IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Big Electrical Problems! Need Your Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-08, 11:15 AM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Electrical Problems! Need Your Help!

Alright Ill make a long story short, my entire center stack (radio, a/c controls, clock) has stopped working due to me grounding out the mini orange wire on the factory amp. The a/c blows cold air but I can't change the speed, temp, anything, its just a blank display. The radio does not function at all. It almost seems like whatever powers the harness that runs to the center stack has totally died because my ipod (vaistech) doesn't turn on automatically with the car like it did.

JM would not cover any of this under warranty due to the "hack job" I did and estimated it would cost anywhere between $2500 to $5000 to fix. I've check every fuse that is related to radio and they all seem to be fine, which concerns me...

If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated cause this is the last thing I need right now. Thank you!
Old 04-09-08, 11:29 AM
accelerate
Lead Lap

Try unplugging your battery for about five minutes and see if this has any affect. Just a thought. Goodluck
Old 04-09-08, 11:31 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by D.Jobin
Alright Ill make a long story short, my entire center stack (radio, a/c controls, clock) has stopped working due to me grounding out the mini orange wire on the factory amp. The a/c blows cold air but I can't change the speed, temp, anything, its just a blank display. The radio does not function at all. It almost seems like whatever powers the harness that runs to the center stack has totally died because my ipod (vaistech) doesn't turn on automatically with the car like it did.

JM would not cover any of this under warranty due to the "hack job" I did and estimated it would cost anywhere between $2500 to $5000 to fix. I've check every fuse that is related to radio and they all seem to be fine, which concerns me...

If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated cause this is the last thing I need right now. Thank you!
If you checked both the fusible link under the hood and under the steering wheel, sounds like the unit itself is fried. Sometimes, the elctrical surge will partially fry out a device leaving it to only have a partial function (I.E. half of the functions working on your temp panel). Unfortunately, you will have to replace the whole device. i would not only check Ebay, but check for parted out cars on salvage sites.
Old 04-09-08, 11:31 AM
accelerate
Lead Lap

You said you checked all the fuses, you know there are fuses in two spots under the hood right.
Old 04-09-08, 11:33 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry dont take this the wrong way but this is the exact reason why I didnt hack my NAV
Old 04-09-08, 11:36 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not good. Try removing your system and reverting everything back to stock.
Old 04-09-08, 11:48 AM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Brian231
If you checked both the fusible link under the hood and under the steering wheel, sounds like the unit itself is fried. Sometimes, the elctrical surge will partially fry out a device leaving it to only have a partial function (I.E. half of the functions working on your temp panel). Unfortunately, you will have to replace the whole device. i would not only check Ebay, but check for parted out cars on salvage sites.
I checked every fuse box in this car that relates to radio, not every fuse, that will happen this weekend. And its not that its functioning partially, its not functioning at all!
Old 04-09-08, 11:49 AM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by accelerate
You said you checked all the fuses, you know there are fuses in two spots under the hood right.
Yes sir, sure do.
Old 04-09-08, 11:49 AM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Sorry dont take this the wrong way but this is the exact reason why I didnt hack my NAV
I don't blame you. I'm never touching anything electrical in this car again! Ive just ruined my 6 month old car.
Old 04-09-08, 11:58 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by D.Jobin
I checked every fuse box in this car that relates to radio, not every fuse, that will happen this weekend. And its not that its functioning partially, its not functioning at all!
There are no integrated fuses within the temp display and navi/radio. Looks like some capaciters are blown and possibole other circuitry. More than likely if all fuses are fine (under hood and under steering wheel), you will have to replace units.
Old 04-09-08, 12:20 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My only advice is to remove the vaistech and all other non oem items you have. First undo the battery then put it back to OEM status and plug the battery back in. I am saying to try this becuase I installed the XM in my car and the first time I have a few things that didnt want to work?? Didnt do anything wrong and its plug and play. I uninstalled it and everything worked again?? I was going crazy trying to figure what the heck was wrong. Well I reinstalled it and all worked just fine. So for the 15 minutes it may take its worth a shot at this point. Then again anything is. Maybe the vaistech unit is fried and causing the issue also? If you have extra grouns attatched to the amp also remove them so everything is exactly as it was prior to the changes.

Try this and post back with an update.
Old 04-09-08, 01:22 PM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by passnu2
My only advice is to remove the vaistech and all other non oem items you have. First undo the battery then put it back to OEM status and plug the battery back in. I am saying to try this becuase I installed the XM in my car and the first time I have a few things that didnt want to work?? Didnt do anything wrong and its plug and play. I uninstalled it and everything worked again?? I was going crazy trying to figure what the heck was wrong. Well I reinstalled it and all worked just fine. So for the 15 minutes it may take its worth a shot at this point. Then again anything is. Maybe the vaistech unit is fried and causing the issue also? If you have extra grouns attatched to the amp also remove them so everything is exactly as it was prior to the changes.

Try this and post back with an update.
Hey its worth a shot, and trust me you guys will be getting a play by play as this unfolds. I have a feeling this is gonna turn into a huge ordeal.
Old 04-09-08, 02:33 PM
kiddolay
Rookie

did you try the fuse box on the passenger side of the car? there is a 10amp fuse all the way towards the front of the car with a gap on both sides. i know you said you've checked all the fuse boxes but just in case you missed it.

I blew that this past weekend and took me a while to find that fuse. Same symptoms, no signal going through the J66-1 (green battery wire) so it won't turn on the radio, which also controls the temp and amp in the trunk. If you check the fuse box on the right side under the hood, there should be a spare 10A fuse.

Last edited by kiddolay; 04-09-08 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-09-08, 02:39 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Question

What were you trying to do when this happened???

and

Was your car on or off when you were doing it??

Joe Z
Old 04-09-08, 02:52 PM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kiddolay
did you try the fuse box on the passenger side of the car? there is a 10amp fuse all the way towards the front of the car with a gap on both sides. i know you said you've checked all the fuse boxes but just in case you missed it.

I blew that this past weekend and took me a while to find that fuse. Same symptoms, no signal going through the J66-1 (green battery wire) so it won't turn on the radio, which also controls the temp and amp in the trunk. If you check the fuse box on the right side under the hood, there should be a spare 10A fuse.
Ill check it and keep my fingers crossed!

Quick Reply: Big Electrical Problems! Need Your Help!