IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My car got keyed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-08, 10:37 PM
Perfection
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car got keyed.

So this afternoon I went to visit my mom at her clinic, and when I leave, I see this huge white scratch starting at my rear right passenger door handle going all the way to the front of the car. Obviously someone has keyed me since the scratch is a little deep. I am wondering If I can just fix this with touch up paint, but I don't think so. Can somebody give me quotes on the repaint?

-I knew I shouldn't have gone to visit my mom since her clinic isn't located in that good of an area. This is why she bought a Camry Hybrid to use as her DD instead of her RX400h.
Old 04-09-08, 10:55 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that, sounds like it's a pretty long gash too...
Old 04-10-08, 02:00 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if you can catch your fingernail in the scratch then it'll most likely need a repaint. i got keyed on my driver door right underneath the mirror and they had to repaint the door AND blend the fender. it was like 600? just for that.
Old 04-10-08, 09:13 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Dude that sucks that some ghetto @sshole did this to your car. I would find a reputable place to take it to (someone that won't tell you BS), and see if they say if it's "touch up paint" possible.
Old 04-10-08, 09:37 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear about your vandalism. I have always feared someone doing the same to my cars. There are some damaged people out there, and when they see something nice, something unabtainable for them, they have to damage it. Hope you get it fixed to your satisfaction, and soon!
Old 04-10-08, 09:50 AM
Namster
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Man that really sucks. I'll be really pissed if that happens to me. Some idiots probably got nothing better to do than to vandalise other's property. One of my co-workers got keyed with his brand new G35 back in 06. He was devastated, but don't recall how much he got it repainted. You might check to see if the clinic has a surveillance camera.
Old 04-10-08, 09:53 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is such BS that someone with no life did that!!! What goes around comes around via Karma. Sometimes you can wet sand and blend. Can you post some pics?
Old 04-10-08, 09:58 AM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Perfection
So this afternoon I went to visit my mom at her clinic, and when I leave, I see this huge white scratch starting at my rear right passenger door handle going all the way to the front of the car. Obviously someone has keyed me since the scratch is a little deep. I am wondering If I can just fix this with touch up paint, but I don't think so. Can somebody give me quotes on the repaint?

-I knew I shouldn't have gone to visit my mom since her clinic isn't located in that good of an area. This is why she bought a Camry Hybrid to use as her DD instead of her RX400h.

damn sorry to hear that man.. my GS got keyed last week at the movies... the detailer at the dealer buffed it and its much better, i know the scratch is there but its really really hard to see. I was given the option to get the whole two doors and quarter panel repainted. which wouldve cost 1500+.
try getting it buffed and u can go from there.
Old 04-10-08, 12:27 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian231
That is such BS that someone with no life did that!!! What goes around comes around via Karma. Sometimes you can wet sand and blend. Can you post some pics?
I agree Good chance you will need to have it painted. I would have someone look at it for you just incase. Make a report of this also just incase its really bad for insurance reasons you have documentation.

Best of luck with everything!
Old 04-10-08, 12:34 PM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

Touch-up paint won't do the job, you need to repaint and blend both doors, that's gonna cost you 700+, good luck
Old 04-10-08, 01:22 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Yeah if it's deep, you have no choice but to either leave it or repaint.

On a somewhat related topic, does anyone know of any good substances, products or procedures (aside from just buffing it out) to remove surface scratches? Sometimes I just hate the soft Lexus paint...
Old 04-10-08, 01:28 PM
Witt
Driver School Candidate

I can't stand the fact that people get jealous and feel the need to damage other people's property. People like that need to have their head examined, and put in the pokey with Bubba for a while. No, but seriously, that person that did that is extremely jealous that your car looks so good. This person is probably a loner, has no friends and has never been with a woman before. It's pent up aggression that this person took out on your car. I hope they feel better. Better yet, I hope the repair doesn't cost you too much. Sorry to hear about your car.
Old 04-10-08, 01:28 PM
Tommy350
Lead Lap

man thats not fun..... insurence? best thing to do....
Old 04-10-08, 04:19 PM
lex-matt
Rookie

Man, I feel for you! My dad's car was keyed about 6 months ago. It has a special clearcoat process that was a factory option and the shop we took it to was going to charge over a grand to repaint the section

The car needed to be polished badly anyways(lots of swirls etc) so I read up on a few forums and decided to buy a Porter Cable dual action random orbital buffer, the "safe" kind. It will not burn the paint and is very user friendly. Anyways, I bought that, two different pads, and two polishes from Menzerna. I thought the polishing might take away some of the scratch, but to my surprise it is completely gone now! If this is something you are interested in doing, let me know and I will go into more details for you. I would definitely recommend giving it a try though as it beats paying for a paint job that risks being imperfect!

Before:

After, without wax:

Closeup without final polish and wax:
Old 04-10-08, 04:26 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Let's hope that Karma takes its toll on the person who did this despicable act...

Quick Reply: My car got keyed.