WTF is a headlamp washer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-08, 08:13 AM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF is a headlamp washer?

What is heck is a headlamp washer?

What does it do?...(it sounds like it washes the headlamps!)

Does this make the car look ugly?

Is it functional?

Does it come with the LT/LL Lux Packages as standard?

To save myself the money, I'll wash my own headlamps
Old 04-12-08, 08:21 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's exactly what it says, it washes headlamps through little nozzles set into the top bumper cover. Somewhat useful in areas that get lots of crappy weather, not so useful in drier areas. I've never had a car equipped with one, and haven't missed it.
Old 04-12-08, 09:20 AM
Audiofan2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Evitzee
It's exactly what it says, it washes headlamps through little nozzles set into the top bumper cover. Somewhat useful in areas that get lots of crappy weather, not so useful in drier areas. I've never had a car equipped with one, and haven't missed it.
I've been through a ton of crappy weather over this past winter, never needed it Dealer gave me a loaner RX a few times with them, didn't seem to do much.
Old 04-12-08, 10:10 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It's a standalone option, not part of any packages...it's about $100 IIRC
Old 04-12-08, 10:11 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Volvo had these washers along with Audi many years back. Just another thing to break and cost money to repair down the road IMO. I live in the Chicago suburbs where salt and debris love to cake on the headlights. I would rather remove with a cloth or car wash than have the unit in the front bumper freeze. This may be of help below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlight_washer
Old 04-12-08, 10:14 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

headlight washer = when you come to a stop light and some guy runs up and starts doing your window and you tell him to do your headlights too.
Old 04-12-08, 10:18 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
headlight washer = when you come to a stop light and some guy runs up and starts doing your window and you tell him to do your headlights too.
NIIIICCCCE!!!! And here I thought this only occurs on the entrance ramps to the highways in Chicago (LOL)!!!!
Old 04-12-08, 10:28 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by MLIAISON
What is heck is a headlamp washer?
Sound it out, break down the sentence. I'll bet you can figure it out all by yourself.
Old 04-12-08, 10:39 AM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Sound it out, break down the sentence. I'll bet you can figure it out all by yourself.
Im not retarded....lol.......but did you read my ENTIRE post
Old 04-12-08, 10:54 AM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have that option. Have not used them other than the first day I brought the car home. I bought this option for one reason only. Here's the way it works........Neighbor comes over and says "Nice car. Did you get it well equipped?". With that question how could I say "Yes, well equipped but no headlamp washer". Nope, I can now say, "Why yes, it has ALL the options available when I ordered it!" "Look, see I can even wash the headlights!".

Best $100.00 bucks spent!!
Old 04-12-08, 12:43 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

I have them and don't care for them. If they only sprayed when I pushed their dedicated button, I'd consider them a useful option for those couple days each winter when road salt obscures the light output. But unfortunately they spray anytime you wash the windshield with the lights on. Waste of fluid, and it gets the hood dirty. Technique posted a mod to fix that misfeature, which I haven't done yet.
Old 04-12-08, 12:45 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bichon
I have them and don't care for them. If they only sprayed when I pushed their dedicated button, I'd consider them a useful option for those couple days each winter when road salt obscures the light output. But unfortunately they spray anytime you wash the windshield with the lights on. Waste of fluid, and it gets the hood dirty. Technique posted a mod to fix that misfeature, which I haven't done yet.
Sounds like the headlight washers are activated with the wiper mist and not a separate button? I never really played with this feature on any car come to think of it.
Old 04-12-08, 01:22 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
You are SO right. They spay everywhere. On the one test with the neighbors they started screaming "STOP" you are getting washer fluid all over the hood! Ahhh, but I have them!!!!
Old 04-12-08, 02:36 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian231
Sounds like the headlight washers are activated with the wiper mist and not a separate button? I never really played with this feature on any car come to think of it.
They are activated with the wiper mist ONLY when the headlights are on. They also have their own button, so you can activate them at any time.
Old 04-12-08, 02:42 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

MLIAISON...stop hogging up all these threads I am going to send Brian to visit you if you don't!! LOL...

Man just go by a car already. 09?? what for?? I will send Brian up to help you out okay Winter is going to be around the corner. Get it now so you can enjoy the summer before its all over!!!

PS...still dont know what is up with you and Brian but not going to ask

Quick Reply: WTF is a headlamp washer?