it attaches and see if you can find where the noise is coming from. If not, time for a dealer visit.
True, no pump or fluid. Hopefully the electric motor is not going. Seems like some members have been having issues with this new design.
Old 02-12-09, 12:23 PM
archaic
Driver School Candidate

I had this problem when I first got my car and the dealer said it was normal. Good news is that the steering link recall that was just issued resolved the noise!
Old 02-12-09, 01:08 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I don't think we have drive by wire steering wheel.
Old 02-12-09, 01:29 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

I have this problem too now and only after the dealer replaced the steering column with the recall!! Im going to complain tomorrow when I take the car in.
Old 02-12-09, 08:30 PM
plynn_250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dojoman
I don't think we have drive by wire steering wheel.
you can have an electric power steering system without being drive by wire its just non hydraulic
Old 02-12-09, 08:39 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Had the same thing on my A4. Ended up being the horn brushes scraping. I doubt the IS has the same set up though.
Old 02-12-09, 09:54 PM
DGZis350
Driver School Candidate

Guys,
I had a bunch of TSB's performed last week @ Sewell Lexus here in Dallas,Tx. One of the TSB's fixed was the Power Steering Link Assm. Makes no noise at all. I remember hearing a creak or two every now and then. Now, IS is all freshened up from the dealer and ready to roll.
Old 02-12-09, 10:09 PM
cvex
Driver

How do you know if your car is on the recall list? Mines make a thump/pop noise when turning slow. Been doing this since I got it home but Im afraid because i have lowering springs they tend to blame it on that if i bring it it without a recall.

Quick Reply: Noise from steering wheel?